Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1681
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Hipster Game of Thrones

rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1682
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1683
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i never read teh books.

so in the show it appears they will not be showing actual battles. At least thats how it appears so far. In the books, is there graphic description of battle scenes or is it similar to how the tv show illustrates battles?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #1684
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i never read teh books.

so in the show it appears they will not be showing actual battles. At least thats how it appears so far. In the books, is there graphic description of battle scenes or is it similar to how the tv show illustrates battles?

There are battles, but even like when Robb captures Jaime you don't read it happening, you hear about it after the fact. However, there will be a big battle towards the end of this season that should be pretty epic.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #1685
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jaime vs the Drowned God

Quote:
"Books?" Jaime said. "How can books help me in a fight?"

"They can tell you more about this thing you're fighting." Tyrion dumped the dusty tomes down on the table.

"Cthulhu," said Jaime. "It sounds like the noise old men make when they're bringing up phelgm." He rummaged through the books with his good hand. They had odd titles, in languages he did not know, though he was not surprised his brother did. "Abdul Alhazared," he pronounced, leafing through a few pages. "This is written in gibberish. What tongue is this?"

"A fair question," said Tyrion, "to which I have no answer. That comes from the shadowlands beyond Asshai. But here, look at this. It is a translation of a translation of a translation, I understand." The dwarf flipped through the pages, until he found the one he wanted. "And there are illuminations. Here. This is Cthulhu."

Jaime stared. "That?"

"That."

"It's as big as Casterly Rock."

"Bigger. If Casterly Rock fell on its head it might not even notice."

"Seven bloody hells." Even if he still had two good hands, Jaime Lannister was not certain how he was supposed to fight something like that. "Those tentacles... this thing looks as though it just ate twenty giant krakens, but hasn't quite finished swallowing them yet." He sat down, and began turning pages. "Maybe if I had a dragon... "

"Maybe if you had a hundred dragons." Tyrion sat cross-legged on his stool and began rummaging through another book, called Mysteries of the Worm.
"Read. I'll do the same. You haven't much time."

"I suppose not," Jaime admitted. "What am I looking for?"

"Weaknesses."

Jaime looked at the picture of Cthulhu again. "It has eyes," he said. "A vulnerable point, perhaps. A spear through the eye will kill a dragon." How could he reach the eyes, though? The thing was taller than the Wall. "A rope and a grapnel... I could scale the damned thing, as if it were a mountain... but I'd need too good hands to pull myself up..." He did not have two good hands.

"You could have twenty good hands," said Tyrion. He did not even look up from his book. "The tentacles would catch you and pull you apart like a wishbone." He turned another page. "You had best start reading, if you ever want to **** our sweet sister again."

Jaime started reading. It was not at all his favorite pastime, but he saw his little brother's point.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #1686
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Hipster Game of Thrones

I love how i automatically read this in the Imps voice..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #1687
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Goddamn Renly's wife is hot.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #1688
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Goddamn Renly's wife is hot.

Yeah, great job with Margery Terrell.

I really liked it last night. I thought they handled the Imp's red herring plot exceptionally well. It was also split up in a nice fashion. Less bouncing around, and more of four distinct parts. Jon Snow. Renly/Cat. Imp. Arya. Nothing from Dany. It works best when they focus on different stuff episode to episode, rather than trying to move the entire story forward in a single episode, which means you get trimmed down sections on everything that wind up making less sense.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #1689
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I really liked it last night. I thought they handled the Imp's red herring plot exceptionally well. It was also split up in a nice fashion. Less bouncing around, and more of four distinct parts. Jon Snow. Renly/Cat. Imp. Arya. Nothing from Dany. It works best when they focus on different stuff episode to episode, rather than trying to move the entire story forward in a single episode, which means you get trimmed down sections on everything that wind up making less sense.

The way they depicted Margery was surprising to me. You can tell from the books that she has a certain conniving nature but it's way more subtle. Same with the Renly-Loras relationship. It's hinted at but nothing as graphic as what was shown last night. Still I like the way HBO is handling it, only more naked Margery and less gay make-out scenes please.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #1690
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The way they depicted Margery was surprising to me. You can tell from the books that she has a certain conniving nature but it's way more subtle. Same with the Renly-Loras relationship. It's hinted at but nothing as graphic as what was shown last night. Still I like the way HBO is handling it, only more naked Margery and less gay make-out scenes please.

Yeah, my opinion of them doing a great job with Marjery is more that she was hot and naked than I felt she was depicted particularly well from the book. I agree it's much more subtle in the book. In fact she almost comes off as a bit naive in the books at time, nowhere near that agressive. And the Renly Loras relationship I don't see at all in the books really. The snarky sarcastic Renly remark about "Marjery's a virgin?" was an interesting touch.

The other big alteration from the book I noticed was that I felt like the Arya raid scene was timed out differently in the book. Didn't they get away, through the trap door, and wound up hiding in the woods with the four of them, then getting caught later? It felt like they compressed a bunch stuff into one shorter sequence. I don't feel at all like it was for the worse however. Frankly Arya's road trip can get a little confusing after a while, so to trim out a thing or two here or there isn't gonna be the end of the world.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #1691
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The other big alteration from the book I noticed was that I felt like the Arya raid scene was timed out differently in the book. Didn't they get away, through the trap door, and wound up hiding in the woods with the four of them, then getting caught later? It felt like they compressed a bunch stuff into one shorter sequence. I don't feel at all like it was for the worse however. Frankly Arya's road trip can get a little confusing after a while, so to trim out a thing or two here or there isn't gonna be the end of the world.

Yeah that bit of editing seemed to tidy things up a bit and keep the story moving forward. All of the books have just a little too much journeying going on imo. Also, Brienne was just how I pictured her. Where did they find a chick that huge?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #1692
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor

Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #1693
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

I like how they handled Margaery too. They made the gay angle front and centre which was kiind of surprising considering they its really only hinted at in the books. Adding the sexpositions to the show is a brillaint idea since it clears up a lot of back stories which people who haven't read the books. I agree the story is better served when they focus on 4 sotrylines instead of jumping all over the place. Things are really going to heat up in the next few episodes...
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #1694
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Love the ending, that Arya is a smart little girl (I haven't read the books).
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #1695
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Love the ending, that Arya is a smart little girl (I haven't read the books).

Yeah she's a great character. It's interesting to see how all the Stark characters progress now that they're separating. The conversation between Bran and his Maester (I forget his name) was great. I like that he mentioned the children of the forest.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: