Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #3286
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriX
i think looking back at it now you can see some glues to whats going on that are really subtle.
There were no clues.... Only book readers have the hindsight 20/20 because they read the book.

For those who watch the show didnt see a mass murder was going to take place. For anyone to claim there were clues based on the TV SHOW is lying.

That's what made this episode so appealing and mind blowing because you couldn't see it coming.

I can understand why it happened. And in my mind all looks dire and I cant even fathom how the Lannisters are going to get there's by the Starks with such few men and no leader.

Last edited by Rameek : 06-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #3287
knickballer
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
There were no clues.... Only book readers have the hindsight 20/20 because they read the book.

For those who watch the show didnt see a mass murder was going to take place. For anyone to claim there were clues based on the TV SHOW is lying.

That's what made this episode so appealing and mind blowing because you couldn't see it coming.

I can understand why it happened. And in my mind all looks dire and I cant even fathom how the Lannisters are going to get there's by the Starks with such few men and no leader.

Jakes will be on the Lannisters when the the handicap Stark kid goes all professor Xavier on them when he gets a bit older.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #3288
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Alright ...

So I've been waiting all season for this episode, as have most of the book readers. And I'm a little split on how it all went down.

On the plus side:
I really liked the Talisa character. I thought they did a much much better job devoloping that character than they did with the Jeyne Westerling character in the book whom she replaced. I was somewhat intrigued by the "Talisa is a spy" theory that was floated around the past few weeks, however I did have some issues with it (most notably as I said about Tywin still not knowing about Jamie's whereabouts). For me, the Red Wedding was as devastating a thing as I can remember reading. Adding in a dimension to me where she stood up and somehow callously walked away from Robb, while he was killed, and taking her unborn, presumably so heir to the north, over to the Lannisters, would've just been too much. As it stood it was devastating enough, it didn't need this Talisa the Spy element to rub salt into the wounds (however it would've added an extra element for readers who watched it).
In the books, Jeyne Westerling has played very very little role since the Red Wedding. She was left behind in Riverrun, pregnant, and readers on message boards like to theorize about her potential son being heir to the north. However with the way the show played out, it doesn't seem like that's a possible scenario at this point. So this is an example where the show somewhat ruins the book I suppose.
In the books the fight is much more impressive, with The Greatjon Umber picking up a table and using it as a shield and really womping some ass. As Blaze said, it was written out, and I actually believe I read on a link on this site that the actor who played him was assualted outside a hotel in London by some hooligans and had an ear ripped off, and probably wasn't available to shoot this season.
The addition of a pregnant women being stabbed repeatedly in the stomach, then slowly dieing in front of her husband was a brutal addition. But, to this point anyway, they've left out some of the bodily mutilation that takes place in the books, that for me made the whole Red Wedding extra despicable.

I did have a gripe as the season went on, just feeling like the pacing of Robb's story was off, and his being often visited just seeming to be doing little more than camping, didn't make the audience care about him as much as I felt I did as a reader. I'm a team Stark guy. I was while I was reading. I don't think there was as much a sense of that in the show. But I could be wrong. I have friends who do not read who were texting me immediately last night who were shocked and angry.

As for the rest of the episode. I did like the presentation of the Yunkai battle. I wish Barristan was involved, I know he wasn't in the book, but that character has deviated enough from the book at this point it wouldn't have mattered. I liked the wider angle appearance of the fight, although it did cut a little to quick for me.

I do have a question for book readers that frankly I just don't remember. What was The Blackfish doing there? IIRC he wasn't there in the books? And he does have some more to do moving forward? And based on internet discussion, seems likely he will show up further as the books continue even beyond where they are now? How did he escape?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #3289
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

i'm just bitter because Rob was one of my favorite characters and i bought into the whole King of the North thing. Not to mention they started that scene by shanking a pregnant woman, which is very brutal.

also, i was out of my mind on rum and just didn't expect any of that to happen. i was wondering why fans were making a big deal of a wedding.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3290
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Still think his brand of story telling isn't my cup of tea. Yea, its not a fairytale but its also not hell on earth. I've heard more spoilers but he puts his characters through so much it makes them uninteresting imo because they become to ****ed up in the process. That may be his point but I'm out.

theres also a lot of questionable decision making that makes these kill-off's more annoying. maybe the books explain things better but starting from early on a lot of the decisions Starks wife made were retarded, making things worse and its like she never stopped making bad decisions until her death. sometimes it feels like watching people just shoot themselves in the foot where they don't have common sense just to create a plot or further it....on top of being shown some characters every week, only to see them die and then think what was the point of really focusing on him, and why not just tell what happened to him off camera/panel? i mean all of those Robb Stark scenes seemed pretty pointless right now and were like all fluff, to the point of not much would've changed it seemed if they had just talked about him and not followed him regularly like a main character. they could've just followed Starks wife and come to the same climactic end point, most of the scenes i remember of him are in some basement and his relationships or some strategizing dilemma talk with his mom. it just seemed so unnecessary to have focused on him so much considering how quickly he died. its also sort of lame to be introducing main characters later if thats how things go while killing off earlier ones. definitely not my type of storytelling preference either.

Dany's been great this season imo, but a lot of other stuff has been sort of a disappointment. expected a lot more with Jon Snow once things started rolling but it hasn't been too great. Bran stuff is nowhere. tyrion hasn't been doing much of late ever since he became treasurer. i guess Arya stuff has been okay but expected more with that too. theon i gather will be doing more later so its character building right now but he sure isn't very likable or entertaining much up to this point. meh, still watching tho.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #3291
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I do have a question for book readers that frankly I just don't remember. What was The Blackfish doing there? IIRC he wasn't there in the books? And he does have some more to do moving forward? And based on internet discussion, seems likely he will show up further as the books continue even beyond where they are now? How did he escape?
in white

Blackfish wasnt there for the wedding in the books.He stayed with Jeyne at riverrun.

I think they may have the story be that Blackfish fought his way out of the twins and returns to riverrun.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #3292
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Alright ...

So I've been waiting all season for this episode, as have most of the book readers. And I'm a little split on how it all went down.

On the plus side:
I really liked the Talisa character. I thought they did a much much better job devoloping that character than they did with the Jeyne Westerling character in the book whom she replaced. I was somewhat intrigued by the "Talisa is a spy" theory that was floated around the past few weeks, however I did have some issues with it (most notably as I said about Tywin still not knowing about Jamie's whereabouts). For me, the Red Wedding was as devastating a thing as I can remember reading. Adding in a dimension to me where she stood up and somehow callously walked away from Robb, while he was killed, and taking her unborn, presumably so heir to the north, over to the Lannisters, would've just been too much. As it stood it was devastating enough, it didn't need this Talisa the Spy element to rub salt into the wounds (however it would've added an extra element for readers who watched it).
In the books, Jeyne Westerling has played very very little role since the Red Wedding. She was left behind in Riverrun, pregnant, and readers on message boards like to theorize about her potential son being heir to the north. However with the way the show played out, it doesn't seem like that's a possible scenario at this point. So this is an example where the show somewhat ruins the book I suppose.
In the books the fight is much more impressive, with The Greatjon Umber picking up a table and using it as a shield and really womping some ass. As Blaze said, it was written out, and I actually believe I read on a link on this site that the actor who played him was assualted outside a hotel in London by some hooligans and had an ear ripped off, and probably wasn't available to shoot this season.
The addition of a pregnant women being stabbed repeatedly in the stomach, then slowly dieing in front of her husband was a brutal addition. But, to this point anyway, they've left out some of the bodily mutilation that takes place in the books, that for me made the whole Red Wedding extra despicable.

I did have a gripe as the season went on, just feeling like the pacing of Robb's story was off, and his being often visited just seeming to be doing little more than camping, didn't make the audience care about him as much as I felt I did as a reader. I'm a team Stark guy. I was while I was reading. I don't think there was as much a sense of that in the show. But I could be wrong. I have friends who do not read who were texting me immediately last night who were shocked and angry.

As for the rest of the episode. I did like the presentation of the Yunkai battle. I wish Barristan was involved, I know he wasn't in the book, but that character has deviated enough from the book at this point it wouldn't have mattered. I liked the wider angle appearance of the fight, although it did cut a little to quick for me.

I've read the books and I still think the shit was still brutal to see on the screen. Especially Robb's wife catching the knife(I would have hated the she's a spy theory). Even if you didn't care about Robb or hated him the Red Wedding served it's purpose with the reaction to the way him and pretty much the North went out like that.

As for the Blackfish he apparently went to go relieve himself so that was his premise to escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
i'm just bitter because Rob was one of my favorite characters and i bought into the whole King of the North thing. Not to mention they started that scene by shanking a pregnant woman, which is very brutal.

Your reaction is exactly what the scene was intended for. You get emotionally invested in the characters but have to deal with the harsh realities of that world. And I guarantee you there will be characters that become your favourite as the story progresses. The arcs and twists to it are pretty surprising.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #3293
Rameek
Krust Kingz

After reading some of the book readers assessment I think the story is even more exciting I think because Robb was on the brink of defeat but something was going to happen to turn the tide in his favor. Rob was built in my eyes as the Hero and Main character now we are lost Where is this story really going?

Book readers I can understand how Rob was a waste of time and inconsequential.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #3294
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
theres also a lot of questionable decision making that makes these kill-off's more annoying. maybe the books explain things better but starting from early on a lot of the decisions Starks wife made were retarded, making things worse and its like she never stopped making bad decisions until her death. sometimes it feels like watching people just shoot themselves in the foot where they don't have common sense just to create a plot or further it....on top of being shown some characters every week, only to see them die and then think what was the point of really focusing on him, and why not just tell what happened to him off camera/panel? i mean all of those Robb Stark scenes seemed pretty pointless right now and were like all fluff, to the point of not much would've changed it seemed if they had just talked about him and not followed him regularly like a main character. they could've just followed Starks wife and come to the same climactic end point, most of the scenes i remember of him are in some basement and his relationships or some strategizing dilemma talk with his mom. it just seemed so unnecessary to have focused on him so much considering how quickly he died. its also sort of lame to be introducing main characters later if thats how things go while killing off earlier ones. definitely not my type of storytelling preference either.

Dany's been great this season imo, but a lot of other stuff has been sort of a disappointment. expected a lot more with Jon Snow once things started rolling but it hasn't been too great. Bran stuff is nowhere. tyrion hasn't been doing much of late ever since he became treasurer. i guess Arya stuff has been okay but expected more with that too. theon i gather will be doing more later so its character building right now but he sure isn't very likable or entertaining much up to this point. meh, still watching tho.

This is explained much better in the books. Rob and Catelyn's story has kind of gotten the shaft in the series. Catelyn's biggest screw up was letting Jaimie go and in the books it's explained that she did that out of grief when she gets the news that Bran and Rickon are dead, in the show she lets him go way before that and gets the news the next season which is pretty stupid the way they did it considering I'm pretty sure she let Jaimie go after the episode that Bran and Rickon were supposedly dead.

Robb gets the same treatment. To be honest he's not even really in the 2nd book because he's fighting in the West, but they couldn't go a whole season without showing one of the main characters and not have people care. Second like Catelyn he bangs Talisa(her name is Jeyne in the books) after he hears about Bran and Rickon being killed. He marries her because he believes in honour like his dad, all this is done off panel while he's in the West. Like Catelyn his response was emotional and given the context of him being a Stark it made sense in the books. But the show did a poor job of explaining all this. Plus he wasn't attacking Casterly Rock after the wedding he was heading back North to retake Winterfell so you have a sense of shit actually starting to look up them BAM! Red Wedding.....
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #3295
imnew09
Retired

still can't believe what I saw in the latest episode...
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #3296
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
. Starks outlawed their favorite hobby of skinning people alive.

no wonder Reek got what he got. I didn't realize the Bolton's flayed people as a hobby
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #3297
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I hope they show this in the next episode.

And only thing that bothers me in this one is that Grey Wind had no badass death...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #3298
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece

Grey Wind deserved way better than that. ****ing Freys
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #3299
LJJ
Extra Cheese

The guy who played Robb Stark says he cried on the plane home.

http://news.yahoo.com/game-thrones-r...022952619.html

I can sympathize, I would be crying too if this just ended for me:

LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #3300
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Game of Thrones: Red Wedding Reactions Compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=78juOpTM3tE
Ancient Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: