Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #151
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Godzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,603
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
It is true. Noone is safe, but that's one of the best qualities of this story


i'm gonna quit watching IF Ned, Arya, and JonSnow all die...

**** that.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #152
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,698
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
So there's 4 books, with a 5th this summer? Will that be it or more to come?
Its gonna be 7 total books, The Winds of Winter will be the 6th and A Dream of Spring will end the series.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #153
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,698
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
It is true. Noone is safe, but that's one of the best qualities of this story
Guys we should maintain a strict spoiler free condition in this thread.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #154
monkeypox
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
So there's 4 books, with a 5th this summer? Will that be it or more to come?

7 total I believe. Originally there were only supposed to be three though but he spends most of book 4 just going on and on about characters that weren't even in the first book really so it's a lot of inflation. The author says he's already planned out a book release schedule that takes into account the show and he can do it in time.

The wife takes the imp because no one's supposed to know that she's not in her home castle. You see that the imp is surprised to see her and is already trying to figure out wtf she's doing there. Assuming he is the one who tried to have her son killed, then it's only a matter of time before he figures it out and something bad happens to her. It doesn't make as much sense from our perspective because Tyrion is shown and a pretty cool guy up to this point.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #155
ZeN
RichardRiderLives
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nova Corps.
Posts: 25,701
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypox
The author says he's already planned out a book release schedule that takes into account the show and he can do it in time.

That notation is curious since hes taken years to finish the past two books..

Its going to be over 5 years inbetween this new book and the previous one.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #156
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,292
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Great episode last night. 8/10. Would be 10/10 if not for the gay chest shaving scene.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #157
Harion
Banned
 
Harion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,828
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
i'm gonna quit watching IF Ned, Arya, and JonSnow all die...

**** that.
don't worry then. you'll be watching the show till it catches up to the last book released.
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #158
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth
 
Crown&Coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LAnd of the Lost
Posts: 3,947
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Ned is my fav character from the get go, but after he told Jaime he ordered the capture of the Imp I got more respect for him.

How many pansies would have been like "I have no clue" but he was looking out for his wife, and he had no idea until like 2 hrs before Jaime confronted him.

Too bad his guards got killed, I really liked the one who got his eye ball stabbed, that is a true G

I love this show!!!!

And how does everyone keep thinking his daughter is a boy? She looks like a girl, except she is always dirty and such. I don't really like his wife too much, but I guess I'm looking at if from a 21st century eye.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #159
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,554
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I'm completely hooked to the point where I now feel obliged to read the books.

I felt like Lady Stark's taking of the Imp was completely warranted. I read the visual just as it was explained. She had to take him or when he got back to King's Landing there would be way to many questions about why she was away from home. And he had been told at Winterfell that she was there, but had fallen too ill to greet him.

I do find the narration of some of the character backgrounds during the tournament a little trite. That feels like one of those things that they're using as a mechanism to cheat to flesh out stories that are much much more elaborate in the books.

It seems to me that Lady Stark is already beginning to believe the Imp that he wasn't involved in the assassination attempt. His saving her for one. And she was giving him protective glances at the obvious insanity of her sister. (An aside, how do they film a scene like that. No way anyone is gonna allow a ten year old boy to breastfeed for the sake of a TV show, that's gotta be violating all sorts of child labor laws. I imagine he's not even allowed to see a naked breast. So how the hell do they shoot it?)

The dialogue between Cersai and Robert at the end was fascinating. It makes Cersai a far more likable character. She just seems worn out, and not necessarily just cold.

The Ned Jamie fight at the end was awesome. The show is excessively violent, which is a good thing. I've never seen a horse beheaded before, for example.

Littlefinger is an underhanded prick. I'm not totally clear on his motive. He cares enough to point Ned in the right direction, but he won't just come out and tell him that he knows the spider is plotting for the return of the targaryens.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #160
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,698
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm completely hooked to the point where I now feel obliged to read the books.

I felt like Lady Stark's taking of the Imp was completely warranted. I read the visual just as it was explained. She had to take him or when he got back to King's Landing there would be way to many questions about why she was away from home. And he had been told at Winterfell that she was there, but had fallen too ill to greet him.

I do find the narration of some of the character backgrounds during the tournament a little trite. That feels like one of those things that they're using as a mechanism to cheat to flesh out stories that are much much more elaborate in the books.

It seems to me that Lady Stark is already beginning to believe the Imp that he wasn't involved in the assassination attempt. His saving her for one. And she was giving him protective glances at the obvious insanity of her sister. (An aside, how do they film a scene like that. No way anyone is gonna allow a ten year old boy to breastfeed for the sake of a TV show, that's gotta be violating all sorts of child labor laws. I imagine he's not even allowed to see a naked breast. So how the hell do they shoot it?)

The dialogue between Cersai and Robert at the end was fascinating. It makes Cersai a far more likable character. She just seems worn out, and not necessarily just cold.

The Ned Jamie fight at the end was awesome. The show is excessively violent, which is a good thing. I've never seen a horse beheaded before, for example.

Littlefinger is an underhanded prick. I'm not totally clear on his motive. He cares enough to point Ned in the right direction, but he won't just come out and tell him that he knows the spider is plotting for the return of the targaryens.
I think it was a prosthetic breast. its a shame I cant address your other points though, would make up for a great discussion.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #161
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,284
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I'm thinking they used a prosthetic breast.

The great thing about game of thrones are the characters. Everything is not black and white.characters you hate today will be shown their point of view and hou may change your opinion of them.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #162
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,554
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
I'm thinking they used a prosthetic breast.

The great thing about game of thrones are the characters. Everything is not black and white.characters you hate today will be shown their point of view and hou may change your opinion of them.


Yeah, it's that Morally Gray tone that we talked about before. It depends on there interactions. Even Ned seems irrational about the Slave Trader guy who's serving the Targaryans.

Seeing that softer side of Cersai last night was a nice touch, because she could have easily, and was on her way, to coming off as a cartoonish, almost Cruella Deville charicature.
I'm sure we all know a guy or two like Robert. Incredibly passionate and affectionate, but that passion can go both ways, where you can go from best friend for life, to mortal enemy over the course of night. It's hard to wrap your head around him because the things you love about him are the same things you hate. That's a genuine, full character.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #163
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Godzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,603
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harion
don't worry then. you'll be watching the show till it catches up to the last book released.


too late. Hate to say it but i spoiled myself after getting the sense that everyone was going to die from you guys. i'm glad at least one of my favorite characters isn't dead yet but i'm not real happy about what happened to them in the last book...

who exactly is the main character iin this series, or is there one?
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #164
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Godzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,603
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Ned is my fav character from the get go, but after he told Jaime he ordered the capture of the Imp I got more respect for him.

How many pansies would have been like "I have no clue" but he was looking out for his wife, and he had no idea until like 2 hrs before Jaime confronted him.

Too bad his guards got killed, I really liked the one who got his eye ball stabbed, that is a true G

I love this show!!!!

And how does everyone keep thinking his daughter is a boy? She looks like a girl, except she is always dirty and such. I don't really like his wife too much, but I guess I'm looking at if from a 21st century eye.


Ned is dumb to me. His honor is what screwed him, his family, and basically war between the kingdoms. He single-handedly could've prevented all of that if he were smarter than overly honorable. its all i was thinking about watching everything unfold...
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #165
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Godzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,603
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm completely hooked to the point where I now feel obliged to read the books.

I felt like Lady Stark's taking of the Imp was completely warranted. I read the visual just as it was explained. She had to take him or when he got back to King's Landing there would be way to many questions about why she was away from home. And he had been told at Winterfell that she was there, but had fallen too ill to greet him.

I do find the narration of some of the character backgrounds during the tournament a little trite. That feels like one of those things that they're using as a mechanism to cheat to flesh out stories that are much much more elaborate in the books.

It seems to me that Lady Stark is already beginning to believe the Imp that he wasn't involved in the assassination attempt. His saving her for one. And she was giving him protective glances at the obvious insanity of her sister. (An aside, how do they film a scene like that. No way anyone is gonna allow a ten year old boy to breastfeed for the sake of a TV show, that's gotta be violating all sorts of child labor laws. I imagine he's not even allowed to see a naked breast. So how the hell do they shoot it?)

The dialogue between Cersai and Robert at the end was fascinating. It makes Cersai a far more likable character. She just seems worn out, and not necessarily just cold.

The Ned Jamie fight at the end was awesome. The show is excessively violent, which is a good thing. I've never seen a horse beheaded before, for example.

Littlefinger is an underhanded prick. I'm not totally clear on his motive. He cares enough to point Ned in the right direction, but he won't just come out and tell him that he knows the spider is plotting for the return of the targaryens.


thats EXACTLY what i was thinking watching that scene. i was like how the hell do you film that? kid definitelly has his mouth on her nipples, and he was old, like too old for that to be legal or right even for acting. she did have some nice boobs for a old hag tho.

i was also wondering what the gay scene used to make the slurping for the ******* since it sounded so real.


I disagree still on the Lady Stark taking the imp, more the way they portrayed it like she couldn't be seen. I don't really get that, like she isn't allowed to leave her keep? even with a made up excuse of maybe visiting friends where she grew up? It just seemed sort of odd to me how that all unfolded.

the only very minor criticism i had was the swordfight at the end, it just seemed so practiced of going thru the motions type of swordplay. they need someone from Braveheart to do the fighting choreography.

oh and Jaime Lannister always reminds me of Darcy's husband from Married with Children

Last edited by Godzuki : 05-16-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy