Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #2596
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

GOT Princess Bride Season 3 Promo
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #2597
ZeN
§

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Red Wedding is gonna be epic...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #2598
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Red Wedding is gonna be epic...

David Benioff and DB Weiss (show creators) cited the Red Wedding as the one scene that made them want to bring this show to TV.

Said something like "If we can pull this scene off just the right way, we'll have something special on our hands" and then they met GRRM, and pitched it to HBO.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #2599
ZeN
§

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
David Benioff and DB Weiss (show creators) cited the Red Wedding as the one scene that made them want to bring this show to TV.

Said something like "If we can pull this scene off just the right way, we'll have something special on our hands" and then they met GRRM, and pitched it to HBO.
Not too long ago I rewatched the two seasons again, because my wife hadnt watched it. Experiencing Robbs story in a continual fluidity and the new woman he meets really impresses how good the Red Wedding can be on screen as in the book. In fact I feel it can be even better because we never really get an emotional feel for Robbs story in the novel as we do in the show. Im really glad that they didnt rush it and have kept it for the 3rd season. Its like they said, if they end up getting this next season right, the show will officially be as special in its own right as the novels.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #2600
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series Being Considered By HBO

George R. R. Martin is a busy guy. In addition to his role as a producer on HBO’s Game of Thrones, Martin still has to wrap up the novel series – A Song of Ice and Fire – for which the show is based, pump out more prequel novellas, and he’s also got a development deal at HBO.

In a recent interview on the red carpet of Game of Thrones‘ season 3 premiere, Martin discussed that development deal, what kind of general projects he has in mind, and whether he’s discussed adapting his prequel series into a companion show for Game of Thrones.

Here’s what Martin had to say IGN, about what kind of series he’s interested in pitching to HBO:

“I have some ideas for some pretty cool new series. You know, I can’t spill them here on television… But, they’ll be dramas. I’m not a comedy guy, so it’ll be one hour drama shows. I have an idea for a science fiction show.” Martin also mentioned that he had a couple of shows based in history in the chamber, adding: “I know HBO does great historical dramas from various different periods. So we’ll see which ones they like and want to develop.”

Martin acknowledged, though, that creating a show takes more than just a great idea, noting that he would need to find partners like David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, because he couldn’t write on any new projects – what with more than “3,000 pages” owed for the Ice and Fire books and his need to keep that as his “first priority”.

On the idea of a Game of Thrones prequel:

Well I have been writing for a number of years, a series of novellas set in the same world, in the world of Westeros about 100 years earlier, about two characters called Dunk and Egg… I’ve published three of those novellas – The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight – and I have in mind about nine or ten more novellas about the adventures of Dunk and Egg. So, we have been playing with the idea of doing those, you know, as prequels. They would be prequels in a sense they’re 100 years earlier, but in the same world. They’re somewhat lighter in tone than the main series, a little more adventurous but my fans love them and I love the two characters too, and it all ties into Westeros. So maybe, maybe that will be what we do, we’ll see.”

When pressed by the reporter about whether the prequel idea was “something that you guys have been talking about in terms of a series?” Martin responded: “Yeah… yeah.”

While the idea of fleshing out the history of Westeros and widening the world of Game of Thrones may sound appealing to fans of both the series and the books, some may wonder if there is a danger in imbibing too much mead – which is to say, too much of a good thing might be too much of a good thing.

The story of Game of Thrones is already so vast and intricate – requiring so much of its audience’s patience and dedication as the stories slowly make their way toward resolution. Will that audience embrace more of the same from a new show that is only loosely connected to the overall story? Perhaps, but the allure of seeing Martin’s flair for the epic play out in a sci-fi series has me far more excited, personally speaking.

http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-prequel-series-hbo/
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #2601
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
There are no losers in the Cersei vs. Danerys question there, but they both look better with dark hair.

Disagree, I think Cersei looks hotter as a blonde.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #2602
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

If they do a prequel, I'd like to see them do it as a movie rather than a series. Do like a LOTR 3x3 hours, or 4 movies or whatever.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #2603
Pacers4ever
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i like this map to get a grasp of what the series are really about. the politicking and backstabbing are a subplot, the real story is a war for the world. and all the scheming is made even more powerful because it wills the audience to turn a blind eye to the real conflict which is about to unleash hell on an unprepared world. the easy parallel is climate change imo

we haven't heard much about asshai yet, so far its just a mystical place where travelling mystics hail from but i expect much more background to be shed over the next two (three?) books

i think what martin did with books four and five was ballsy but in the end quite wise. he was probably tempted to skip all the boring wandering around wartorn westeros, as well as dany's dilemmas as she learns to be a queen, along with a few other subplots. get the dragons across the water to see some action! but the drawing out of the characters' fates builds anticipation and depth even more so than he already had. i'm perfectly willing to wait myself and it seems silly to criticize martin on those grounds. like the point that q/a thing that i think rezz or rufus posted a while back, the man's painting a masterpiece.. there's no rush.
I've only seen the TV series so far and haven't read the books and I'm also not familiar with the names of each area but have we seen sothoryos/The Shadow on the TV series yet? if not what's supposed to be there without spoiling too much. Also I'm assuming those animals on the map are exaggerated right
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #2604
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Daenerys is single guys!

Seth McFarlane splits with Emilia Clarke
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #2605
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series Being Considered By HBO

George R. R. Martin is a busy guy. In addition to his role as a producer on HBO’s Game of Thrones, Martin still has to wrap up the novel series – A Song of Ice and Fire – for which the show is based, pump out more prequel novellas, and he’s also got a development deal at HBO.

In a recent interview on the red carpet of Game of Thrones‘ season 3 premiere, Martin discussed that development deal, what kind of general projects he has in mind, and whether he’s discussed adapting his prequel series into a companion show for Game of Thrones.

Here’s what Martin had to say IGN, about what kind of series he’s interested in pitching to HBO:

“I have some ideas for some pretty cool new series. You know, I can’t spill them here on television… But, they’ll be dramas. I’m not a comedy guy, so it’ll be one hour drama shows. I have an idea for a science fiction show.” Martin also mentioned that he had a couple of shows based in history in the chamber, adding: “I know HBO does great historical dramas from various different periods. So we’ll see which ones they like and want to develop.”

Martin acknowledged, though, that creating a show takes more than just a great idea, noting that he would need to find partners like David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, because he couldn’t write on any new projects – what with more than “3,000 pages” owed for the Ice and Fire books and his need to keep that as his “first priority”.

On the idea of a Game of Thrones prequel:

Well I have been writing for a number of years, a series of novellas set in the same world, in the world of Westeros about 100 years earlier, about two characters called Dunk and Egg… I’ve published three of those novellas – The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight – and I have in mind about nine or ten more novellas about the adventures of Dunk and Egg. So, we have been playing with the idea of doing those, you know, as prequels. They would be prequels in a sense they’re 100 years earlier, but in the same world. They’re somewhat lighter in tone than the main series, a little more adventurous but my fans love them and I love the two characters too, and it all ties into Westeros. So maybe, maybe that will be what we do, we’ll see.”

When pressed by the reporter about whether the prequel idea was “something that you guys have been talking about in terms of a series?” Martin responded: “Yeah… yeah.”

While the idea of fleshing out the history of Westeros and widening the world of Game of Thrones may sound appealing to fans of both the series and the books, some may wonder if there is a danger in imbibing too much mead – which is to say, too much of a good thing might be too much of a good thing.

The story of Game of Thrones is already so vast and intricate – requiring so much of its audience’s patience and dedication as the stories slowly make their way toward resolution. Will that audience embrace more of the same from a new show that is only loosely connected to the overall story? Perhaps, but the allure of seeing Martin’s flair for the epic play out in a sci-fi series has me far more excited, personally speaking.

http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-prequel-series-hbo/

Who gives a damn about prequels. This guy needs to finish the books before he dies! He better not screw the fans on this
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #2606
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Yes! Wait she was with Seth McFarlane? That means I have a chance
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #2607
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

That's such a weird relationship.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #2608
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Who gives a damn about prequels. This guy needs to finish the books before he dies! He better not screw the fans on this
the dunk and egg prequels are like the hobbit was to lotr. much shorter and lighter tone.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #2609
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the dunk and egg prequels are like the hobbit was to lotr. much shorter and lighter tone.

Where the hell do you find those books. I've looked all over.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #2610
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Where the hell do you find those books. I've looked all over.

me too. I found the 1st one at my local library. It was more of like a comic book style. Really cool though. Shit outta luck on the second one. Found the third one in PDF file online.

http://garglfluz.wikispaces.com/file...ery+Knight.pdf
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: