Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default How to stop fadeaways?

My friend, who has hops(also is half black lol), developed this move where he just spins then fades away. He used to miss all the time. Then he started practicing it alone for hours. Now he makes it half of the time. It's a really dangerous move, because he spin moves and either steps on your foot or pushes you with his spin the goes back for a shot. How do you stop that?
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How to stop fadeaways?

You just have to try multiple techniques, whether it's shying away from contact so that you can attack him when he pulls up or giving little bumps prior to the move to try and put him off balance. Obviously getting a hand in the face is a good technique
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

#1. sag off so he's still in front of you after the spin then just time the block or he wont even be able to get the shot off

#2. play tight defense, don't even let him get into his stance for the spin off, before he spins or during his spin try to strip the ball

if he only has that move then it should be relatively easy to stop , you know he's looking for contact so pull the chair on him a couple times to keep him honest

you have to switch up your defense, like you do offense, throw in a couple "fakes" in there so he never knows how you are going to play him next
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Trying to bump him a little is probably the best thing you can do. If you try and block the shot you leave yourself vulnerable to up and unders... but i mean if you can get a hand in face it obv. makes shots tougher. Defense in the post is all about bumping people and getting away with it tho... getting the person off balance is always going to make the shot tougher. Perkins is great at this.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pretty easy. Be tall . No, but you have to get a feel of the offensive player, and which side they're going to shoot from. Elevate as high as you can once his feet are leaving the ground. Another great method is to just put your hand in his face. Close your fingers and just block his vision before he has a good look at the basket. It can be really effective, especially against taller players.

But it's all about positioning, take control before the other player gets the ball. That's the most important part. Push him and take him out of his comfort zone, and as far away from the basket as you can.

And remember to always contest the shot, every single time.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

Play tighter defense. If he's much more taller than you, not much to do besides fouling him.
Do what Battier does, instead of going for the block, put your hand right in front of his face and block his vision.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
Play tighter defense. If he's much more taller than you, not much to do besides fouling him.
Do what Battier does, instead of going for the block, put your hand right in front of his face and block his vision.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
fukwan81
Can barely lace up my sneakers

fukwan81 has an OK reputation so far

I guess the best thing to do in that situation is to get good positioning, contest the shot, and to try to disrupt his concentration and focus while he's shooting. Its kinda like messing with a guy's head to mess his shot up by taking his focus off the shot. If he only makes it like half the time then that definitely increases the odds of a miss. I would kinda talk to him saying stuff like "why are you using this shot it doesn't have a chance of going in" you know stuff like that. If you can get in a guys head while getting a hand in his face you've got him beat
fukwan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hmm...thats a tough one. What I would do is attack his spin really quickly and contest right away. Like when he turns to the right, I would take up all of the space as soon as possible just so that I can affect his release.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A hodgepodge of solid advice already offered here. I think your defensive options definitely depend on what this player has in his bag of tricks. Is the fallaway his go-to post move? Does he have anything else in the repertoire? I have indeed played against respectable players who really only faded out of the post. It was very much effective, but I eventually adjusted. It didn't completely eliminate their effectiveness of course, but if I could anticipate their fallaway, and I knew that's exactly what was coming, then it definitely helped in affecting their shot.

As Swaggin mentioned, if his post moves run deep, things could get a little dicier. It just happens that my older brother has the largest assortment of post moves I've seen since Hakeem Olajuwon. This means he may bust me with a fallaway on one possession, then catch me cheating on the fallaway the following possession and subsequently hit me with the step through. In the case of someone with a really refined post game, you are going to want to just make things tougher on him (again, as other posters mentioned). Attempt to force him to catch an entry pass further away from the basket. Muscle him out of his comfort zone. Solidly contest even if a block is out of the picture.

Through all this I forgot to ask, is this a post move or a move while facing the basket?
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

A decent player who can consistently make fadeaways is pretty much unstoppable. If you play him to tight, he'll give you a head fake and go for the up and under.

Forcing a player to shoot a fadeaway is good defense in itself.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

no way to stop him from getting it off but you can contest and make the shot more difficult watch what Shane Battier does he sticks his hand in the players' eyes blocking his sight even though he cannot block the shot it disrupts the shooter many times.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
mcrd101
Good High School Starter

mcrd101 has an OK reputation so far

for this thread. i've been developing said fadeaway for a few months now so this helps me think of what i should expect on defense
mcrd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Didn't read the thread.

Don't be afraid to use both hands to block the shot depending on what side of the court you're on. Lots of guys exclusively use their strong hand to block [right] no matter what the situation is. I used my left whenever possible because my left is closer to a right handed shooter. The chances of contesting tightly and blocking a shot is much greater doing this.

Also, there's the tricks like stepping on their foot before they jump, putting a hand on their stomach during shooting, and blocking their view.

NBA players take so many shots that most of them don't even need to see the rim to shoot, but that's the NBA, not high school or on the street. Block their view and they'll miss 99% of the time.

And really, It's timing. Learn your opponents moves and stick with him. Good luck.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
did not realize someone also recommended the battier technique, but definitely co-sign that.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: