Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #2686
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

disappointed in Mance. he was nothing like how i pictured him. i expected him to be more roguish and charming. other then that, every character's casting has been spot on
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2687
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
In one of the episodes of season 2 Jamie said to the bigass woman that is transporting him that in the whole land there are only 1 or 2 people who could match or beat him in a swordfight, who was he talking about?

Can anyone who has read the books shed some light on this?

All the other suggestions are based on speculation, but Barristan Selmy (the old knight that Joffrey dismissed, and who just found Dany) is definitely one of them. In the books, Jamie has a huge respect for him.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2688
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
disappointed in Mance. he was nothing like how i pictured him. i expected him to be more roguish and charming. other then that, every character's casting has been spot on

Yup. Mance is also a bard who is very charming. I don't see Cirian Hinds singing like Mance does in the books..
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #2689
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
So true.. hes basically a whole different character on screen, not at all like the novel. Despite the disappointment though he may but his own twist on Mance and well eventually like him.. but right now watching him I get the impression that it will take long to get use to him.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #2690
CP3MVP
soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
In one of the episodes of season 2 Jamie said to the bigass woman that is transporting him that in the whole land there are only 1 or 2 people who could match or beat him in a swordfight, who was he talking about?

Can anyone who has read the books shed some light on this?

I think Barristan and the Clegane brothers are likely candidates. The Cleganes might not be as skilled with the sword, but they are good fighters if not for size alone. I think Jaime mentions that Loras reminds him of a younger version of himself. Also, I think a young Robert Baratheon and Syrio from Braavos are two possibilities.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #2691
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3MVP
I think Barristan and the Clegane brothers are likely candidates. The Cleganes might not be as skilled with the sword, but they are good fighters if not for size alone. I think Jaime mentions that Loras reminds him of a younger version of himself. Also, I think a young Robert Baratheon and Syrio from Braavos are two possibilities.
i doubt jaimie has ever had any respect for robert.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #2692
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3MVP
Im thinking these opinions are based solely on knowledge from the show and not the novels..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #2693
CP3MVP
soon

Quote:
i doubt jaimie has ever had any respect for robert.

As a person, but he was a great fighter in his day. He killed Rhaegar Targaryen 1v1 in the trident. But I think Barristan in his prime was the best swordsman ever, even over Jaime. He's definitely one of three.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #2694
highwhey
A proud house

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Good first episode, Jon and Dany's scenes were great and I also loved the Tywin/Tyrion scene. Kudos to Charles Dance he has been doing amazing job of Tywin
yeah, tywin is a great character. i enjoy all of his scenes, him and tyrion are the most interesting lanisters.

i imagined seeing john snow turn into a wolf, im guessing thats not true? not in the most recent episode but a previous episode.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #2695
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Ehh...the one thing that gripes me is the casting. For the most part, the main characters are good but I can't stand the casting for some of the secondary characters.

It's like the casting crew didn't even read the source material at all and just casted random people based on descriptions....especially with the female characters.

Someone like Lena Headey, who has done a decent job as the queen, would've been better suited as Melisandre. The current actress for Mel doesn't exude the same Morgan le Fay type charm that Headey could've done. Or Shae's actress would've been better suited for a strong character like Arianne Martell and not some girly girl.

Likewise, Loras and Renly are pussified versions of their original characters. Stannis is too calm than stern/prudish.

Hell, a well casted character like Daenerys wasn't even the original choice. Some other plain looking and less charming actress was...which really makes me question the casting crew.

Last edited by Joshumitsu : 04-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #2696
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
the blackfish was actually his mentor(cat's uncle), he is the one that knighted him, jaime was his squire. jaime was also originally supposed to marry lysa as part of the rebellion started by daddy stark and his maester.

loras is really just a great jouster, and better than average at sticks. his older brother is the better swordsman.

i'd say he is referring to the blackfish, selmy and the third i have no good guess.. i'll go with everyone else and say the red viper, O. martell. these of course being people that are still living. no way is he referring to either clegane.

I wonder if he would have considered Ned Stark in that category when he was alive.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2697
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

HD torrent link maybe?
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #2698
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 23
HD torrent link maybe?
check your pms for link to my dropbox
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2699
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Stannis looks completely different to anyone else? It's like he's played by another actor...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #2700
rezznor
Nosetradamus

http://hbowatch.com/peter-dinklage-april-season-four/

Peter Dinklage being replaced

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Peter Dinklage Replaced for Game of Thrones Season 4
By Jacob Klein | HBO Series: Game of Thrones | Apr 1, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Leading Game of Thrones actor and Emmy winner Peter Dinklage will not return to HBO’s flagship program for a fourth season in 2014. In a press conference the morning of April 1st, 2013 show creators David Benioff, Dan Weiss alongside George R.R. Martin made the announcement to stunned members of the media.
“Today is both a sad day and an exciting one for HBO’s Game of Thrones,” Benioff began. “Sad because we’ve all gotten to know Peter on set and love him dearly as a friend. We’ll miss him sorely. Exciting because we’re heading in an entirely new direction with the character of Tyrion Lannister for season 4.”

Members of the press began to stir and murmur in anticipation of what the show creators, who had seemed so stable and reliable up until this moment, had to say next. Producer Dan Weiss continued the explanation adding, “It was a unanimous decision between David, myself, Peter and George. We want to take Tyrion in a more comedic, farcical direction and everyone including Peter agreed that he just wasn’t the man for the job. I’ll let the other guys speak for themselves but for me the choice was as clear as a crystal crown. Warwick Davis will be our new Tyrion Lannister!”
Just then Warwick Davis, a British comedian best known for his roles in Star Wars, Harry Potter and the HBO comedy Life’s Too Short, stepped into the room to flashing cameras and even more commotion from members of the press. Warwick then took a seat next to Martin.

When asked whether he approved of this decision, George R.R Martin responded enthusiastically:
“Warwick was actually my pick back in 2009 when we first began looking at potential cast members. It finally hit me last week while taking an indefinite break from writing The Winds of Winter to catch up on some of my favorite movies. I think it was his epic role in Willow that finally convinced me. Such wit. Such… tenderness.”
Warwick has reportedly asked for 1 million dollars per episode, amounting to nearly 20 percent of the show’s 50 million dollar per season budget. “We felt that Warwick’s experience and star power was well worth the investment,” Weiss said. “We’ll be seeing a lot less of the dragons and direwovlves due to the new budgeting that will have to be done to compensate. But in the end it’s a small price to pay for this kind of acting gravitas.”
The producers also noted that, in an effort to maintain continuity, Warwick Davis’ face will be digitally transposed over Mr. Dinklage’s in all future releases of Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray.
At this point many members of the media began to shout out pertinent questions such as “How does Peter feel about all this?” and “Are you fuc@!n6 serious right now?” but the Game of Thrones show-runners were already on their way out the door, waving and patting each other on the back as they went.
Peter Dinklage himself could not be reached for comment in a recent interview the actor expressed feeling anxious about devoting so much time to a single project:
“I’ll tell you true.. Game of Thrones has been a wonderful experience all around, certainly. But I do wonder if I’m not limiting myself in some ways. I recently had to turn down a part playing Kelly’s newest love interest on The Big Bang Theory. I love that show! It killed me to have to turn it down.”
This reporter, for one, stands in shock and awe at the decision handed down this, the first day of April. Today was supposed to be a great day for Game of Thrones fans with season 3 kicking off last night and an almost assured announcement regarding a fourth season. I suppose we should all just take a deep breath and trust in the wisdom of the producers and creators that brought us this wonderful show in the first place.
We’ll update this piece when we know more about the fate of Tyrion Lannister.
Goodbye, Peter.

LOL

Last edited by rezznor : 04-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: