Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #166
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
thats EXACTLY what i was thinking watching that scene. i was like how the hell do you film that? kid definitelly has his mouth on her nipples, and he was old, like too old for that to be legal or right even for acting. she did have some nice boobs for a old hag tho.

i was also wondering what the gay scene used to make the slurping for the ******* since it sounded so real.

I disagree still on the Lady Stark taking the imp, more the way they portrayed it like she couldn't be seen. I don't really get that, like she isn't allowed to leave her keep? even with a made up excuse of maybe visiting friends where she grew up? It just seemed sort of odd to me how that all unfolded.

the only very minor criticism i had was the swordfight at the end, it just seemed so practiced of going thru the motions type of swordplay. they need someone from Braveheart to do the fighting choreography.

oh and Jaime Lannister always reminds me of Darcy's husband from Married with Children

I intended to write the exact same thing in my last post. Particularly when he younger. He was pretty much the same exact pompous douchebag a-hole in Revenge of the Nerds. Ted McGinley.

The also used the same exact audio track for the hummer that Tyrion Lannister was getting from Roz the redheaded prostitue in Winterfell at the very start of the first episode. I found it pretty graphic then.

I do look forward to learning more about the Stark's Ward there who was nailing her. I read a little about him. But he seems like he'll become someone of prominence as well. That prostitute I read is one of the few wholey made up characters for the sake of the show. So he may have a larger role in the show than in the books even.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #167
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I intended to write the exact same thing in my last post. Particularly when he younger. He was pretty much the same exact pompous douchebag a-hole in Revenge of the Nerds. Ted McGinley.

The also used the same exact audio track for the hummer that Tyrion Lannister was getting from Roz the redheaded prostitue in Winterfell at the very start of the first episode. I found it pretty graphic then.

I do look forward to learning more about the Stark's Ward there who was nailing her. I read a little about him. But he seems like he'll become someone of prominence as well. That prostitute I read is one of the few wholey made up characters for the sake of the show. So he may have a larger role in the show than in the books even.
You don't see much of theon in book 1 but he is a fairly major character in book 2. Keep in mind that "ward" is often just a nicer way to say "hostage" in GOT
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #168
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Just finished watching, great episode

I was a little shocked to see Ned's head guard get takin out.. pretty gnarly sword fight at the end there, got me sucked in to see who was gonna win and how. I knew Jaime was supposed to be good with the blade, but it was cool to see how he and Ned held there own against eachother.

Lady Starks sister is complete looney toons, I am interested to see how Lady Stark is able to get herself and the Imp out of there.

Can someone give me a quick breakdown on the veil? Is it part of the 7 kingdoms or is it outside the rule..

Now that we've seen how big the dragons are, when do we see our first live dragon?
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #169
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Now that we've seen how big the dragons are, when do we see our first live dragon?

omg that skull was HUGE!!! That girl was smaller than its teeth...
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #170
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Yes the vale used to be one of the 7 kingdoms. It didn't really show it here but the main castle is nearly impossible to assault so the crazy sister feels safe there.

You won't see live dragons until season 2 or end of season 1, I forgot which
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #171
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

@ The Imp facial expressions when he looked at the kid sucking the breast. And his response when the queen said "He killed your father and the hand of the king!".

Imp "Whoa, did I kill him too? I've been a very busy man"
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #172
Harion
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
who exactly is the main character iin this series, or is there one?
the series title is A Song of Ice and Fire. that should clue you in.

*whispers* it's Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaeryen.
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #173
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harion

well tbh thats a relief. I sort of wish it were about Arya, but i can live with it being about my niga JS
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #174
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Just finished watching, great episode

I was a little shocked to see Ned's head guard get takin out.. pretty gnarly sword fight at the end there, got me sucked in to see who was gonna win and how. I knew Jaime was supposed to be good with the blade, but it was cool to see how he and Ned held there own against eachother.

Lady Starks sister is complete looney toons, I am interested to see how Lady Stark is able to get herself and the Imp out of there.

Can someone give me a quick breakdown on the veil? Is it part of the 7 kingdoms or is it outside the rule..

much better then how ned originally got taken out. in the book they were all on horseback when the fight broke out and ned's horse fell on him and broke his leg. i thought that was lame. ned and jaimie going man to man and having the guard take a cheap shot to end it was much better.

also, like him or not, but Jaimie has the most swag in the 7 kingdoms (even though he is a sister****er)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #175
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:

also, it takes fire (dragons) to kill ice (the others)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #176
Zaknaf3in
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm completely hooked to the point where I now feel obliged to read the books.

I felt like Lady Stark's taking of the Imp was completely warranted. I read the visual just as it was explained. She had to take him or when he got back to King's Landing there would be way to many questions about why she was away from home. And he had been told at Winterfell that she was there, but had fallen too ill to greet him.

I do find the narration of some of the character backgrounds during the tournament a little trite. That feels like one of those things that they're using as a mechanism to cheat to flesh out stories that are much much more elaborate in the books.

It seems to me that Lady Stark is already beginning to believe the Imp that he wasn't involved in the assassination attempt. His saving her for one. And she was giving him protective glances at the obvious insanity of her sister. (An aside, how do they film a scene like that. No way anyone is gonna allow a ten year old boy to breastfeed for the sake of a TV show, that's gotta be violating all sorts of child labor laws. I imagine he's not even allowed to see a naked breast. So how the hell do they shoot it?)

The dialogue between Cersai and Robert at the end was fascinating. It makes Cersai a far more likable character. She just seems worn out, and not necessarily just cold.

The Ned Jamie fight at the end was awesome. The show is excessively violent, which is a good thing. I've never seen a horse beheaded before, for example.

Littlefinger is an underhanded prick. I'm not totally clear on his motive. He cares enough to point Ned in the right direction, but he won't just come out and tell him that he knows the spider is plotting for the return of the targaryens.

I know it's going to be next to impossible, but:
Do yourself a favor and get the books and read them without watching any further episodes. It might not be too late to get into this universe without being spoilt by a tv show - your fantasy might still do the job.

When you're through, enjoy the series at a 3-at-a-time pace and enjoy the tears for a dream come true.

I read the first book 12 years ago... imagine.
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #177
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:

ooooooooooooooh.... I would have never made that connection..
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #178
rezznor
Nosetradamus

episode review

Quote:
Who’s a bigger fool on Game of Thrones: the King, or his Hand?
Charlie Jane Anders — It's easy to think of King Robert as a fool, and Ned Stark as the wise counselor who tries to save the King from his own folly. But like most things in Game of Thrones, it's not quite that simple.

Last night's episode showed us a few hints that King Robert might actually be shrewder than we ever knew — and his Hand, Ned Stark, might be more foolish. And even if you're the wisest man in the world, governing seven squabbling kingdoms might drive you to foolishness after a while. Spoilers ahead...
The Ned-and-Robert show kicks off with a classic example of Robert being a dumbass and Ned having to rein him in. Robert wants to take part in the jousting in the Hand's Tournament, and the Hand has to convince him this is a terrible idea. Not just because the King is too fat (and even the mythical breastplate-stretcher won't help) but also because nobody will dare risk harming the King, and they'll basically let him win. Ned's the only guy who can talk the King out of his latest crazy idea.

But if you pay attention, even in this scene there are lots of hints that the King is just ****ing with people. He loves to yank people's chains, because it's the only thing he can do nowadays. Like screwing other women and making the Queen's brother stand guard outside his chambers and listen. Maybe the King really does want to joust, or maybe he's just doing this to give Ned and his Lannister squire a heart attack. Like the breastplate-stretcher jibe, everything the King does is partly about making people jump. He's all powerful, but also weirdly powerless because he can't do anything to step outside of his role.

And later in the episode, the King shows signs that he does know quite well what his role is — he's the only one keeping this whole ridiculous assortment of kingdoms together, through sheer force of personality, or just because he's a figurehead that everyone can agree on. His way-too-fat royal body is the center of the precariously balanced peace. Talking to his wife, Cersei, King Robert shows a much deeper awareness of realpolitik than anybody gave him credit for.

And Robert is probably right: the Targaryens do need to die. (We don't even see them in this episode, but they're out there, Daenerys preparing to celebrate her pregnancy with a healthy boy, and Viserys agitating for his long-promised barbarian army.) It's a nasty business, but neither of the white-haired Targaryen kids would consider himself or herself too young to chop Robert's head off, if they had half the chance. The central question about the Dothraki horse-riders has always been whether they could even cross the Narrow Sea, and whether they'd stand much of a chance if they did. A week or two, we heard Ser Jorah Mormont telling Daenerys that King Robert's advisors would probably convince him not to engage the Dothraki in open battle — and now King Robert confirms that assessment, but he's already figured out what happens next: The Dothraki ransack the countryside while the King and his nobles remain behind siege walls, safe but helpless. (Here's an interesting discussion of the Dothraki's chances if they decided to lay siege instead.)

So if King Robert actually has a point about the unfortunate necessity of killing the Targaryen kids before they can cause any real trouble, then Ned is being principled but wrong — and it's true that Ned's seen enough war to know that people much younger than Daenerys get slaughtered in war every day.

Ned makes several foolish decisions this time around, actually. He resolves to leave and ride back to Winterfell with his daughters, which would have been his only smart choice since arriving in King's Landing. After all, he's just heard that his wife has foolishly tried to arrest Tyrion Lannister and dragged the Imp off to the castle of her sister, the crazy breast-feeding Lady Lysa Arryn. So he knows that if he stays in King's Landing, trouble is coming — even apart from the fact that the King wants his head on a spike. But then Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish comes and offers to show Ned the last person Jon Arryn spoke to before he died, and Ned can't resist.

Why is Ned investigating the death of Jon Arryn in the first place? Arryn, of course, was like a father to Ned and also was Catelyn's brother-in-law. But also, the eunuch/spymaster Varys comes to Ned and warns him that the same doom that faced Jon Arryn will soon face the King. Except, of course, that if someone decides to poison the King, especially someone very close to the King (like, say, his wife) it's not clear what Ned could do about it. And it's entirely possible that Ned is bringing the King's doom closer, rather than helping to prevent it, by asking unfortunate questions.

And if Ned only took the time to listen to his daughter Arya when she tells him about the secret conference she overheard, he might have figured out that Varys has his own unsavory agenda, which doesn't favor the King's well-being at all. And he might have realized that there's more than one conspiracy happening around him, and he's only going to cause more havok if he goes stomping around. (Something Littlefinger himself tried to warn Ned about, a while ago.)

And Ned's final mistake is to lie when he's confronted by Jaime Lannister — saying that he ordered Tyrion Lannister arrested for his crimes. It doesn't really ring true anyway — since why would Ned tell his wife to arrest Tyrion, instead of doing it himself when Tyrion returned to King's Landing? (Obviously, it would be harder to seize Tyrion with his family around, but if Ned really believed he had grounds, that wouldn't stop him.) By taking the credit/blame for his wife's actions, Ned is being proud but also doing something he seldom seems to worry about — he's saving face. What else could Ned do at this point? Maybe press Jaime for the truth about what happened to Bran — something Jaime knows rather a lot about. Might not do any good, but then you never know.

And in the end, Ned pays a high price for his policy of stomping around until he steps on the truth — he loses his most faithful retainer, Jory, and he also gets a spear through the leg. Ack.

Truth be told, this was my least favorite episode of Game of Thrones thus far, although I still really enjoyed it. There were just too many tacked-on scenes of exposition, where characters tell each other stuff they both already knew. These characters have such complex backstories that you kind of need a giant infodump, but it's still a bit clunky. You get Varys and Littlefinger talking to each other for like five minutes, King Robert and Queen Cersei rehashing all their old issues, and Theon Greyjoy and Ros going over the history of the Greyjoys and their rebellion against the King.

Although the Cersei/Robert scene had some nice bits and gave us some good character development. And I quite liked the chest-shaving scene between Renly and Ser Loras, the Knight of the Flowers, setting up Renly's vague and apathetic desire to be king despite being fourth in line behind his nephews and his brother.

And I almost didn't get to mention them, but all the stuff with Tyrion pointing out the flaws in Catelyn's reasoning — and her plan to involve her batshit sister — was great. And gotta love Tyrion killing a guy with a shield. Also — horse decapitation! And the Knight of Flowers was more ridiculous than I ever could have pictured him.

Mostly, last night's episode was the final moment of slow burn before everything erupts into all-out war between the Lannisters and the Starks, with everybody else grabbing for anything they can in the confusion. It's going to be crazy.

i think i mentioned this a few weeks ago, but shit's about to get real...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #179
monkeypox
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Yes...

Spoiler?
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #180
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Guys we should maintain a strict spoiler free condition in this thread.
sorry. what i meant is that this is not one of those shows where you just know your favorite character will never be in any real danger. you will get the feeling that anyone can bite it in this story, no matter how important or unimportant you think they are.

this is a very bleak and cruel world that george rr martin has introduced us to, and life is not always fair.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: