Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #2731
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
There are a lot of giants, particularly in the third novel 'Storms of Swords'.
Are the giants the kind of giants we usually see, just huge wild beasts basically or are they actually just really big people?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2732
The Real JW
High School Starter

The Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
For those that haven't read the books, in the HBO series, when Jaime kills the kid in the cell, he talks about Barristan Selmy using his sword like a paint brush and painted blood everywhere with it like an artist. In the book, that is the Black Fish, Cat's uncle and we'll meet him this season. Keep that in mind when you see him.

Do you mean in the books Jaime says that about Black Fish instead of Selmy? The quote about him being a painter with the sword?
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #2733
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Game of Thrones season 3 premiere is the most pirated TV episode ever
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #2734
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Are the giants the kind of giants we usually see, just huge wild beasts basically or are they actually just really big people?
more of the side of huge beasts.

They look more humanish then i thought they would be.They're big but not stupid they have their own language or i think they speak the old tongue which i think is Valaryian?not sure more knowledgeable people would know.

Last edited by Brujesino : 04-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2735
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real JW
Do you mean in the books Jaime says that about Black Fish instead of Selmy? The quote about him being a painter with the sword?
Not the exact quote word for word but the respect for him and the fact that he was his squire not Selmy's. Selmy is a bad ass either way, book or show.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #2736
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just caught up with the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. The sets were incredible. These guys really know what they're doing.

I agree with the people about Mance not fitting my image of him. I expected him to be smaller, and more playfull. He's sort of an imposing figure. But I have faith that the character will work. Otherwise I feel like wildlings are handled really well. Although part of my interest in them may be related to how well things are shot up there.

The Tyrion Tywin scene was awesome, as most have pointed out. But I also felt the Onion Knight scene with Stannis and Melisandre was really well done.
A lot of the episode was just re-establishing conflicts. So it bounced around more than usual. It felt like they needed to re-establish everyone, and make sure the audience knew where they stood. Sansa and Littlefinger get a little play. Dany and slaver. Tyrion and his sister and father. Robb still on the hunt. Jon Snow captured. Stannis "still fighting". So perhaps not as deep as the average episode, but a great way to open the season.

One thing that differs from the books that I felt like some TV only people might be interested in, and this is not a spoiler, and I was curious how'd they pull it off, but in the end they just chose not to. But in the books Barriston Selmy establishes a relationship with Dany by saving her as he did here in the marketplace, but he proceeds as just a wise old man for the entire book. No one really knows who he is. He has a contentious relationship with Mormont for the entire book, mostly surrounding who Dany will lean on for council, and Mormont has a vague feeling he knows who he is. It's not until much later in the book that he's revealed as Selmy, and honestly I don't even remember if he comes out freely, or Mormont figures it out. I just know that I didn't know it was him the entire book, and the reveal was a shocker for me. With the visual presence obviously on screen, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off, although from what I read some people saying, they didn't even remember him from the previous seasons anyway. So when he took off his hood and declared himself Ser Barristan Selmy, a lot of people were like "who?" I found it interesting he already stated that he was a member of Dany's father's kingsguard, and he died, and he'd like to redeem himself protecting her, because the fact that Aryes died at the hands of one of his Kingsguardsmen (Jamie), is sort of a point of contention between he and Mormont in trying to council Dany. It was as if they were trying to get that established now.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2737
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #2738
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Just caught up with the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. The sets were incredible. These guys really know what they're doing.

I agree with the people about Mance not fitting my image of him. I expected him to be smaller, and more playfull. He's sort of an imposing figure. But I have faith that the character will work. Otherwise I feel like wildlings are handled really well. Although part of my interest in them may be related to how well things are shot up there.

The Tyrion Tywin scene was awesome, as most have pointed out. But I also felt the Onion Knight scene with Stannis and Melisandre was really well done.
A lot of the episode was just re-establishing conflicts. So it bounced around more than usual. It felt like they needed to re-establish everyone, and make sure the audience knew where they stood. Sansa and Littlefinger get a little play. Dany and slaver. Tyrion and his sister and father. Robb still on the hunt. Jon Snow captured. Stannis "still fighting". So perhaps not as deep as the average episode, but a great way to open the season.

One thing that differs from the books that I felt like some TV only people might be interested in, and this is not a spoiler, and I was curious how'd they pull it off, but in the end they just chose not to. But in the books Barriston Selmy establishes a relationship with Dany by saving her as he did here in the marketplace, but he proceeds as just a wise old man for the entire book. No one really knows who he is. He has a contentious relationship with Mormont for the entire book, mostly surrounding who Dany will lean on for council, and Mormont has a vague feeling he knows who he is. It's not until much later in the book that he's revealed as Selmy, and honestly I don't even remember if he comes out freely, or Mormont figures it out. I just know that I didn't know it was him the entire book, and the reveal was a shocker for me. With the visual presence obviously on screen, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off, although from what I read some people saying, they didn't even remember him from the previous seasons anyway. So when he took off his hood and declared himself Ser Barristan Selmy, a lot of people were like "who?" I found it interesting he already stated that he was a member of Dany's father's kingsguard, and he died, and he'd like to redeem himself protecting her, because the fact that Aryes died at the hands of one of his Kingsguardsmen (Jamie), is sort of a point of contention between he and Mormont in trying to council Dany. It was as if they were trying to get that established now.

The thing about the Artisan Whitebeard reveal is that non book readers would be like "who?". For example I was watching the season premier with 7 other people non of them had read the book and only 1 remembered Ser Barristan and the others had to be explained who he is. The guy hasn't even been mentioned or seen since season 1 so even if they had played the book angle and kept his identity "hidden" the majority of viewers would still be like "who?" when he was finally revealed. Just too much confusion.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #2739
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
The thing about the Artisan Whitebeard reveal is that non book readers would be like "who?". For example I was watching the season premier with 7 other people non of them had read the book and only 1 remembered Ser Barristan and the others had to be explained who he is. The guy hasn't even been mentioned or seen since season 1 so even if they had played the book angle and kept his identity "hidden" the majority of viewers would still be like "who?" when he was finally revealed. Just too much confusion.

I got the same thing from the non-readers that I talk to who watch the show. And I even heard Andy Greenwald talk about it on Grantland yesterday, and he pays enough attention to write about it, and he even had to backtrack in his brain to figure out who he was.

It just seemed like a good thing to know for non-readers.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #2740
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Badass pic

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #2741
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this board

"OURS IS THE FURY" is probably the best house motto in Westeros.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #2742
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I got the same thing from the non-readers that I talk to who watch the show. And I even heard Andy Greenwald talk about it on Grantland yesterday, and he pays enough attention to write about it, and he even had to backtrack in his brain to figure out who he was.

It just seemed like a good thing to know for non-readers.

Well they still have time to explore it in the show considering that Ser Jorah did say he's the most dangerous man in Westeros. I wonder how they'll reveal Ser Jorah's betrayal considering Barristan being exposed was what exposed him. I can already see a conflict between them regarding purchasing slaves etc. So hopefully the show really explores that
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #2743
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
disappointed in Mance. he was nothing like how i pictured him. i expected him to be more roguish and charming. other then that, every character's casting has been spot on

That was their goal as they had McNulty from The Wire (Dominic West) pegged in that role. But he didn't want to be in Ice Land away from his family that long.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #2744
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
That was their goal as they had McNulty from The Wire (Dominic West) pegged in that role. But he didn't want to be in Ice Land away from his family that long.

Damn it, Dominic West would have been a solid Mance.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #2745
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yea....I thought they should have included the singing aspect with him just seeming to be a background type then ending up the king. Mcnulty would have pulled it off nicely.

Other guy can act...but I dont know how they pull off the traveling singing aspect book readers will know is key in the future.

Quote:

They look more humanish then i thought they would be.They're big but not stupid they have their own language or i think they speak the old tongue which i think is Valaryian?not sure more knowledgeable people would know.

They looked more human than described in the books. And they speak the old tongue. Some of the wildlings speak it but not most of them.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: