Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #2011
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

[quote=Bano114]For anyone whos interested my father who has never read the books but watches the show just told me what he thinks is going to happen. Its really interesting to see what he thinks if you read the books..

Have you read the books?

Yeah your father is pretty spot on with a lot of the things he thinks will happen. Some of them are pretty obvious, but still there are lot of twists and turns that no one will see coming.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #2012
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
thank you

Yeah they don't visit the house of the undying in this episode. I wonder how they'll do it considering that in the books she was merely invited, not forced to go.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #2013
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Wow, so many scenes that weren't in the book. I'm still on board with it because I thought last night's episode was entertaining and the story seems to be progressing as it should, but they are definitely using the 2nd book as more of a loose outline.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #2014
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

[quote=longtime lurker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
For anyone whos interested my father who has never read the books but watches the show just told me what he thinks is going to happen. Its really interesting to see what he thinks if you read the books..

Have you read the books?

Yeah your father is pretty spot on with a lot of the things he thinks will happen. Some of them are pretty obvious, but still there are lot of twists and turns that no one will see coming.

Yea Ive read all of them already
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #2015
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

No real idea what's happening in Qarth now. I had a feeling they were going to play the spice king into sort of an amalgom of the traders Dany overthrows, as evidenced by his threatening to have his servants beaten two episodes ago, but that's obviously not going to happen now. Xaro Xan Ducksauce certainly can't play into those roles unless he's wildly altered from the texts, even more so than he already is.

I'm not sure where Arya is heading either. The preview for next week shows Tywin apparently fleeing from Harenhall, but I'm confused now about how this will play out, because she still needs to become the kitchen hand and do the soup pot thing which IIRC will require another kill from The Man? I honestly just need to go back and re read her sections in that book and get that straight, because right now I'm just confused, although her relationship with Tywin at the moment is some of the best stuff in the show.

I also like how Cersei is playing. She at times seems far more sympathetic than I recall her in the book. Her opening up about her concerns about Joffrey's temperment I think are nice touches that I didn't sense in the books.

Ygritte is playing out exceptionally well I feel. And the photo work north of the well is excellent. I don't recall Jon's being the son of Lord Eddard Stark being an element in it. But whatever.

I really feel like they screwed up the reveal of the dead Stark kids. They should've never showed them take off with Osha and Hodor. They should have cut directly to an outraged Theon, shown the hunt, revealed the burned bodies, and only then revealed their hiding in the tombs. It feels like the blew what would've been a huge visceral moment. In the books I know it was the next big one for me of just disbelief. But NO-ONE I've talked to who didn't read the books believes at all that those are the Stark kids. Almost everyone has figured out that those were the villagers kids. It just feels like a lost opportunity. When they first heard the kids playing as they were walking by I had a hopefull moment where I actually thought they were bumping into the Reeds. Alas ... the Reeds apparently won't make the cut.

The development of Rob's relationship with what I can only assume is going to wind up being his wife I think is a nice addition. The Kingslayer stuff was great. I know that in the book community people hate Cat, and it's funny, but I read Grantland's reviews of the shows from people who haven't read, and they've developed the same view of Cat as just a screw up, which is something that I honestly just don't recall thinking as I read it. But I thought she was really good last night, and Brienne seems like she's going to be a great find. She's been really good so far in a role that seemed like it would be nearly impossible to fill.

Really nice ominous moment between Robb and the nurse and just a weirdly looming Roose Bolton. I felt that was a nice touch.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #2016
rezznor
Nosetradamus

they also changed the fact that the Bastard hasn't been introduced yet. Remember, it was his idea to kill the village kids.
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #2017
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Pretty sure he did

Pretty sure I'm an asshat. That was Hodor that escaped with them. I was thinking Luwin was rolling with them.. spoilerNow I really am confused what they're going to do the split up of the boys. Will they send Rickon and Bran together up north, no split up... /spoiler

Tywin and Arya has been really awesome. Last night was great, even though they stole a line from Roose and Reek and gave it to them it worked just the same. m'lord vs my lord.

Last edited by Anti Hero : 05-14-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #2018
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Pretty sure I'm an asshat. That was Hodor that escaped with them. I was thinking Luwin was rolling with them.. spoilerNow I really am confused what they're going to do the split up of the boys. Will they send Rickon and Bran together up north, no split up... /spoiler

To me this is where I feel like stuff is getting spoiled moving forward, because if they don't split up the kids, which I'm guessing they won't at this point, then to me that would indicate nothing of consequence is gonna come up with Rickon in the books down the road. I'm at least assuming they're going to Martin with these changes for approval, because if they're not, and they send Rickon along with Bran now, and then in the next book Osha turns into a Dragon and Rickon rides her over the Iron Islands out of hiding and burns everything to cinder, that's gonna be a problem for the show down the road.

It's sort of the same point I made about the lack of the Reeds. Without the Reeds, it makes me feel like their father Howland can't be the guy who breaks the news about Jon's parentage, because he's too hard to introduce in the show. Did HBO go to Martin and say "hey, we can't find any more qualified kid actors, can we replace the Reeds with Rickon since he's already cast and on the payroll and at least somewhat competant?" And if they did, would he give them his blessing if he knew Howland was going to play a larger part down the road. It's frankly a smaller issue than the Rickon one because there seem to be ways to write around it, but it does make me curious.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #2019
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm not sure where Arya is heading either. The preview for next week shows Tywin apparently fleeing from Harenhall, but I'm confused now about how this will play out, because she still needs to become the kitchen hand and do the soup pot thing which IIRC will require another kill from The Man? I honestly just need to go back and re read her sections in that book and get that straight, because right now I'm just confused, although her relationship with Tywin at the moment is some of the best stuff in the show.

The conversation between Arya and Tywin where he tells her to say "m'lord" instead of "my lord" actually occurs (in white) in book 5 between Roose Bolton and Theon (Reek).
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #2020
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The conversation between Arya and Tywin where he tells her to say "m'lord" instead of "my lord" actually occurs (in white) [color="White"]I knew I remembered that from somewhere.COLOR]

I would also like to point out that I feel like they're doing a pretty decent job filling in the historical gaps with these occasional asides, like the one Tywin and Arya had about Aegon. Those are things that are written in the books that are very hard to flow down into live action, but they're doing a relatively admirable job of it in my estimation.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #2021
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
No real idea what's happening in Qarth now. I had a feeling they were going to play the spice king into sort of an amalgom of the traders Dany overthrows, as evidenced by his threatening to have his servants beaten two episodes ago, but that's obviously not going to happen now. Xaro Xan Ducksauce certainly can't play into those roles unless he's wildly altered from the texts, even more so than he already is.

I also like how Cersei is playing. She at times seems far more sympathetic than I recall her in the book. Her opening up about her concerns about Joffrey's temperment I think are nice touches that I didn't sense in the books.

Ygritte is playing out exceptionally well I feel. And the photo work north of the well is excellent. I don't recall Jon's being the son of Lord Eddard Stark being an element in it. But whatever.

I really feel like they screwed up the reveal of the dead Stark kids. They should've never showed them take off with Osha and Hodor. They should have cut directly to an outraged Theon, shown the hunt, revealed the burned bodies, and only then revealed their hiding in the tombs. It feels like the blew what would've been a huge visceral moment. In the books I know it was the next big one for me of just disbelief. But NO-ONE I've talked to who didn't read the books believes at all that those are the Stark kids. Almost everyone has figured out that those were the villagers kids. It just feels like a lost opportunity. When they first heard the kids playing as they were walking by I had a hopefull moment where I actually thought they were bumping into the Reeds. Alas ... the Reeds apparently won't make the cut.

The development of Rob's relationship with what I can only assume is going to wind up being his wife I think is a nice addition. The Kingslayer stuff was great. I know that in the book community people hate Cat, and it's funny, but I read Grantland's reviews of the shows from people who haven't read, and they've developed the same view of Cat as just a screw up, which is something that I honestly just don't recall thinking as I read it. But I thought she was really good last night, and Brienne seems like she's going to be a great find. She's been really good so far in a role that seemed like it would be nearly impossible to fill.

Really nice ominous moment between Robb and the nurse and just a weirdly looming Roose Bolton. I felt that was a nice touch.

I agree with a lot of your feelings about the show. The kids dying could have been much more epic if they'd followed how it was written in the books, especially as an end of season cliffhanger. Maybe they might still meet the Reeds since the story kind of doesn't make sense without them.

Arya and Tywins relationship is one of the best aspects of the show although it wasn't in the books. I wonder if he knows she's arya stark. He already knows she's a northern pretender.

As far as Danys storyline she doesn't really start making power moves until the 3rd book. I think Xaro will end up giving her ships though instead of Illyrio.

Haven't seen the preview but is Tywin fleeing from Harrenhall or just leaving? It still makes sense in context because Arya uses her 3rd kill to help free the prisoners.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #2022
rezznor
Nosetradamus

one important thing the show is leaving out is how devastating the war is to ordinary people caught up in the middle, but i guess it's just too much to pack in. also, i don't like this new guy playing the Mountain as much as the last guy. the original Mountain was much more imposing.
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #2023
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
one important thing the show is leaving out is how devastating the war is to ordinary people caught up in the middle, but i guess it's just too much to pack in. also, i don't like this new guy playing the Mountain as much as the last guy. the original Mountain was much more imposing.

I agree. Between the softening of Cersei, Tywin's introspective relationship with Arya, and the omission of actually showing The Mountain destroying the Riverland's small folk (however Tywin did order it last night, and maybe it'll come), but between those three, the Lannister's seem more likable here than they do in the books. Although that could change pretty quickly.

And that's with still Jamie seeming like the most malevolent of them all.

I will say another thing that I think worked last night. Again they pared down the information. Stannis did not appear at all. I really feel like the show works best with each episode progressing 3 to 4 characters. Any more than that and it turns schizophrenic.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #2024
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

i agree with the rest of you what they should've done with the burned kid body hanging. if i didn't see Bran and the rest of them leaving then i would've suspected it could've been Bran more...but they did sort of leave the possibility that they had caught them since it was on the heels of Theon and guards finding that eaten walnut or whatever. still tho, it was pretty obvious that wasn't Bran. it helps that people here yap about Bran so i knew there was no way he could be killed off this early which helped.

Jon Snow seemed so inept when he was lost and she was messing with him. i've been waiting for him to go nuts and he seems to be getting softer and weaker, and now he's about to be captured? how could he even let her escape, and then lead her into that trap...

its still odd to me how Cerseii or even Tyrion aren't doing anything significant about Joffrey. they both know he's messed up, and how he loves cruelty, and know its a problem but they keep acting like they're powerless to do anything about it. 2 of the biggest schemers in the whole kingdom, and if anyone could do anything about Joffrey its them two. i mean wouldn't the last thing you want on the throne another mad king?

what was the deal with the Milord vs mylord? i guess Tywin was testing her with a lie? tywin is a likable character btw. between him and Tyrion i like them two more than most other characters on the show, even if they're made out to be the bad guys.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2025
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
its still odd to me how Cerseii or even Tyrion aren't doing anything significant about Joffrey. they both know he's messed up, and how he loves cruelty, and know its a problem but they keep acting like they're powerless to do anything about it. 2 of the biggest schemers in the whole kingdom, and if anyone could do anything about Joffrey its them two. i mean wouldn't the last thing you want on the throne another mad king?

Tyrion might have plans for Joffrey, but the last thing he'd ever do is share them with Cersei.

The "m'lord/my lord" was Tywin hinting to Arya that he knows she's high born.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: