Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #3361
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Margaery is my favourite, and I can't even explain why, I can't put my finger on it.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #3362
Nick Young
Arbiter of Coexistence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
Margaery is my favourite, and I can't even explain why, I can't put my finger on it.
it's her slutty manipulator bitch personality.

For me it used to be Ygritte until I actually saw her emaciated ass, now it's probably marg
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #3363
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Personally, I was more blown away by the very end of SOS than I was the Red Wedding. I kind of figured the Freys wouldn't just let that kind of effrontery slide and they would get their revenge in a big way, maybe not to the extent that it ended up being though. Guys know how to hold a grudge

But the first appearance of ***SPOILER ONLY IF YOU LOOK IT UP*** Lady Stoneheart knocked me on my ass.

I think that image and that quote 'she don't ****... but she *******' would be the most epic way to cap the season.

That would be a great way to cap the season but *Spoiler* There is so much that happens before that with Joffrey's wedding, the Kingslayer's return, Tyrion's epic saga, etc. I don't see how they could pack all that into one episode.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #3364
ZeN
Stormblessed

Game of Thrones: Red Wedding Reactions Compilation
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #3365
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Oh Shit, I Totally Forgot That Happens!
COMMENTARY • Opinion • ISSUE 49•23 • Jun 3, 2013
By George R.R. Martin

As the author of the popular Song Of Ice And Fire series of fantasy novels, it has been a pleasure and a joy to watch Game Of Thrones, HBO’s riveting television adaptation of my work. Every week, the show delights viewers, myself included, with a series of stirring performances, deftly maneuvered feats of visual storytelling, and eye-popping special effects. It truly is a joy to watch my novels—my life’s work—come to life on the screen, rendered with tact, faithfulness, and considerable filmmaking skill.

That being said, HOLY ****ING SHIT. I totally forgot that whole thing about the Red Wedding! Christ almighty, talk about a punch in the goddamned gut. I must have been sitting there for 20 minutes afterwards just completely numb with disbelief, like, “What the hell did I just watch?”

I mean, is it that brutal in my book? I honestly don’t remember.

The whole time it was happening, I was literally just staring at my television in shock thinking, “Son of a bitch, I forgot about that! Three of the story’s main characters are murdered in the most savage and horrific fashion imaginable!” My wife and I were sitting on the couch and we both just turned and looked at each other, like, “Whoa. That was intense.” I mean, I vaguely remember writing something like that, but that was years ago, you know? You forget these things.

And you don’t see it coming, either; that’s the thing. The previous episode capped off with the marriage of Tyrion Lannister and Sansa Stark, which seemed like it might be the real big event in a season that has largely been concerned with puzzle pieces falling into place. So with only two episodes left before the season’s conclusion, I was just looking forward to some more juicy exposition, no more, no less. But no! Catelyn Stark, Robb Stark, his wife Talisa and their unborn child—hell, even Robb’s wolf, Grey Wind—all slaughtered on the same night by the traitorous Walder Frey and his league of Lannister sympathizers! And at the end of a wedding no less! A goddamned wedding!

And here I was sitting on my couch like a child thinking about how sweet it was that Talisa wanted to name the baby after Ned Stark, and how emotional it would be in two minutes when Robb finally met up with Arya, who was right outside the whole time. I was looking forward to that scene for three whole episodes! I was 100 percent sure I had written it, too. I mean, who doesn’t want Arya to reunite with her family?

Then out of nowhere, boom! Catelyn Stark’s neck is sliced open with her firstborn son dead at her feet. And I suddenly remembered, “Oh, yeah! I did that.”

I think it was in Book Four. Or Book Three? One of those.

The worst part, though, was the moment right when I started to realize what I had written. It was after Lothar Frey went to the back of the room and closed those big doors and Catelyn Stark looked over at Roose Bolton and saw that he’s wearing chainmail under his nice clothes. That was the moment I thought, “****, that’s right. I think I might kill off Robb Stark here.” And then I did! And boy, was it a hard to thing to watch, especially when I had also completely blanked on the fact his mom dies right after.

This ****ing show, you know? One minute Robb Stark is solidifying his military power on his way to King’s Landing and the next he’s bleeding out on the floor. Just goes to show you can’t get too attached to any of my characters.

Hell, I’m still getting over the death of Ned Stark in Season One.

And even though it’s my responsibility as an author to protect the integrity of my novels at all costs, I have to admit that I personally wouldn’t have noticed if they’d completely changed the story at that point and the episode had ended happily. Hell, those books were written a long time ago; you can’t expect me to remember every last detail. Sure, I’m an executive producer on the show and they send me all the scripts on these things, but I never read them. Those things are full of spoilers.

At any rate, holy shit! I almost don’t want to see what I do next week. All I know is Tyrion better not get killed, because if he dies I’m done with this show, man. Done.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #3366
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

I remember having to read the Red Wedding twice just to make sure I read it correctly. Such a savagely amazing moment.

And the changes they made to the television version? Even better. Even more gut-wrenching. I had wondered how they were going to pull it off and now they've got their entire audience reacting in some way. Bravo.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #3367
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

All of this could have been avoided had Frey just shown robb that he had one hot daughter.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #3368
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
That would be a great way to cap the season but *Spoiler* Hodor and Brienne have a baby.

It's been like 2 years since I read SOS, I completely forgot all that happens in between the RW and the lady's first appearance.

Damn, forgot how insane SOS was. I need to reread it now...

They're splitting the book into 2 seasons, right? That moment probably won't come until next season's finale.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #3369
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
By George R.R. Martin

As the author of the popular Song Of Ice And Fire series of fantasy novels, it has been a pleasure and a joy to watch Game Of Thrones, HBO’s riveting television adaptation of my work. Every week, the show delights viewers, myself included, with a series of stirring performances, deftly maneuvered feats of visual storytelling, and eye-popping special effects. It truly is a joy to watch my novels—my life’s work—come to life on the screen, rendered with tact, faithfulness, and considerable filmmaking skill.

That being said, HOLY ****ING SHIT. I totally forgot that whole thing about the Red Wedding! Christ almighty, talk about a punch in the goddamned gut. I must have been sitting there for 20 minutes afterwards just completely numb with disbelief, like, “What the hell did I just watch?”

The whole time it was happening, I was literally just staring at my television in shock thinking, “Son of a bitch, I forgot about that! Three of the story’s main characters are murdered in the most savage and horrific fashion imaginable!” My wife and I were sitting on the couch and we both just turned and looked at each other, like, “Whoa. That was intense.” I mean, I vaguely remember writing something like that, but that was years ago, you know? You forget these things.

And you don’t see it coming, either; that’s the thing. The previous episode capped off with the marriage of Tyrion Lannister and Sansa Stark, which seemed like it might be the real big event in a season that has largely been concerned with puzzle pieces falling into place. So with only two episodes left before the season’s conclusion, I was just looking forward to some more juicy exposition, no more, no less. But no! Catelyn Stark, Robb Stark, his wife Talisa and their unborn child—hell, even Robb’s wolf, Grey Wind—all slaughtered on the same night by the traitorous Walder Frey and his league of Lannister sympathizers! And at the end of a wedding no less! A goddamned wedding!

And here I was sitting on my couch like a child thinking about how sweet it was that Talisa wanted to name the baby after Ned Stark, and how emotional it would be in two minutes when Robb finally met up with Arya, who was right outside the whole time. I was looking forward to that scene for three whole episodes! I was 100 percent sure I had written it, too. I mean, who doesn’t want Arya to reunite with her family?

Then out of nowhere, boom! Catelyn Stark’s neck is sliced open with her firstborn son dead at her feet. And I suddenly remembered, “Oh, yeah! I did that.”

The worst part, though, was the moment right when I started to realize what I had written. It was after Lothar Frey went to the back of the room and closed those big doors and Catelyn Stark looked over at Roose Bolton and saw that he’s wearing chainmail under his nice clothes. That was the moment I thought, “****, that’s right. I think I might kill off Robb Stark here.” And then I did! And boy, was it a hard to thing to watch, especially when I had also completely blanked on the fact his mom dies right after.

This ****ing show, you know? One minute Robb Stark is solidifying his military power on his way to King’s Landing and the next he’s bleeding out on the floor. Just goes to show you can’t get too attached to any of my characters.

And even though it’s my responsibility as an author to protect the integrity of my novels at all costs, I have to admit that I personally wouldn’t have noticed if they’d completely changed the story at that point and the episode had ended happily. Hell, those books were written a long time ago; you can’t expect me to remember every last detail. Sure, I’m an executive producer on the show and they send me all the scripts on these things, but I never read them. Those things are full of spoilers.

At any rate, holy shit! I almost don’t want to see what I do next week. All I know is Tyrion better not get killed, because if he dies I’m done with this show, man. Done.

That was fantastic.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #3370
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Are the books better than the show? Does the show follow closely to the books? I've been thinking about reading the books cause I hate waiting a whole week for the next show to air.
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #3371
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
Are the books better than the show? Does the show follow closely to the books? I've been thinking about reading the books cause I hate waiting a whole week for the next show to air.

the show is fantastic. But it is dwarfed by how amazing the books are. Read the books, and you can become bitter like the rest of us who are still waiting for the next damn book to come out after GRRM gave us massive boners with the series thus far. and you can point out small details that changed and piss off a bunch of folks who dont like that
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #3372
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
it's her slutty manipulator bitch personality.

For me it used to be Ygritte until I actually saw her emaciated ass, now it's probably marg

Think you're right, she'd have me wrapped round her little finger.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #3373
The_Yearning
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
By George R.R. Martin

This dude should stop sounding like an idiot and get back to work on the series.
The_Yearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #3374
Pointguard
NBA All-star

The show didn't shock me that much. I kind of removed myself from Rob because he seems to do the wrong thing a lot and Catelyn is the best there is at doing the wrong thing - she caused lives all the time. I didn't think they would die to together (along with wife and chlld as well) at a wedding... just happy Catelyn and Rob didn't see Ayran earlier because they would have gotten her killed as well. Felt bad that Catelyn had killed an innocent in the matter thinking that she had a chess piece with her son. She should have snuck around to get a knife at the throat of Walder.

I think the director did attempt to have some rooting going on for Danery's, Bran and Jon Snow to a lesser degree, to cancel out the horrid continuation of the Stark family massacres, but it didn't really work as Dany's scene was rushed despite the show ending six minutes short and Jon Snow is still lacking good follow thru in his situations. Ned's family is a bit too noble... but Ayran, I think she's had that beat out of her.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3375
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
This dude should stop sounding like an idiot and get back to work on the series.
You do realize thats from The Onion...

Right?

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: