Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #4006
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
Except it's not, particularly when it comes to writing and acting. Maybe it's because The Wire didn't have the charisma of actors like Gandolfini and Imperioli, or the production, directing and writing quality of guys like David Chase, Terence Winter and Tim Van Patten, or the 5 Golden Globe wins. It did have two primetime emmy nominations though. A nice consolation for being unfortunate enough to air alongside an unfairly great, ground-breaking, mammoth of a series like The Sopranos.
Substance over style, friend.

The Wire is the most important, remarkable achievement in film history, as far as I'm concerned, be it movies, television... whatever. And, I absolutely love The Sopranos. It's really like comparing apples to oranges, because Sopranos was character-driven, whereas The Wire was plot-driven...

But, I believe The Wire should be required viewing for anyone who ever thought the War on Drugs was a good idea. It takes it apart, dissects it and destroys it on all fronts.

The Sopranos was a beautiful piece of art. It welcomed viewers in with easily accessible characters and anti-heros.

The Wire asks more of the viewer and it takes a larger investment to fall in love with it... But, the payoff is mind-blowing and leaves a lasting impression. It's no coincidence that The Wire is probably more popular now than it ever was when it was actually on television.

And, it will continue to gain popularity, because it is that great.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 04-10-2014 at 06:57 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #4007
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

No show has ever been better than the wire. And I loved the sopranos like everyone else. I rewatched the whole series over the winter with friends who missed it. Great show.

But it isnt the wire.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #4008
Raymone
The Chosen King

1. The Sopranos
2a. Breaking Bad
2b. The Wire

and that's being generous to the empty series void of any real atmosphere or memorable characters known as The Wire.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #4009
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
1. The Sopranos
2a. Breaking Bad
2b. The Wire

and that's being generous to the empty series void of any real atmosphere or memorable characters known as The Wire.
Obvious trolling is obvious.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #4010
Raymone
The Chosen King

Call it what you want. The Wire obviously wasn't a bad series, but it gets grossly overrated by too many people. Standing on boring realism and uninspired characters isn't enough to thrust the show into the same stratosphere as shows like The Sopranos. The Wire received perfectly appropriate recognition during the years it aired. Two primetime emmy nominations. A gracious nod for what it tried to be, but certainly not on the level of five golden globe wins for a show that truly revolutionized television with the anti-hero and directly influenced so many series since then.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #4011
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Golden globes? Really?

So when 24 and Nip Tuck beat out both the Sopranos and the Wire for best drama that matters to you?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #4012
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I was looking for a particulary good article I read once on the Wire being the best show of all time....but now I cant find it...because there are too many on the subject. Seems Entertainment Weekly(among others) named it #1 all ltime and the ensuing discussion make it impossible to find the old articles.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #4013
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

[quote=Graviton]Oz>The Wire dawg.

False.

The OZ started out good but got bad after a couple of seasons
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #4014
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Golden Globes.

You seriously just looked up the Golden Globes results to support your argument?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #4015
Raymone
The Chosen King

We seriously acting like the critical acclaim between the two shows is even comparable?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #4016
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

We really acting like greater popularity has ever meant something was better?

Grammy winning albums are critically acclaimed. Doesnt make them the best music.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #4017
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I was looking for a particulary good article I read once on the Wire being the best show of all time....but now I cant find it...because there are too many on the subject. Seems Entertainment Weekly(among others) named it #1 all ltime and the ensuing discussion make it impossible to find the old articles.
Could it have been the Telegraph article? They did a big "greatest ever" article when it premiered in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ever-made.html
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #4018
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

didn't this guy already admit he's only watched a few episodes? why bother trying to convince him lol

just so you kno what you're missing raymone: the wire is straight damning social commentary on whats wrong with the way your tax dollars are spent. its an expose on how the public sector has been perverted and compromised to the point that its making promises it can't keep and fighting battles it can't win... and everybody knows it except the folks making the promises and fighting the battles. and it demonstrates those facts with such poignancy and modern relevance, to the point it can actually tweak the way you see your every day, because it dissects institutions we not only live and breathe but also fund; the police force, the school system, city hall.

scenes like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZZdL1qhk8 (mostly the end) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

just don't happen anywhere else. that first scene is a city cop taking the exact same giant shit on a wildly corrupt defense attorney and a top notch angel of a public prosecutor, one right after the other. thats why it tops virtually every list imaginable. on top of the fact its extremely well written and well acted.

Last edited by RidonKs : 04-10-2014 at 06:08 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #4019
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Can you imagine if HBO managed to buy an entire commercial break during the superbowl to air the Paper Bag speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fV-_eiKxE

HBO would have had 40 million new customers the next morning.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #4020
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

hell buy the spot for a preseason game and i bet the president calls a national emergency. the lack of exposure of most ppl to these kinds of ideas is probably more pervasive than we can possibly imagine.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: