Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #2731
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 16,310
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Are the giants the kind of giants we usually see, just huge wild beasts basically or are they actually just really big people?
more of the side of huge beasts.

They look more humanish then i thought they would be.They're big but not stupid they have their own language or i think they speak the old tongue which i think is Valaryian?not sure more knowledgeable people would know.

Last edited by Brujesino : 04-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2732
Anti Hero
TeamBattlesNotSoBad
 
Anti Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7,978
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real JW
Do you mean in the books Jaime says that about Black Fish instead of Selmy? The quote about him being a painter with the sword?
Not the exact quote word for word but the respect for him and the fact that he was his squire not Selmy's. Selmy is a bad ass either way, book or show.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #2733
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,592
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Just caught up with the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. The sets were incredible. These guys really know what they're doing.

I agree with the people about Mance not fitting my image of him. I expected him to be smaller, and more playfull. He's sort of an imposing figure. But I have faith that the character will work. Otherwise I feel like wildlings are handled really well. Although part of my interest in them may be related to how well things are shot up there.

The Tyrion Tywin scene was awesome, as most have pointed out. But I also felt the Onion Knight scene with Stannis and Melisandre was really well done.
A lot of the episode was just re-establishing conflicts. So it bounced around more than usual. It felt like they needed to re-establish everyone, and make sure the audience knew where they stood. Sansa and Littlefinger get a little play. Dany and slaver. Tyrion and his sister and father. Robb still on the hunt. Jon Snow captured. Stannis "still fighting". So perhaps not as deep as the average episode, but a great way to open the season.

One thing that differs from the books that I felt like some TV only people might be interested in, and this is not a spoiler, and I was curious how'd they pull it off, but in the end they just chose not to. But in the books Barriston Selmy establishes a relationship with Dany by saving her as he did here in the marketplace, but he proceeds as just a wise old man for the entire book. No one really knows who he is. He has a contentious relationship with Mormont for the entire book, mostly surrounding who Dany will lean on for council, and Mormont has a vague feeling he knows who he is. It's not until much later in the book that he's revealed as Selmy, and honestly I don't even remember if he comes out freely, or Mormont figures it out. I just know that I didn't know it was him the entire book, and the reveal was a shocker for me. With the visual presence obviously on screen, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off, although from what I read some people saying, they didn't even remember him from the previous seasons anyway. So when he took off his hood and declared himself Ser Barristan Selmy, a lot of people were like "who?" I found it interesting he already stated that he was a member of Dany's father's kingsguard, and he died, and he'd like to redeem himself protecting her, because the fact that Aryes died at the hands of one of his Kingsguardsmen (Jamie), is sort of a point of contention between he and Mormont in trying to council Dany. It was as if they were trying to get that established now.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2734
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,189
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #2735
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,716
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Just caught up with the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. The sets were incredible. These guys really know what they're doing.

I agree with the people about Mance not fitting my image of him. I expected him to be smaller, and more playfull. He's sort of an imposing figure. But I have faith that the character will work. Otherwise I feel like wildlings are handled really well. Although part of my interest in them may be related to how well things are shot up there.

The Tyrion Tywin scene was awesome, as most have pointed out. But I also felt the Onion Knight scene with Stannis and Melisandre was really well done.
A lot of the episode was just re-establishing conflicts. So it bounced around more than usual. It felt like they needed to re-establish everyone, and make sure the audience knew where they stood. Sansa and Littlefinger get a little play. Dany and slaver. Tyrion and his sister and father. Robb still on the hunt. Jon Snow captured. Stannis "still fighting". So perhaps not as deep as the average episode, but a great way to open the season.

One thing that differs from the books that I felt like some TV only people might be interested in, and this is not a spoiler, and I was curious how'd they pull it off, but in the end they just chose not to. But in the books Barriston Selmy establishes a relationship with Dany by saving her as he did here in the marketplace, but he proceeds as just a wise old man for the entire book. No one really knows who he is. He has a contentious relationship with Mormont for the entire book, mostly surrounding who Dany will lean on for council, and Mormont has a vague feeling he knows who he is. It's not until much later in the book that he's revealed as Selmy, and honestly I don't even remember if he comes out freely, or Mormont figures it out. I just know that I didn't know it was him the entire book, and the reveal was a shocker for me. With the visual presence obviously on screen, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off, although from what I read some people saying, they didn't even remember him from the previous seasons anyway. So when he took off his hood and declared himself Ser Barristan Selmy, a lot of people were like "who?" I found it interesting he already stated that he was a member of Dany's father's kingsguard, and he died, and he'd like to redeem himself protecting her, because the fact that Aryes died at the hands of one of his Kingsguardsmen (Jamie), is sort of a point of contention between he and Mormont in trying to council Dany. It was as if they were trying to get that established now.

The thing about the Artisan Whitebeard reveal is that non book readers would be like "who?". For example I was watching the season premier with 7 other people non of them had read the book and only 1 remembered Ser Barristan and the others had to be explained who he is. The guy hasn't even been mentioned or seen since season 1 so even if they had played the book angle and kept his identity "hidden" the majority of viewers would still be like "who?" when he was finally revealed. Just too much confusion.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #2736
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,592
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
The thing about the Artisan Whitebeard reveal is that non book readers would be like "who?". For example I was watching the season premier with 7 other people non of them had read the book and only 1 remembered Ser Barristan and the others had to be explained who he is. The guy hasn't even been mentioned or seen since season 1 so even if they had played the book angle and kept his identity "hidden" the majority of viewers would still be like "who?" when he was finally revealed. Just too much confusion.


I got the same thing from the non-readers that I talk to who watch the show. And I even heard Andy Greenwald talk about it on Grantland yesterday, and he pays enough attention to write about it, and he even had to backtrack in his brain to figure out who he was.

It just seemed like a good thing to know for non-readers.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #2737
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 24,680
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Badass pic


Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #2738
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece
 
ItsMillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naptown
Posts: 1,399
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

"OURS IS THE FURY" is probably the best house motto in Westeros.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #2739
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,716
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I got the same thing from the non-readers that I talk to who watch the show. And I even heard Andy Greenwald talk about it on Grantland yesterday, and he pays enough attention to write about it, and he even had to backtrack in his brain to figure out who he was.

It just seemed like a good thing to know for non-readers.

Well they still have time to explore it in the show considering that Ser Jorah did say he's the most dangerous man in Westeros. I wonder how they'll reveal Ser Jorah's betrayal considering Barristan being exposed was what exposed him. I can already see a conflict between them regarding purchasing slaves etc. So hopefully the show really explores that
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #2740
Pointguard
NBA All-star
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,572
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
disappointed in Mance. he was nothing like how i pictured him. i expected him to be more roguish and charming. other then that, every character's casting has been spot on

That was their goal as they had McNulty from The Wire (Dominic West) pegged in that role. But he didn't want to be in Ice Land away from his family that long.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #2741
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16,362
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
That was their goal as they had McNulty from The Wire (Dominic West) pegged in that role. But he didn't want to be in Ice Land away from his family that long.

Damn it, Dominic West would have been a solid Mance.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #2742
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 15,483
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Yea....I thought they should have included the singing aspect with him just seeming to be a background type then ending up the king. Mcnulty would have pulled it off nicely.

Other guy can act...but I dont know how they pull off the traveling singing aspect book readers will know is key in the future.

Quote:

They look more humanish then i thought they would be.They're big but not stupid they have their own language or i think they speak the old tongue which i think is Valaryian?not sure more knowledgeable people would know.

They looked more human than described in the books. And they speak the old tongue. Some of the wildlings speak it but not most of them.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #2743
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 15,483
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:

There's little chance he's referring to either Clegane. Those guys are Brutes and Jamie is a technician. Those guys were promoted by his father, and butal guys to torment the small folk. They're beneath him in a few ways, he wouldn't choose either of them.




In the books he talks about the Mountians strength being like nothing human and how the big guy he was with was almost the size of the hound but the Hound being incredibly fast for his size and being ferocious.

Every time he mentioned the Hound it was with respect for his fighting ability. I dont think he would take either of them lightly....sure as hell not just assume hed win with ease. He said 1-2 might have a chance. I dont think he fights the Hound assuming he didnt have any chance of being killed.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #2744
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,592
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Well they still have time to explore it in the show considering that Ser Jorah did say he's the most dangerous man in Westeros. I wonder how they'll reveal Ser Jorah's betrayal considering Barristan being exposed was what exposed him. I can already see a conflict between them regarding purchasing slaves etc. So hopefully the show really explores that


Yeah, I found it telling that Jorah already expressed that he was Aerys' Kingsguard leader when he was killed, because I'm sure they're going to play that angle and the fact that Jorah was originally an assassin angle against each other.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #2745
Pointguard
NBA All-star
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,572
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Brohn, Tyrion's guard doesn't wear armor and somehow is still alive, he must be pretty good. But its not like anybody recognizes him. He like the underground best hits guy.

Had the flu last week so I just caught up from the beginning.

Random Thoughts.

Tyrion, did he study Prince - the singer - for the role. Hopefully will have a battle of wits with his dad. Funny how the family has one guy who fights, one guy who has free sex, one guy for honor...

"The innocents Dany/Sansa/Jon: But they are growing fast and seem like key pieces. The women had a highly romanticized idea of Queenship and men. Only to find out that men are mortal, sometimes cowards, dishonorable, more geared for destruction and reckless power. Aligning with them in this regards is futile and can end up going in any crazy direction. You see the mechanisms changing and wheels turning in their heads.

The thinkers without power - Varys/Tyrion/Lilfinger or the limp/imp and pimp. Varys operates in the world of knowledge primarily. Lilfinger is the most aggressive and the quickest to mix it up. Seems to be the coldest of the bunch as well. Tyrion seemingly can rise to most occasions and is more likely to manipulate, as he knows people better than even LilFinger. For Tyrion to win out he has to overcome his dad in some way. That's going to be exciting.

The "will the wind hurry up and blow so I can find my way" crew - Rob, Brother Jon, Osha. Don't let the wind blow the Starks way because a lady makes them lose their way - except Daddy Stark, he's very disciplined and it seems like he's the man with a code. Jon becomes a hard explanation in this light but something doesn't add up there. Wanting to be King corrupts and disables peoples humanity seems to be the author's angle. So the older Stark brothers are somewhat shielded from this destruction = its better to be love struck than wanting power.

Dragon lady has a nice shape. She needs more hot baths. When she gains political power I hope she goes that route immediately in season three

Can someone educate me on how long winters last where they are at? How often does it come and are they on the part of earth that gets six months partial night?
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy