Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
SunsN07BookIt
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Is Hotel California by the Eagles possibly the greatest song ever made?

Been listening to it constantly on the CD player in my truck for 2 weeks straight and I am still not sick of it. Did the same thing earlier this year with The Animal's - House of the Rising Sun and it took 3 weeks of it on repeat for it to start to lose some of it's appeal with me.
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Doctor Zizmor
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Is Hotel California by the Eagles possibly the greatest song ever made?

arguably, yes. stairway to heaven, let it be and a bunch more are all leading candidates
Doctor Zizmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
catzhernandez
Suck it, Paul George.

Default Re: Is Hotel California by the Eagles possibly the greatest song ever made?

I'm a HUGE classic rock guy. But man, I HATE the Eagles... Hate Hotel California... I like "Take It Easy" though.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I like Seven Bridges Road. And Desperado.

I saw them live probably ten years ago. Me and a bunch of buddies were already at our seats. They were pumping Eagles stuff through the sound system as a check. My buddy got up to get something to eat, and while he was in the hall, he heard Hotel California come on. He figured who'd open with their biggest hit. He came running back, with a slimy Pizza Freet, his shirt covered in sauce, just during the last round of solos.
That same night a guy in the parking lot offered him two TShirts for 10 bucks and said "How bout 15!" He was never that bright.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

no
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

As far as classic rock goes, it's definitely way up there for me. Not that that means much, but... well actually, it means something. I'm not some rock guru, but I've heard a lot, and it's a favourite of mine.

So yeah, **** the haters. It is quite possibly the greatest song of all-time. I said it, and I don't regret it. Take that you, you... purists.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Smokee
Banned

its alright, i kinda like it when i hear it but really not something i go out of the way to hear.

right now my 'classic' favorite is that song 'Angel' (in the mornin) or whatever it is with Shabba. Everytiime i hear it i'm like damn hes the best reggae rapper of alltime :

i dont listen to much music tho, more into talk/sports radio.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
YAWN
Very good NBA starter

check out this new band from the UK
http://www.myspace.com/thebeatles

they have like 83 songs that i think are better than that eagles song.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
SunsN07BookIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
check out this new band from the UK
http://www.myspace.com/thebeatles

they have like 83 songs that i think are better than that eagles song.

I like most popular oldie bands but I am not a big fan of The Beatles. Lot's of catchy songs but nothing that blows me away. Their work doesn't feel that deep(minus Lennon's solo work). Queen is another big band that has me scratching my head on why people liked them so much back in the day and right now.

Last edited by SunsN07BookIt : 12-20-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Baba O'Riley is infinately better
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Not a bad song, but not close to the best classic rock song ever. One of the first songs I learned on my guitar.

No offense, but considering you just got into House of the Rising Son and Hotel California, you're probably in a phase right now. Some stay in it, some move on to other stuff (or both). So you might be just getting a little too excited right now.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but usually when people talk about these types of songs (especially two at the same time), they just experienced them for the first time.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

I'll throw this one out there.

Best song of all time: Cats in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

It's got the music, it's got the lyrics, IT'S GOT IT ALL BABY!
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
SunsN07BookIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Not a bad song, but not close to the best classic rock song ever. One of the first songs I learned on my guitar.

No offense, but considering you just got into House of the Rising Son and Hotel California, you're probably in a phase right now. Some stay in it, some move on to other stuff (or both). So you might be just getting a little too excited right now.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but usually when people talk about these types of songs (especially two at the same time), they just experienced them for the first time.

So what are the top 10 or so best classic rock songs? Songs from.. AC/DC? Led Zeppelin? Areosmith? Rolling Stones?(can't stand them though). Still, Hotel California has to be one of the top classic rock songs ever. How could it not be, it's bad ass!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
I like most popular oldie bands but I am not a big fan of The Beatles. Lot's of catchy songs but nothing that blows me away. Their work doesn't feel that deep(minus Lennon's solo work). Queen is another big band that has me scratching my head on why people liked them so much back in the day and right now.

are you nuts? The Beatles werent deep? You need to learnmore about music my friend.

You are seem oblivious to the fact that both of those bands were doing things that had not been done before at the time. Just go take a history of rock class if you can.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
So what are the top 10 or so best classic rock songs? Songs from.. AC/DC? Led Zeppelin? Areosmith? Rolling Stones?(can't stand them though). Still, Hotel California has to be one of the top classic rock songs ever. How could it not be, it's bad ass!

Too many to choose from literally.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: