Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #4126
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Not sure if it has been posted, but this is pretty cool.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/watch...ects-reel.html
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #4127
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

I started watching Strikeback the other day and I'm on season 2 (1st season on Cinemax) and I noticed that both the actor who plays Davos and Jorah Mormont were on consecutive episodes. I wonder if they just needed something to do in between seasons of GoT. Just thought it was interesting to see them back to back.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #4128
KyleKong
OTC Heir Apparent

KyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
I started watching Strikeback the other day and I'm on season 2 (1st season on Cinemax) and I noticed that both the actor who plays Davos and Jorah Mormont were on consecutive episodes. I wonder if they just needed something to do in between seasons of GoT. Just thought it was interesting to see them back to back.

The actor who plays Davos was actually casted to play Jorah Mormont in Game of Thrones, but due to a filming issue with another project he had to pull out of Game of Thrones, the producers loved him so much they gave him the role of Davos for the second season.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #4129
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

They were also together in movie Harry Brown with Michael Caine. It's from 2009, but I watched it recently.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #4130
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Could a book reader confirm or deny this for me:

At beginning of the series
Strongest
House lannister (owns the gold mines and has the most money, able to finance and equip the second largest army and a good navy) Also they are the wardens of the west

House Tyrell (the Reach is the agricultural heart of Westeros, they feed the 7 kingdoms and have been able to accumulate money to become the second richest house. Because of the agricultural productivity they have the largest army, (they were able to spare 100,000 soldiers to give to renly) (they have a really good navy too right?) There only weakness is that the people of the reach tend to be somewhat soft, loras is considered a tough guy for this region. Also the head of this house is the warden of the south

House Arryn (Supposedly the east has the best knights and are great knightly tradition) The head of this house is the warden of the east

House Stark (seems pretty effective in combat, Ned's battles against Aerys and Balon, and robb's against the lannisters) the head of this house is the wardens of the north

House Baratheon (I am assuming they fall here because they were able to make Robert King)

House martell (Dorne resisted conquest from the targaryens longer than any other region right)

House greyjoy (they just seem like raiders, good fighters, but poorly organized and Numerically inferior) (great navy though)

House Tully (the riverlands arent even one of the 7 kingdoms right? they are some what under stark leadership?)
Weakest
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #4131
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Strongest
House lannister (owns the gold mines and has the most money, able to finance and equip the second largest army and a good navy) Also they are the wardens of the west

House Tyrell (the Reach is the agricultural heart of Westeros, they feed the 7 kingdoms and have been able to accumulate money to become the second richest house. Because of the agricultural productivity they have the largest army, (they were able to spare 100,000 soldiers to give to renly) (they have a really good navy too right?) There only weakness is that the people of the reach tend to be somewhat soft, loras is considered a tough guy for this region. Also the head of this house is the warden of the south

House Arryn (Supposedly the east has the best knights and are great knightly tradition) The head of this house is the warden of the east

House Stark (seems pretty effective in combat, Ned's battles against Aerys and Balon, and robb's against the lannisters) the head of this house is the wardens of the north

House Baratheon (I am assuming they fall here because they were able to make Robert King)

House martell (Dorne resisted conquest from the targaryens longer than any other region right)

House greyjoy (they just seem like raiders, good fighters, but poorly organized and Numerically inferior) (great navy though)

House Tully (the riverlands arent even one of the 7 kingdoms right? they are some what under stark leadership?)
Weakest

Pretty accurate but I wouldn't call the Reach soft, Samwell's pops is one of the best Generals/military minds.. I'd say the Reach likes to fancy it up a bit... into show and pageantry whereas the North is more dull in that sense.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #4132
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Strongest

Weakest

What would you like confirmed? The order or the general observations made about each house?
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #4133
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
What would you like confirmed? The order or the general observations made about each house?
Both, and correct what is mistaken, also add some. I have never read the books but got hooked on the show
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #4134
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Both, and correct what is mistaken, also add some. I have never read the books but got hooked on the show
Read them
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #4135
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Ah gotcha. Having never read the books you're pretty spot on in your assessments.

Quote:
Strongest

Richest house. I wouldn't say strongest for reasons I'll get into later. Definitely the most powerful because of their direct ties to the throne.

Quote:

Pretty much spot on. They do have the largest army, but they're mostly young unseasoned fighters. As Catelyn calls them "The knights of summer". They aren't soft by any means, but they aren't quite as respected as the other houses because they were stewards put into power by the Targaryeans.

Quote:

Weakest

I put these 3 together because they're more like a package deal. Any combat one of them get into the others will have to join because of the marriage and family ties. So I wouldn't consider the Tullys weak. Little known fact is that Robb's army would have wiped the floor with Tywins if it wasn't for an unfortunate series of events.

Quote:

We never truly get the details of the numbers of House Baratheon, but they were a force to be reckoned with considering they took down the Targaryeans. I'd probably place their strength somewhere around the Vale.

Quote:
House martell (Dorne resisted conquest from
the targaryens longer than any other region right)

I'm not going to get into specifics but yeah you pretty much have the gist of it.

Quote:

I'd say Greyjoy is the weakest just in terms of man power and tactical disadvantage. Their real advantage is only at the sea.
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #4136
Suguru101
Mad Men, Thrones.

Suguru101 has decent reputation

So i first read the books in 2012. Read all of them straight and found them awesome... but there were some pov's i just honestly skipped. Like Davos, Reek, and the Dornish characters.

Everything else was amazing, especially Bran, Dany, Jon and Cersei.

Then i started watching the show... and i like it even better than the books. All the characters fit together more as a cast, and things just flow nicer.

I actually like Davos and Melisandre/Stannis now, and i love House Lannister. I also have no doubt that i will enjoy the Dornish storyline/characters through the show.

Has this happened to anyone here?

I'm not saying the show is better, it's just that things flow better, and of course, it's always an advantage to see the characters instead of reading(unless it's Harry Potter).
Suguru101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #4137
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Strongest

Weakest

The only thing I'd say is that you ask if House Tyrell has a good navy, and it does by comparison to most other houses which have none, but it's not anywhere near a navy the way the Greyjoys are. And it's not near the navy that Stannis had prior to the Blackfyre, or probably the Lannisters, or certainly not The Lannisters if your counting the royal navy as theirs.

The Tyrell's are adept in the water because their region is river heavy, and even in the show they mention their fondness of "pleasure boats". But they're not in a position to hold off a Greyjoy attack even within their own rivers, let alone in the open sea.

Also, House Stark is a little tough to rank, as you have them, as the north is really something of a different animal than the rest of the seven kindoms. In fact Dorne is a little like that too, in that their kindom is uniquely harsh.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #4138
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suguru101
So i first read the books in 2012. Read all of them straight and found them awesome... but there were some pov's i just honestly skipped. Like Davos, Reek, and the Dornish characters.

Then i started watching the show... and i like it even better than the books. All the characters fit together more as a cast, and things just flow nicer.

I actually like Davos and Melisandre/Stannis now, and i love House Lannister. I also have no doubt that i will enjoy the Dornish storyline/characters through the show.

I'm not saying the show is better, it's just that things flow better, and of course, it's always an advantage to see the characters instead of reading(unless it's Harry Potter).

Really... you can't skip any of those POVs... they may take a while but all of them pay off.

It's funny though.. Stannis is one of those people that you say.. when did he become your favorite AGoT character.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #4139
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suguru101

My experience was sort of similar. I didn't start reading until after seeing season one, but after that, I chewed through the entire series. I was able to get going incredibly well in part because I already had an image in my head for so many of the characters, and once I was in I couldn't stop. Although I didn't skip any characters like you said. And actually read pretty voraciously, including supplemental content I could find online, and just about anything I could get my hands on for a while. And I love all the extra detail and history the book adds that the show just can't expand on.
However, I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying about "preferring" the show. While I certainly don't prefer the show, I have to admit there are elements of the show that I really love the interpretation on. Particularly the Lannisters. All three actors who play the Lannister children are spectacular. And I find Cersei more likeable on the show than the books, more sympathetic. And Tywin for example is really blown out as a character in the show just by the performance of Charles Dance. There are things about the show that are just great touches that in a way even surpass the books. And they're great supplements to each other.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #4140
Suguru101
Mad Men, Thrones.

Suguru101 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Really... you can't skip any of those POVs... they may take a while but all of them pay off.

It's funny though.. Stannis is one of those people that you say.. when did he become your favorite AGoT character.

Yeah, i shouldn't have, but i guess the first time around i wasn't as invested in the minor characters as i am now.

And when did i start liking Stannis? After he put Davos in jail.

What did you think of the Red Trio while reading the books?

P.s: red trio=Stannis, Melisandre, Davos.
Suguru101 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: