Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #3151
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
I think Tywin is smarter then Tyrion

Without question as he is the elder, however Tyrion knows how to play the Game, the Game of Thrones. His travels to Winterfell, the Wall, they Eyrie, and Winterfell make him all the wiser in how to use truth and deception as your weapons to survive.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #3152
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
I agree. I think Tywin has seen everything being in that position possibly 30 years. He is definitely wiser, I can't say who is smarter - bitterness really clouds Tywin's judgment, tho.

I think they Tyrells are cunning and active. They know people and get their way without warfare. I think Lil Fing is ambitious and manipulative I don't see a lot of action on his part thus far. Varys is worldy with tentacles all over, he knows how things come into being and calculates with precision. In a quiet way he seems to be the most active. Tyrion is shrewd and interacts with a know how that is smooth.

Good post.

Out of the two, Varys comes off as the more omnipotent figure in terms of influence and knowledge. Nothing escapes his ears, he is in the know of virtually everything that is (at least in Westeros). He def has a dark and vindictive side (as glimpsed w/ the sorcerer) but he seems to be a firm believer in balance. He is the epitome of neutrality.

LittleFinger is like a serpent. He slithers amongst the elite, planting seeds of doubt and deception. His actions/politicking are simply a means to an end for him, therefore he feels no regret nor remorse. This makes him a very dangerous individual to anyone who gets in his way. Its quite clear, he is firmly invested in acquiring great power by any means necessary.

At the end of the day, both men are arguably more 'powerful' than any one king and they do it all behind the scenes.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #3153
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So we know how the Hound story goes next week at the hands of a sword with...FIRE.

Thanks guys.
I know, right? So disappointed when I read that last night... not by the outcome, but by the spoiler mentioned multiple times in a row without warning.

Maybe there should be a separate thread for people who have read the books?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #3154
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
Good post.

Out of the two, Varys comes off as the more omnipotent figure in terms of influence and knowledge. Nothing escapes his ears, he is in the know of virtually everything that is (at least in Westeros). He def has a dark and vindictive side (as glimpsed w/ the sorcerer) but he seems to be a firm believer in balance. He is the epitome of neutrality.

LittleFinger is like a serpent. He slithers amongst the elite, planting seeds of doubt and deception. His actions/politicking are simply a means to an end for him, therefore he feels no regret nor remorse. This makes him a very dangerous individual to anyone who gets in his way. Its quite clear, he is firmly invested in acquiring great power by any means necessary.

At the end of the day, both men are arguably more 'powerful' than any one king and they do it all behind the scenes.

except littlefinger wants power out of greed, varys tries to use his power for the the realm
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #3155
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I know, right? So disappointed when I read that last night... not by the outcome, but by the spoiler mentioned multiple times in a row without warning.

there is

And yes there were a bunch spoilers some pages back but the last couple have been really good discussions without spoilers.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #3156
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

There is a thread for the book readers - "something something Fire and Ice" . They can't help themselves. Several guys are really good about not delving out spoilers and I only trust them. I'm not going to read the book anytime soon because once I start one medium I like sticking to it.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #3157
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

way to waste time on Theon. either kill him or at least don't go in a circle again, that shit was pointless and just a waste on a show with this many active plotlines.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #3158
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
way to waste time on Theon. either kill him or at least don't go in a circle again, that shit was pointless and just a waste on a show with this many active plotlines.
You know nothing.. This is just the beginning for Theon's penance.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #3159
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
You know nothing.. This is just the beginning for Theon's penance.
Agree. People who didn't read, don't know who is he dealing with yet...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #3160
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
How many years was that warlock in Vary's box. I mean you a warlock... At least stop eating after the 15th year? I am under the impression that it has to be at least 30 years in the box but more likely 40.

Did Dany dress seductively when she made the dragon offer so that she would hate the Slaver moreso? It was kind of predictable. Don't know why the crazy dragons got to light the place up when there was probably food on the premises. 8000 and three dragons aren't going to eat at my place.

The size of other armies are not really stated but Dany seems to have an advantage. But what story gets told with such obvious advantages? Its not like the night walkers can do much damage against them either. There has to be a flaw. Maybe her morality: An army of transvestites would really confuse Dany.

Theon is a mouse on a wheel... with and alligator underneath it. Sansa is a human chess piece. The Tyrells are the best chess players. Tyrion has the wits to match them but Daddy'O is too busy undermining him.

Best show of the series.
Varys' point was patience, I don't think the warlock had been like that for long. I believe Varys recently has managed to capture him using his hard earned influence. If you noticed his mouth was stitched shut so he could not shout for help while he was being shipped to Varys.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #3161
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Varys' point was patience, I don't think the warlock had been like that for long. I believe Varys recently has managed to capture him using his hard earned influence. If you noticed his mouth was stitched shut so he could not shout for help while he was being shipped to Varys.
yeah my impression was that the warlock was a recent acquisition. varys greeted him as such, they hadn't seen each other since he was a child.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #3162
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

RBA, maybe we should Hold our horses? Rezznor did you
Say we weren't spoiled in reference to my comment about the hound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
In the book it gets badly infected and he suffers a lot as a result. Haven't seen the episode yet but I'm assuming they didn't want to spend a lot of time dealing with the details of his recovery/the healing process.

Thank you
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #3163
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
RBA, maybe we should Hold our horses? Rezznor did you
Say we weren't spoiled in reference to my comment about the hound?

Thank you

when we talked about the flaming sword earlier i was referring to events that happened in the book that wasn't in the show. (I think it was Jaimie) talking about past tourneys that were held and how Thoros won with a gimmicky and "ridiculous" flaming sword. we weren't talking about the Hound's upcoming trial.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #3164
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
when we talked about the flaming sword earlier i was referring to events that happened in the book that wasn't in the show. (I think it was Jaimie) talking about past tourneys that were held and how Thoros won with a gimmicky and "ridiculous" flaming sword. we weren't talking about the Hound's upcoming trial.

Ahhhhhh gotcha. Solid!
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #3165
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
I think Tywin is smarter then Tyrion, and Littlefinger and Varys are the most powerful people in the show, they controlling everything without anyone realizing it.

You have no idea. Varys has been plotting for 20 years. Littlefinger too. Im not gonna spoil anything even though the show will change it....but...really. Its just them and people they manipulate for their own reasons. And I mean everyone...everywhere.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: