Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #3466
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,932
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
What did you guys expect from a season finale? The past 3 finales have all been the same-- setting up events for the next season.

This was a good episode.

Theon's sister going to the South, Gendry escaped, White Walkers are nearing, Jon is back in Castle Black, Arya finally killed someone, and Dany is building massively.

Also, I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to the return of Jamie and his missing hand.

I don't know why people are complaining? I thought this season (and the final episode) were great. Maybe not as good as 1 or 2, but definitely solid. I don't know exactly what people want out of it? The finale was exactly the right way to do it. As you said, season 4 is now set up to go.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #3467
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,648
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
What did you guys expect from a season finale? The past 3 finales have all been the same-- setting up events for the next season.

This was a good episode.

Theon's sister going to the South, Gendry escaped, White Walkers are nearing, Jon is back in Castle Black, Arya finally killed someone, and Dany is building massively.

Also, I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to the return of Jamie and his missing hand.


This is sorta my feeling too. I actually think I liked this better than last years season finale. It crossed my mind that they could've actually squeezed another wedding in here, even though it would've required rushing some things, and even swapping around some sequences, but it was possible, and it woulda been nuts, but overall not rushing it was probably better.

I did think the Tywin/Tyrion stuff, with Joffrey was top shelf. Tyrion Cersei was good. Cersei seeing Jamie was good.

I thought the mutilated Robb stuff was handled quite well. Showing just enough for me to be mortified but not so much I didn't want to watch.

Roose/Walder was done well enough to set up direction.

And I liked the Arya getting her first kill sequence.

And I even think they kind of paid off the Theon stuff that I really didn't care for most of the year. I still feel like he could've been ommitted for the entire season, but at least it went somewhere. Revealing that the torturer was Roose's bastard just didn't work. I mean I've read the books, so it wasn't gonna be for me anyway, but I don't know anyone who didn't figure out who he was. I really feel like leaving him "dead" all season, only to reveal him in mutilated form later, would've been a better story telling mechanism.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #3468
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,646
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
This is what happens when your girlfriend is a ginger.




I don't know why people are so disappointed with this season. Just think of what we've seen:

Varys revealing part of his back story while exacting revenge (special delivery).
The Kingslayer losing his hand.
Brienne fighting a bear.
Samwell killing a white walker.
People climbing the fucking 700 ft. wall.
Bran warging. (okay that's a little boring, but it leads to some pretty cool shit)
Danerys kicking ass, and showing her nice little body as well.
The Starks getting slaughtered.

And that's only half of the 3rd book. I kind of wish they'd have gotten to Joffrey's wedding, but I'm cool with waiting till next season. My hope is that they condense the 4th book and concentrate more on Tyrion, Littlefinger, Arya, Danerys and Uncat.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #3469
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,205
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
cant be


spoilers

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...t/page__st__60

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5123103AAgsTeB
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #3470
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,205
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Funny you mention it, I've always looked at the show as a western fantasy version of Romance of Three Kingdoms.


the books started off as a fantasy re-imagining of the war of the roses

starks vs lannisters = yorks vs lancasters

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/visit-br...194645365.html
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #3471
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 7,018
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Very good ending! Not the Red Wedding exciting but good none the less.

In white my small tangent....
So it looks like all these wars between the Starks First Men, Baratheon Andals plus (Melisandre of Asshai fire gods), Targaryens is going to pale in comparison to whats coming back from the North.

So now the Starks, Wildlings, Others joins forces to fight the Baratheon Andals (Melisandre of Asshai fire gods), Lannisters.

Then this all out magic war between the Targaryens with Dragons duke it out with the Starks, Wildlings and Others for one epic battle?


Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3472
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece
 
ItsMillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naptown
Posts: 1,416
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
What did you guys expect from a season finale? The past 3 finales have all been the same-- setting up events for the next season.

This was a good episode.

Theon's sister going to the South, Gendry escaped, White Walkers are nearing, Jon is back in Castle Black, Arya finally killed someone, and Dany is building massively.

Also, I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to the return of Jamie and his missing hand.

Seriously.

Every season finale so far has setup the next season's plot lines. There were a lot of huge events that happened last night:

Jon and Sam are back at Castle Black
Bran made it past the Wall and is headed north to find the Three-Eyed Crow
Arya shanked the fvck out of some dude
Jamie and Brienne made it back to King's Landing, he's finally back to his sister after months/years
Yara Greyjoy is going to attack the Dreadfort and save Theon from the Bolton Bastard after seeing a Dick in A Box
Tywin and Joffrey really went at it for the first time over who has more power
Gendry escaped (this never happens in the book so his story line should be interesting)
Dany is slowly conquering that entire continent and amassing a HUGE army

And the biggest of all: Stannis, his army, Davos, and Melisandre are going to march to the Wall and assist the Night's Watch


You can't expect an event like the Red Wedding to happen every episode. Some spoiled whiners in here.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #3473
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,205
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lgHoEYtd4
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #3474
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 7,018
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #3475
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece
 
ItsMillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naptown
Posts: 1,416
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
[b]Very good ending! Not the Red Wedding exciting but good none the less.

In white my small tangent....

Ummm that is definitely not the alliances you are looking for. You're way off.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #3476
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller
 
Immortal Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 370
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Being near the end of the third book, i was certain they'd end with a couple other things, but really with only one episode there was no time for any of it. If next season is to pick up where they left off, the first half should be pretty exciting.

I wonder if they'll drag out next season to only cover the rest of a Storm of Swords, since they left out enough for that to be possible.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #3477
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,646
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3478
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 7,018
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
Ummm that is definitely not the alliances you are looking for. You're way off.
I know just having fun with it.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #3479
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,648
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
Seriously.

Every season finale so far has setup the next season's plot lines. There were a lot of huge events that happened last night:

Jon and Sam are back at Castle Black
Bran made it past the Wall and is headed north to find the Three-Eyed Crow
Arya shanked the fvck out of some dude
Jamie and Brienne made it back to King's Landing, he's finally back to his sister after months/years
Yara Greyjoy is going to attack the Dreadfort and save Theon from the Bolton Bastard after seeing a Dick in A Box
Tywin and Joffrey really went at it for the first time over who has more power
Gendry escaped (this never happens in the book so his story line should be interesting)Dany is slowly conquering that entire continent and amassing a HUGE army

And the biggest of all: Stannis, his army, Davos, and Melisandre are going to march to the Wall and assist the Night's Watch


You can't expect an event like the Red Wedding to happen every episode. Some spoiled whiners in here.


That part interests me. He's already an amalgam of two characters as it is, and now he's trudging off as what would essentially be a completely new character. I wouldn't be surprised if he just died.
I wonder how far off from the books they can get without affecting the later story line.
Like how screwed would they be if GRRM releases the next book and Jeyne Westerling gives birth to Robb Stark's son and he turns out to be Azor Ahai. They'd be screwed. I assume the show knows enough about what's happening moving forward to not really paint themselves in a corner.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #3480
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,646
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
That part interests me. He's already an amalgam of two characters as it is, and now he's trudging off as what would essentially be a completely new character. I wouldn't be surprised if he just died.
I wonder how far off from the books they can get without affecting the later story line.
Like how screwed would they be if GRRM releases the next book and Jeyne Westerling gives birth to Robb Stark's son and he turns out to be Azor Ahai. They'd be screwed. I assume the show knows enough about what's happening moving forward to not really paint themselves in a corner.


I've heard that GRRM is very close with the HBO production team, even to the point that he's supplied them with the basic plot line of the novels going forward just in case he dies before finishing them.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy