Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2326
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
First, after reading Kblaze post. I figured the father sent the imp because he didnt think Joffrey was ready to be a King. He was too young and the mistakes made would be costly. So dispite his feelings towards his son the Imp, he knew he could atleast keep things stable there until he returns from the war. The mistakes Joffrey was making were miscalculated and wreckless. Like decapitating Ned Stark and Jamie Lannister being held captive.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I think Bano did a good job explaining the reasoning why the Immp was sent. But to answer Blaze asking did they really need the Imp to be sent given the mom was playing puppet master with her son. I think so, given the mistakes Joffrey was making. Seemed to piss off the father greatly as it put the family in a bind.

Now my questions...

1. The white walkers, zombies...I'm confused are they not together with Mance Ryder? Whoever former Nights Watch turned rebel is? Or is this two different groups in the North? Do they fight? Are they on the same side? Or will they go their seperates ways as they head to the Wall?

2. Theon, the scene where the annoying horn was sounded as he was told a siege was going to happen. How they were outnumbered. Then next morning after he decides not to run (fear of being called a coward by dad) he tries to rally the 20 soliders only to be clonked on the head and dragged out. I'm lost, who burned down the town? Did they do it? And where was the so called people outside the castle waiting to take it over? I'm lost on that entire scene. I think Robb Stark sent men to take back Winterfell and get Theon. I thought that was what was going down in the scene where Theon was all dejected as the old timer tried to give him advice.

3. So with Tywin being the kings hand...does anyone know if he will overrule Joffrey? How does that conflict work exactly. Or is that spoiler info for Season 3? Because Joffrey makes childish decisions (he's not mature to be a king) and the father I dont think would stand by it. The Imp imposed his say for the most part...so I'm guessing the father has to right? Or will he allow the kid to be a King? Afterall his decisions could affect Jamie Lannisters fate.

I have other questions that just slipped my mind. BBL when they pop up.

4. Oh got one...the bald monk dude (chick grabbed his crotch did he not have a d!ck?). What does he have in store for the whore who is scared of Littlefinger? He's a sneaky mofo.

I did this pretty spoiler free, but I put it in white anyway.

1: They are very much different groups. In fact, it's the Weights, White Walkers, and the force that controls them that has sort of driven the Wildlings, led by Mance, to sort of unite and try to head south. They know that in spite of not liking the cultured rules south of the wall, that they are in fact on the wrong side of it at the moment.

2: This is a good question because it doesn't really happen the way it's portrayed in the show as it does in the books. But what it more than likely is is that the guys blowing the horns outside the walls were being led by Roose Bolton's bastard, who Roose has mentioned to Rob before in trying to get him to let the bastard go take Winterfell for him. I believe the conk on the head is due to Robb's instruction that any Ironborn who willingly leaves Winterfell will be allowed to return home with their head except Theon, whom Robb insisted be taken alive. Somehow I guess that word got through to the Ironborn, so they turned Theon over captive to The Bastard. The Bastard is quite unpredictable, so he torched Winterfell. (That's just the best way I can cram what happens into the books into what's happened on the show so that they both get from point a to point b.)

3: Tywin will not overrule Joffrey, and Joffrey will continue to be a petulant little bastard who drives his mother nuts by defying her, and his grandfather, who's less apt to take crap than even Tyrion, but Joffrey is simply put just a little ****er, and will continue to be.

4: Again, Roz was completely fabricated from the books, and she's played a couple of different roles from the books that they could shoehorn her into, but there's nothing in the books directly that would let you know for sure. Although it's pretty clear that she's going to be operating to get info for Varys. Varys and Littlefinger are sort of rival backchannell guys.

5: Jaquen Hagar is Arya's hitman, and even reading the books, the viewer knows about as much as we do. He's a member of a group of assassin's from the other side of the Narrow Sea, sort of where Dany is, who specialize in silent assassination, and can change themselves to whatever they need to in order to get the job done (that's how he changed his face). They worship the Red God like Stannis' girl Melisandre.
He's sort of a fan favorite, kind of the Boba Fet of the series. He has one more sequence that I can think of in the the books, and it's in a prologue to I believe book IV. So there's really mostly anticipation for him at this point. He is pretty badass though.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #2327
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I did this pretty spoiler free, but I put it in white anyway.
This pretty much sums it up, but the part about j'quen, faceless men worship the many faced god also known as death. J'quen only told Arya that the red god was robbed 3 deaths and was owed three deaths was because, him and 2 others were about to be burned alive.

In the Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Faceless Men are based at the House of Black and White, a temple in Braavos dedicated to the "Many-Faced God" that everyone will face (a reference to death). While they are indeed a guild of assassins, they have philosophical and religious motivations that will lead them to rejecting commissions that clash with those motivations.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #2328
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thorpe one last question in white text

Why did the old guy who took the spear to the guy tell the Starks boys to flee??! Why didn't the boys go with the bastard who was sent by Robb stark. I dot get why the stark boys the wcrazy chick and big oaf didn't just go with the bastard to return to Robb stark. I'm lost. Eapecially since the iron men gave up.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #2329
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Why does it hurt when I pee?

Maester Luwin knows that the Freys and Boltons are no true friends of the Starks. Also Roose Bolton's bastard, Ramsay Snow is one twisted evil fvck.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #2330
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Why did the old guy who took the spear to the guy tell the Starks boys to flee??! Why didn't the boys go with the bastard who was sent by Robb stark. I dot get why the stark boys the wcrazy chick and big oaf didn't just go with the bastard to return to Robb stark. I'm lost. Eapecially since the iron men gave up.

That's also something that's much clearer in the book than it is in the show.

It is the Bastard that puts the torch to Winterfell, and frankly he has a much larger role prior to this moment in the books that make him far less trustworthy. It was the Bastard and his men that killed everyone in Winterfell, and Theon's Ironborn, and when the kids come out from the tombs and the Maester is hanging onto life, he already knows how dangerous the bastard is. That wasn't really made clear in the show perhaps to have a reveal of The Bastard as a psychopath, but they seem to give the notion that the Maester in the show simply thinks Jon is the best place for them. He's family, and he's the opposite direction from the Riverlands, which is where Robb and Cate are, which they almost certainly couldn't make it too.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #2331
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Also Roose Bolton's bastard, Ramsay Snow is one twisted evil fvck.
Don't let him hear you call him that.

Getting pretty spoilerish.. tread lightly with the Q&A's.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #2332
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Don't let him hear you call him that.

Getting pretty spoilerish.. tread lightly with the Q&A's.

My name is Rufus, rhymes with toofus.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #2333
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yeah, those final winterfell scenes had some problems. i loved theon's ending, the half-smirks on his soldiers as he's delivering his speech were subtle and left it fuzzy whether or not they were truly with him to the end... clearly they weren't. it worked just as well as the book plot. the final tailspin of theon's character arc was very well done, meditating on taking the black, advice from luwin, etc. finally garnered him some much deserved sympathy in his speech on everybody expecting him to feel grateful towards his captors.

but i felt the same as gobb, the torching of winterfell was left totally unexplained. it would have been tricky to execute anyway, sir rodrik played a big part in that section of the book and he had already had his head chopped off. as well as the fact that the politics and rivalries of the north were never thoroughly explained in the show.

shame you guys talked so openly about tywin and tyrion's relationship, seems like a spoiler to me. it's obvious once you've already read past but part of the hope in following the story, imo anyway, is that at some point daddy lannister finally recognizes and respects tyrion's worth... even in spite of the troubled history. ah well

that "because you are my son" bit that tywin delivered last season when he sent tyrion off as acting hand... reading into his character a bit more, it's easy to assume that line was intended only to instill his imp son with the confidence assertively rule and hold the realm together. essentially, unsurprisingly for a character like tywin lannister, no emotions and all tactics

btw, the guy who plays tywin lannister delivered the line at the end of the last episode soooo perfectly. "the war is over. WE'VE WON". i rewatched that at least three times lol

roz is a great character, i love how they're using her for different plots whenever they happen to revolve around whores lol.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #2334
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

My favorite line of dialogue from the whole season comes from episode 7 when Catelyn goes to Jamie's prison cell and asked him how he can call him self a Knight when hes broken every vow hes taken.

Jaime's Response: "So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the King, Obey the King...Obey your father. Protect the Innocent, defend the weak. What if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? Its too much. No matter what you do you're forsaking one vow or another."

The man has a point...
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #2335
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Now I don't get why they sent that psycho bastard to save Winterfell...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #2336
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
My favorite line of dialogue from the whole season comes from episode 7 when Catelyn goes to Jamie's prison cell and asked him how he can call him self a Knight when hes broken every vow hes taken.

Jaime's Response: "So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the King, Obey the King...Obey your father. Protect the Innocent, defend the weak. What if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? Its too much. No matter what you do you're forsaking one vow or another."

The man has a point...

Yeah, Jamie's awesome. Isn't that line almost verbatum from the text? I think it I recall reading it and liking it then.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #2337
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Now I don't get why they sent that psycho bastard to save Winterfell...

Roose Bolton, the bastards father, convinced Robb to send his bastard because if they turned around with their whole army to re take winterfell from only 20 solidiers it would hinder their war plans.

Rooses bastard was a convient alternative for Robb because he was already in the North and could get enough men to take it back....

The thing is Robb does not know Rooses bastard. He's never met him because he's high born and Rooses bastard is....a bastard. You saw how Jon had to sit outside of feasts when the Royal Family came. I'm sure it was the same for Rooses bastard when they came to Winterfell. Robb had no clue he was a Psycho.

The bastard burned Winterfell...because he's a psycho, but could get away with it because it looks like that damage was done by the Greyjoys...not him.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #2338
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, Jamie's awesome. Isn't that line almost verbatum from the text? I think it I recall reading it and liking it then.

I'm not sure...i'd have to look. I read alot of pages in a short amount of time so its hard to recall word for word. It was just a moment that probably stuck out the most for me this season. Not sure why...probably because I like Jaime so much.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #2339
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Roose Bolton, the bastards father, convinced Robb to send his bastard because if they turned around with their whole army to re take winterfell from only 20 solidiers it would hinder their war plans.

Rooses bastard was a convient alternative for Robb because he was already in the North and could get enough men to take it back....

The thing is Robb does not know Rooses bastard. He's never met him because he's high born and Rooses bastard is....a bastard. You saw how Jon had to sit outside of feasts when the Royal Family came. I'm sure it was the same for Rooses bastard when they came to Winterfell. Robb had no clue he was a Psycho.

The bastard burned Winterfell...because he's a psycho, but could get away with it because it looks like that damage was done by the Greyjoys...not him.

I'm aware of that, but didn't bastards father (Roose) know that his son is a psycho or he just doesn't like the Starks and sent him knowing of possible catastrophe?
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #2340
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Some of your Q's are begging for spoilers. Take it to pm's if you really want to know. There are plenty of us who have read and know what you're asking for. Putting it in this thread will spoil lots for those who don't want to know.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: