Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #3466
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Theon's story arc is one of the better in the series, rivaling Jamie's in it's ups and downs. But the payoff won't be for a while yet, and even up to date reading the endgame isn't entirely clear.

But I have to admit, the story at this point is not translating well to the screen. It's more about keeping track of the fact that he's been captured and is being tortured than anything else, and really could be limited to much shorter and less graphic moments just as a reminder.

That Talisa thing above was a fascinating concept. It would be awesome if that was the payoff. One of the things I've liked about the show vs. the book is I think the Talisa character is far more interesting than the Jeyne Westerling character in the books. (in fact, most of the women in the show are better than they read. Cersei has a lot more depth than I thought they'd ever muster out of what was a pretty written in stone character, and is a huge compliment to Lena Headey. And Margery Tyrell is also better on screen than what was a somewhat sketched version of her on the page IMO).
My only big gripe with the Talisa theory is that if it's true, how come Tywin continues to not know the status of Jamie. She'd certainly have gotten word to him at this point. It's not as if she doesn't know.

I think the reason Theon's story arc hasn't translated well to the show is because they're beating viewers over the head with it. I know they're saving up for the big reveal but I feel it's going to fall flat since most viewers will be like who? or just say well that wasn't really worth the suspense. They would have been better served revealing the his torturer once he was led back into the dungeon then showing a piece of him being broken down every other episode instead rehashing the same shit every episode.

As far as the female characters I loved what they did with Margaery, I'm indifferent to Catlyn since I don't like her character from the books and Talisa is a lot more interesting but if the whole spy thing is true it would be the most contrived and inplausible plot point on the show. As far as Cersei I hate what the show has done to her I mean she's still a bitch, but I couldn't find a redeemable quality about book Cersei. On the show they've pretty much whitewashed her and passed off her horrible acts onto Joffrey.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #3467
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

While obviously not "spoiler" territory, I will say I'm sort of sorry I watched the Talisa/spy video. It seems so obvious to me now. Just re-watching this last episode, that love scene took on a new life. There she was, once again, writing letters no one else can read. There she was, once again, purposely distracting Robb from the task at hand. There was Catelyn Stark, once again, giving her the stink eye.

I will be absolutely shocked if that theory doesn't turn out being true, at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
My only big gripe with the Talisa theory is that if it's true, how come Tywin continues to not know the status of Jamie. She'd certainly have gotten word to him at this point. It's not as if she doesn't know.

Has Tywin publicly stated that he doesn't know the whereabouts or well being of Jamie? I know others have asked him about it and I recall his responses usually being somewhere in the neighborhood of, "I'll do anything I can."

That would actually go to backing the claims. He doesn't want to tell anyone or be overt about his tactic with all the "spiders" always playing both sides, but I don't remember him every flat-out denying knowledge of Jamie.

Also, if he has openly discussed not knowing about Jamie, it could be that he was aware Jamie was on his way, but it is taking longer than it should and he really doesn't know at this stage?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #3468
Pointguard

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
While obviously not "spoiler" territory, I will say I'm sort of sorry I watched the Talisa/spy video. It seems so obvious to me now. Just re-watching this last episode, that love scene took on a new life. There she was, once again, writing letters no one else can read. There she was, once again, purposely distracting Robb from the task at hand. There was Catelyn Stark, once again, giving her the stink eye.

I will be absolutely shocked if that theory doesn't turn out being true, at this point.
I have not read the books.

I think she is spy but not for Tywin. I talked about Rob being expendable in this thread the first time I seen her. But I thought she was going to kill him. Her evasiveness caught my eye right away but I wasn't thinking espionage. My hunch is she works for the black haired Lil Finger.

Tywin does impress me as a guy that would hold a meeting just to see how good his spy resources are in others. The counter argument would be why would he know where Jaime was and not do anything at all. He's definitely not a know but not do type of guy. I just don't see her working for Tywin, unless there was some massive crow intercept.

While Khaleesi is good at Valerian she seems to be totally alone in that world, and her resources seem to be devoid of even crows or friends beyond a couple of months.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #3469
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
I have not read the books.

I think she is spy but not for Tywin. I talked about Rob being expendable in this thread the first time I seen her. But I thought she was going to kill him. Her evasiveness caught my eye right away but I wasn't thinking espionage. My hunch is she works for the black haired Lil Finger.

Tywin does impress me as a guy that would hold a meeting just to see how good his spy resources are in others. The counter argument would be why would he know where Jaime was and not do anything at all. He's definitely not a know but not do type of guy. I just don't see her working for Tywin, unless there was some massive crow intercept.

While Khaleesi is good at Valerian she seems to be totally alone in that world, and her resources seem to be devoid of even crows or friends beyond a couple of months.

You bring up a few good points... While I'm pretty sure Talisa is running a scam, I'm less sure that Tywin is behind it, though he'd be the most obvious candidate. Little Finger is an interesting prediction.

What would be his end-game though? It is one thing to have a spy and be generally devious, which he always is... But what Talisa is doing -- if she is a spy -- would go beyond simple "garnering information" territory and into an assassination/end the war scenario.

That would seem to benefit the Lannister, Baratheon and Tyrell cliques far more than anyone else.

Baelish? I have no doubt he would do it, but that is a pretty drastic action for someone always playing both sides.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #3470
The_Yearning
The Truthteller

The_Yearning has decent reputationThe_Yearning has decent reputation

Maybe that punk just wants to keep an eye on Lady Stark. But I wouldn't doubt that Tulisa was just from some whorehouse and she made up the whole story about Volantis.
The_Yearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #3471
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Has Tywin publicly stated that he doesn't know the whereabouts or well being of Jamie? I know others have asked him about it and I recall his responses usually being somewhere in the neighborhood of, "I'll do anything I can."

That would actually go to backing the claims. He doesn't want to tell anyone or be overt about his tactic with all the "spiders" always playing both sides, but I don't remember him every flat-out denying knowledge of Jamie.

Also, if he has openly discussed not knowing about Jamie, it could be that he was aware Jamie was on his way, but it is taking longer than it should and he really doesn't know at

this stage?

I'm remembering specifically the small council meeting where Tywin hammers his guys for not knowing about Jamie's whereabouts. And if you want to say he knows but he's testing his crew, then they have to come back and clarify it, which is more work than they'll do.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #3472
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #3473
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Damn, the chick who plays Sansa looks like she'd be a total freak in bed.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #3474
longtime lurker

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Sam the Slayer in deed
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #3475
Pointguard

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You bring up a few good points... While I'm pretty sure Talisa is running a scam, I'm less sure that Tywin is behind it, though he'd be the most obvious candidate. Little Finger is an interesting prediction.

What would be his end-game though? It is one thing to have a spy and be generally devious, which he always is... But what Talisa is doing -- if she is a spy -- would go beyond simple "garnering information" territory and into an assassination/end the war scenario.

That would seem to benefit the Lannister, Baratheon and Tyrell cliques far more than anyone else.

Baelish? I have no doubt he would do it, but that is a pretty drastic action for someone always playing both sides.

Yeah, I rejected Varys because he plays a softer game with women/seductresses. But both manipulators are in the game of knowing things for future twist, possible accolades and points with Tywin. A delay with info is definitely a manipulators move, not somebody with established power already.

Its not Tywin cause Jaime's life was in limbo in front of her face, so to speak, a couple of times.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #3476
Pointguard

Quote:

He's going to be King... you can see it in his eyes, his swagger, his fearlessness. On a nice day he's the guy torturing Theon.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3477
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation here

Natalie Dormer is fine as f*ck!
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #3478
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One thing I like is that George Martin writes some episodes. He wrote the most recent one. So I feel like if they are sneaking Talisa being a spy in...hes at least in on it and really involved. Isnt just some guy deciding the story wasnt good enough. He wrote that episode himself.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #3479
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
Natalie Dormer is fine as f*ck!

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #3480
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
He's going to be King... you can see it in his eyes, his swagger, his fearlessness.

Def swagger. No hover hands for this guy! He is right in there.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: