Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
TAZORAC
High School JV MVP

TAZORAC has not been impressing people
Default What college player could make an IMMEDIATE impact?

Obviously there are no Lebron James or Shaquille O'neal's in this draft, but what college players could make in immediate impact.

I have to go to Shelvin Mack of Butler
TAZORAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What college player could make an IMMEDIATE impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC
Obviously there are no Lebron James or Shaquille O'neal's in this draft, but what college players could make in immediate impact.

I have to go to Shelvin Mack of Butler

Seriously? Why?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
TAZORAC
High School JV MVP

TAZORAC has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Seriously? Why?

he has a mature game, he reminds me of Michael Finley
TAZORAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Depends how big of an impact you want. A lot of the defensive role player types could, I really like Chris Singleton's versatility guarding up to 4 spots right away. Maybe the Biyambo kid but I'm starting to think he's getting REALLY overhyped.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Depends how big of an impact you want. A lot of the defensive role player types could, I really like Chris Singleton's versatility guarding up to 4 spots right away. Maybe the Biyambo kid but I'm starting to think he's getting REALLY overhyped.

Biyombo's not a college player.

Of guys not declaring for the draft:
Jared Sullinger
Harrison Barnes
Tyler Zeller
John Henson
...just to name a few.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

Of guys not declaring for the draft:
Jared Sullinger
Harrison Barnes
Tyler Zeller
John Henson
...just to name a few.
Well yeah, I know, but potential rookies
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
UwishUhadWall
Kids at the park dunk on me

UwishUhadWall has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

Even if he was a college player, it's absurd to think he'll make an impact as a rookie. Dudes been playing basketball for four years. He's probably the rawest player in this class. And defense and even rebounding is more than just being big and athletic (trust me I know, Javale McGee and Kevin Seraphin are on my squad.) He'll spend next year in the D League; if he even comes over.

And ftr, i'd love it if my Wizards took him at #18 or with our 2nd rounder.

P.S. Barnes still might come out.
UwishUhadWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Even though teams at the top of the draft often take younger, more upside, less polished players, I'd guess those players are going to have a bigger impact only because of having more opportunity to play seeing as their teams are not going to be good.

So I'd say.
Derrick Williams. He's going to have a lot of opportunity to whichever top three team takes him. And he's physically ready to go more than most guys who get drafted that high.

Kyrie Irving. I know he's got some flaws. He's small, and you gotta wonder how he'll hold up over the long season. And he's not the explosive athlete or physical specimen most of the young NBA PGs are (Rondo, Paul, Wall, Deron etc), but he'll have a huge impact on whoever drafts him if for no other reason than the fact that he's going to have the ball ... a lot. It's easier to have an impact with the ball (I know ... groundbreaking analysis). And if he gets on the right young team, he could have weapons around him. He'd look pretty good running next to Wes Johnson and having Kevin Love push outlets to him (it would be rediculous if Minnie spent four draft picks on PGs over three seasons, and the best of the group wound up playing for the Nuggets. I wouldn't think David Kahn would draft him just because of the impression it would give, but I'm not sure he's cognizant of impressions).

As for guys I think may fit in in spite of going later.
Terence Jones and Kawhi Leonard ... both to me have the athletic bodies to find roles even on good teams as defensive presences and lane fillers. It's the type of thing that doesn't take a lot of adjusting to do.

Shelvin Mack. I'm not a huge fan long term, cause I think he is what he is. But because of that, I feel like he can come in and be an immediate combo backup. He's strong physically, so he won't have to make that adjustment as much as most. A little will depend on how good a shooter he actually is. His 3% has a fluctuated enough to make it seem like he may have had a one year abberation. But he also strikes me as the kind of guy who could be a better NBA combo PG than he was a college SG because of the differences in skills. He'll guard. He won't make too many mistakes. He won't be physically overmatched. He won't be overwhelmed by too many moments. And he'll more than likely shoot.

Tobias Harris. For a guy this young, he really seems to have the body to play with men already. He's got a little baby fat, but better that than to just be bullied in my mind. And he's got a little bit of everything in his game. That well roundedness makes me think he can step in a fill in a role on most teams, even good ones.

And real sleepers.
David Lighty, Dmetri McCamey, and Scotty Hopson.

Lighty to me because again, he's long and athletic, and well schooled. He's been around enough to learn the game. He'll respond well to coaching. He's accostome to filling a role, and has played with so many high end talents, that he's already shown an ability to adjust to what's thrown at him. He's a good defender, can shoot it enough, and has shown an ability to handle the ball that to me makes it seem like he won't be swarmed like most young late picks are when they're in the game.
Hopson is another good athlete, and that wing spot usually is the easiest to step into and fill. He's got a scorers mentality, but the body to defend. I could see him getting a bench scorer role right out of the gate, especially if he lands to a bad team at the front end of the second round.
McCamey I've always liked, and I feel like he'll be a better pro than a collegiate PG. College PGs really need to be able to shoot more. But McCamey's got a really strong body and plays in the lane, which is easier to do at the pro level. And whatever personality flaws that may have been a problem in college won't be as big a problem professionally. And he's a bit of a chucker, but that plays better professionally, particularly coming off the bench.

It's almost impossible to predict because so much depends on the situation these guys fall into, but they'd be my highest odds.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Derrick Williams - Especially if he works on his handles, he'll be a tough matchup at the 3

Kyrie Irving - Nba ready PG, good slasher, great playmaker, decent shooter, great in transition. The best player in the draft in my book.

Kemba Walker - I wouldn't worry too much about his size, he's got a super quick first step and breaks down defenses with eaze. Also has nice range on his j

Alec Burks - Still a work in progress, but I still think he's good enough to contribute somewhat in hisfirst year. He'll get even better in 2-3 years

Chris Singleton can contribute with fantastic defense and athleticism

I think both of the Morris twins can score 8-10 points and grab 6 or so rebounds a game
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
Derrick Williams - Especially if he works on his handles, he'll be a tough matchup at the 3

Kyrie Irving - Nba ready PG, good slasher, great playmaker, decent shooter, great in transition. The best player in the draft in my book.

Kemba Walker - I wouldn't worry too much about his size, he's got a super quick first step and breaks down defenses with eaze. Also has nice range on his j

Alec Burks - Still a work in progress, but I still think he's good enough to contribute somewhat in hisfirst year. He'll get even better in 2-3 years

Chris Singleton can contribute with fantastic defense and athleticism

I think both of the Morris twins can score 8-10 points and grab 6 or so rebounds a game

My issue with Kemba out of the chute is that he's going to have to adjust to not only not being asked to provide all his teams scoring, but being specifically asked not to provide all of his teams scoring. He'll get it eventually, but not right away I think.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
My issue with Kemba out of the chute is that he's going to have to adjust to not only not being asked to provide all his teams scoring, but being specifically asked not to provide all of his teams scoring. He'll get it eventually, but not right away I think.

I don't think he will have too much trouble because he played the role of defender and point earlier in his career. It might be a bit of an adjustment for him but I think it will be a relatively small one.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Derrick Williams is the best player in the draft, and will be a big time scorer in the league.

He'll struggle...all rookies do...but he'll be a scorer to be reckoned with even in his first year.

I personally don't think there's another impact player in the draft, with the possible exception of Walker, and I don't see it coming quickly for him. Big adjustment in mind set from being the only guy on your team who can create a shot, to distributing the ball.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: