Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #2446
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
God tier
Barristan Selmy
Arthur Dayne
Jaime Lannister

Excellent tier
Gerold Hightower
Sandor Clegane
Gregor Clegane
Oberyn Martell
Robert Baratheon
Khal Drogo

Really Good tier
Rhaegar Targaryen
Syrio Forel
Bronn

Decent tier
Loras Tyrell
Brienne
Ned Stark
Jorah

I would put Rhaegar in the Excellent tier.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #2447
Patrick Chewing
Banned

I would throw Qhorin Halfhand in there somewhere and eventually Jon Snow
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #2448
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

I dont think Jon Snow is a good swordsman compared to other.The only thing that helps him is his Valaryian sword.

Without it he gets whooped by most.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #2449
CP3MVP
soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
I'd put Drogo in the excellent tier. The guy has never lost a battle. Even Ned said if Robert were to meet the Dothraki on the open field he'd lose.

Yeah, I was considering that. Although his lack of armor puts him at a disadvantage, Drogo was the best fighter in a culture that prizes fighting above everything else. Among the Dothraki, where everyone is always in combat and only good fighters even survive, being undefeated is impressive.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #2450
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3MVP
Yeah, I was considering that. Although his lack of armor puts him at a disadvantage, Drogo was the best fighter in a culture that prizes fighting above everything else. Among the Dothraki, where everyone is always in combat and only good fighters even survive, being undefeated is impressive.
Wearing no armor and all, could he be the best pound for pound or something like that?
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #2451
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Wearing no armor and all, could he be the best pound for pound or something like that?
Khal Drogo would dismember the Mountain in a leather armor fight.
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #2452
Raymone
The Chosen King

LeBron James vs Khal Drogo, fist to fist.

Who wins? I think we know who.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #2453
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

********Mild spoilers thugh I will try not to be too specific....*********

The whole who is best argument comes down to one thing to me....

Do you care that everyone with armor has to be less skilled?

Time and time again some knight gets his ass handed to him but armor saves him. At least 2 members of the kingsguard(selmy vs a pit fighter and dude Syrio abused) would have been killed wthout armor and counting the show...Ser Jorah would have been killed by Drogos sidekck....

The only unarmored guy I remember winning a fight was Bronn vs dude in the Vale and he rope a doped him into getting tired by running. And you can count the Viper vs Gregor I guess but...you know.

Drogo and Syrio are from sword fight obsessed cultures where they were clearly #1. First sword of Bravos...and the undefeated for life King.

Syrio is from a place where...just being outside at night means you are down to swordfight to the death just to show how badass you are.

Drogo lives where they have multiple deadly swordfights at weddings.

All they do is fight.

Selmy is a beast and all....but armor is largely why. When the pit fighter told him he was a coward he didnt argue...he just said this coward is gonna kill you.

If just being covered in armor makes you better because you win Victorion Greyjoy might be top 5. He wears armor so thick he doesnt have to dodge. He just walks through blows protecting his eye slit, knees, and elbows and slowly beats people with an axe.

If we look at it that way...winning is winning even if you arent better?

I guess the Mountain is #1 because he wears armor nobody else can move in and all that ever touched him...only scratched him.

To me...Syrio and Drogo are #1 and #2 with Bronn somewhere close behind.

Once you put the other side at the disadvantage of not having armor(I guess fairness isnt part of knightly honor) anyone could beat anyone.

Give Ser Jorah a helmet to go with the rest of his armor he probably beats Drogo like he did his #2.

The knights arent taught to fight so they dont get hit. They are taught to fight people in armor. Drogo/Syrio/Bronn fight...and have to be the best.
Throw out needing to be the best...does it matter who wins?

Whoever finds the best way around being worse I guess.

********Mild spoilers above*********
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #2454
dunksby
NBA Superstar

^^Victarion is a fierce warrior, Westerosi don't know much about him since he is an islander that's why he is not mentioned or praised by many.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #2455
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Kblaze I think you're seriously over thinking this. Of course there will be a bias for the knights of Westeros considering where the story takes place, but these guys are legends for a reason. A guy like Syrio as skilled as he is would have no chance against the Mountain who's less skilled but has share size and strength advantage. On the other hand a guy like Drogo could beat the Mountain if both of them weren't wearing armour because he's even in size and strength but more skilled. But you have to take armour into consideration and the fact Drogo would pretty much be naked. As far as Bron from what we've seen he's up there, but he's a sell sword you'd think there are at least a 100 Brons in the Golden Company alone. Even he had a healthy fear of the Mountain.
Hopefully Garland Tyrell makes an appearance in the future books because he's probably on the level of a lot of these guys.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #2456
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Drogo was nothing close to the size or strength of Gregor. Gregor is supposed to be 8 feet tall 420 pounds. The biggest man anyone has ever seen. If Drogo beat him it would be the same reason Syrio would. Them all being unarmored and him being a lot faster.

Syrio without armor knocked out or killed 4 people with it...with a wooden sword...then out fought a member of the kinguards who was too well armored to hurt.

Gregor isnt touching him. Gregor couldnt touch the Red Viper. He was just too slow. Jaime mentioned once how The Hound was huge but savage with his speed too.

Gregor was just big. Without armor? I doubt hes special. Not vs this level of fighter.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #2457
Bosnian Sajo
Luke Walton for COTY

I always thought Jamie Lannister was just a bitch who stabbed a king in the back..is he really considered that good of a knight?
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #2458
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
I always thought Jamie Lannister was just a bitch who stabbed a king in the back..is he really considered that good of a knight?
They say he is the finest swordsman/man in all of Westeros.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #2459
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but compared to others mentioned he is completely unproven. Chosen for the Kingsguard for false reasons, not involved in any of the major conflicts or battles. I don't recall him ever crossing swords with any fighter of reputation other than half a fight with Ned.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #2460
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Quote:

They do a poor job of showing it in the show, but he's easily the best in his prime.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: