Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #46
lakerspng
National High School Star

lakerspng is considered somewhat coollakerspng is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2011 NBA Playoffs Round 1: Mavericks vs Trail Blazers

Really looking forward to watching this series. Not only for pure entertainment value, as I think it will be a hard fought struggle, but because it will be fun watching our next two possible opponents beat the cr@p out of each other. Have a feeling this one's going to be very physical.

Love the matchups between Andre Miller vs. Jason Kidd and LMA vs. Dirk and Gerald Wallace vs Shawn Marion.

Rose Garden should be loud as hell, going to be a great atmosphere.

biggest X factor: Brandon Roy for Portland. If he can give them a strong contribution off the bench, they'll pull off the upset.

I think Dallas will pull out a nailbiter at home in Game 7.
lakerspng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #47
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Definitely the biggest upset potential of all first round matchups. Portland is hot and they know their identity. Dallas has been known to choke obviously(not Dirk's fault).

Matchups wise, it gets interesting.

Miller vs. Kidd at the point is pretty even, 2 vets who will do a lot to make their teams better. Neither is athletic enough anymore to get a ton of penetration or play great D. Both post up well. Beaubois could be a difference maker here and Barea has been very good for Dallas.

SG is interesting. Both teams have issues. Terry is a killer, but not a starting 2 and Wes Matthews may take him away in the 4th, when he's most valuable. What Brandon Roy can give Portland is key. Dallas will go small here a lot with 2 of Kidd,Barea,Terry and Beaubois paired up.

Up front, I feel like Marion's main contribution/job will be to shut down G.Wallace. If he can't kill you with his athelticism, Portland loses a big weapon. Not sure who guards Dirk. They'll throw Wallace at him at times and he'll limit certain things Dirk does, but overall I think Dirk would destroy him. I think when Camby and Aldridge are out there, Aldridge guards him and he could do alright. On the other end though, I think Chandler may do a great job takign away LA. Overall Dallas' size may be their big advantage. Caron could be the X factor
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #48
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster

Mavs will win all games at home and atleast one road game, Dirk is unstoppable.

Mavs in 5 or 6
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #49
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't no way but i think Portland wins in 6 or Dallas wins in 7.
It's going to be fun, very good matchups to see.
I think the keys for this game are Roy in Portland's side and Barea in Mavs's side.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #50
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

NBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Blazers in 6.. Portland in my opinion has more talent and a low post presence.. You can't win without one IN THE PLAYOFFS
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullit
Mavs will win all games at home and atleast one road game, Dirk is unstoppable.

Mavs in 5 or 6

Mavs will not win in 5. That is simply a fantasy. Dirk would have to average 45 for the series for the Mavs to win in 5.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #52
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
Blazers in 6.. Portland in my opinion has more talent and a low post presence.. You can't win without one IN THE PLAYOFFS

You can win, its just harder.

Portland has a lot more talent and a favorable matchup.

Gerald Wallace is going to shred us. We have no answer for him at small forward. Marion will wear down as the series goes on if he has to check wallace and keep him off the glass.

Our 2nd best player, Terry, is averaging 15 points 2 rebounds 3 assists on 41% shooting the last 4 years in the playoffs in 34 minutes of play. That is the weak link on this mavs team. No 2nd option. With a healthy Butler, I don't think the Blazers would have stood much of a chance without homecourt.

For the Mavs to even have a chance, Dirk has to be firing on all cylinders. Maybe he's got another great series in him, but its going to be tough. The Blazers can throw a lot of bodies at him from Wallace to Batum to LA to Camby.

My pick is Blazers in 6. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Great article on Dirk and the Mavs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...eff&id=6345740

Dirk is one of 4 players in NBA history to average over 25 points and 10 rebounds for his career in the playoffs.

Dirk averages 26/11/3 for his career in the playoffs (rounded)

Last edited by DMAVS41 : 04-14-2011 at 03:33 PM.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #53
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
You can win, its just harder.

Portland has a lot more talent and a favorable matchup.

Gerald Wallace is going to shred us. We have no answer for him at small forward. Marion will wear down as the series goes on if he has to check wallace and keep him off the glass.

Our 2nd best player, Terry, is averaging 15 points 2 rebounds 3 assists on 41% shooting the last 4 years in the playoffs in 34 minutes of play. That is the weak link on this mavs team. No 2nd option. With a healthy Butler, I don't think the Blazers would have stood much of a chance without homecourt.

For the Mavs to even have a chance, Dirk has to be firing on all cylinders. Maybe he's got another great series in him, but its going to be tough. The Blazers can throw a lot of bodies at him from Wallace to Batum to LA to Camby.

My pick is Blazers in 6. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Great article on Dirk and the Mavs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...eff&id=6345740

Dirk is one of 4 players in NBA history to average over 25 points and 10 rebounds for his career in the playoffs.

Dirk averages 26/11/3 for his career in the playoffs (rounded)

I gotta give props where they are due.

For some reason, all the Mavs fans on this site are very level headed and realistic (unlike many of the troll homers of the other teams, like SinJack, ashbelly, PurpleChuck, etc).

Good on you.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #54
FF1
Serious playground baller

FF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat cool

It's easy to say stuff like "LA can match Dirk". It's also easy to say stuff like "Dirk is going to dominate Portland like he usually does".

Also, we didn't have TC in the 3 point game that portland won. TC is going to be huge in the playoffs IMO.
FF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #55
FF1

FF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
Blazers in 6. They have enough bodies to put on Dirk and they score more in the paint. Mavericks are too jump shot dependent. They can beat any opponent when they are hot and they can lost to any opponent if they are ice cold.

Umm. Have you ever watched a Blazers game? If Roy/Batum/Rudy aren't hitting their shots, they aren't winning. LA can only do so much.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #56
DirkNowitzki41
Monta Have It All

DirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's disappointing we have to face Portland instead of NO in the first round, but I still say we win in 6.

Damn Kobe
DirkNowitzki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #57
Mr Know It All
Local High School Star

Mr Know It All has decent reputationMr Know It All has decent reputation

For Portland to win, they must steal one of the first two games in Dallas IMO. Dallas is a very good road team and to go into Portland with a 2-0 I would expect them to at least take one.

This is probably going to be a great series, but people underestimate the Mavericks. When Chandler and Dirk both play they're 51-13, meaning that if both of those guys stay healthy they are quite formidable. Dirk looked ready in the game against New Orleans with 32 points in 32 minutes, already in playoff mode.

If Terry and Kidd can hit their open looks, then the Mavericks take this in 5 or 6. If they shoot poorly, then this series goes 6 or 7 and the Blazers become favoured.

My pick: Mavericks in 6
Mr Know It All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #58
FF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
For Portland to win, they must steal one of the first two games in Dallas IMO. Dallas is a very good road team and to go into Portland with a 2-0 I would expect them to at least take one.

This is probably going to be a great series, but people underestimate the Mavericks. When Chandler and Dirk both play they're 51-13, meaning that if both of those guys stay healthy they are quite formidable. Dirk looked ready in the game against New Orleans with 32 points in 32 minutes, already in playoff mode.

If Terry and Kidd can hit their open looks, then the Mavericks take this in 5 or 6. If they shoot poorly, then this series goes 6 or 7 and the Blazers become favoured.

My pick: Mavericks in 6

I do not think Dallas goes into Portland and steals one of the first two games there. If Dallas has to win on the road, it'll have to be game 6 IMO. I think Dallas will be shell shocked in the arena for the first couple of trips just like they were with GS. Honestly, Blazer fans >(crazier) Golden State fans.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #59
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
I gotta give props where they are due.

For some reason, all the Mavs fans on this site are very level headed and realistic (unlike many of the troll homers of the other teams, like SinJack, ashbelly, PurpleChuck, etc).

Good on you.

I've been watching this Mavs team and Dirk pretty much nightly for the last decade. I can tell you that this would have been the best Mavericks team ever if Butler was healthy or we had traded for Gerald Wallace. We are missing one very key piece. A reliable 2nd option that can score and carry this team for stretches if Dirk is off the floor or not playing great.

Butler and Wallace would have given us that and so much more. Especially Wallace. Wallace would have provided the kind of defense and rebounding and toughness we need at the small forward position.

Just for fun, imagine if the Mavericks had the following:

Kidd/Stevenson/Wallace/Dirk/Chandler as the starting group.

That is a huge team that is actually very good defensively and would arguably be the best rebounding lineup in the game.

Terry/Barea/Marion/Haywood/Peja/Roddy off the bench. Obviously the rotation would be shortened to pretty much only 4 of those guys, but we would have the luxury of throwing so many different looks at teams.

Crunch time? We already have arguably the most clutch player of this era in Dirk. Terry always is dangerous.

Imagine this lineup in crunch time on both ends:

Kidd/Terry/Wallace/Dirk/Chandler. With the ability to go small and play:

Kidd/Terry/Marion/Wallace/Dirk.

That is deadly and a nightmare matchup for anyone.

Instead, the Mavs sat on Butler's expiring contract and did nothing. We now face the team that did land Wallace. As a Mavs fan this is typical. Another year where we make a dumb front office move that is going to cost us not only this year, but in the future.

I just feel sorry for Dirk. He's got a bad rap for a couple of poor series. He's gone out there night in night out and led this team to wins consistently. He steps up his game considerably in the playoffs and is actually one of the best rebounders of this era when it matters most.

I'm devastated to watch another year go by without a legit chance at the title. This year is the worst though. Horrible luck with Butler going down and the front office doing nothing. This year we really had a chance with Butler or Wallace. Now, its looking like another first round loss. If we are lucky enough to beat the Blazers, we are going to get murdered by the Lakers.

Ugh....
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #60
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation

Mavs losing in the first round again .................................................

what's new
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: