Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #4486
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I was looking for a particulary good article I read once on the Wire being the best show of all time....but now I cant find it...because there are too many on the subject. Seems Entertainment Weekly(among others) named it #1 all ltime and the ensuing discussion make it impossible to find the old articles.
Could it have been the Telegraph article? They did a big "greatest ever" article when it premiered in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ever-made.html
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #4487
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

didn't this guy already admit he's only watched a few episodes? why bother trying to convince him lol

just so you kno what you're missing raymone: the wire is straight damning social commentary on whats wrong with the way your tax dollars are spent. its an expose on how the public sector has been perverted and compromised to the point that its making promises it can't keep and fighting battles it can't win... and everybody knows it except the folks making the promises and fighting the battles. and it demonstrates those facts with such poignancy and modern relevance, to the point it can actually tweak the way you see your every day, because it dissects institutions we not only live and breathe but also fund; the police force, the school system, city hall.

scenes like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZZdL1qhk8 (mostly the end) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

just don't happen anywhere else. that first scene is a city cop taking the exact same giant shit on a wildly corrupt defense attorney and a top notch angel of a public prosecutor, one right after the other. thats why it tops virtually every list imaginable. on top of the fact its extremely well written and well acted.

Last edited by RidonKs : 04-10-2014 at 06:08 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #4488
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can you imagine if HBO managed to buy an entire commercial break during the superbowl to air the Paper Bag speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fV-_eiKxE

HBO would have had 40 million new customers the next morning.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #4489
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

hell buy the spot for a preseason game and i bet the president calls a national emergency. the lack of exposure of most ppl to these kinds of ideas is probably more pervasive than we can possibly imagine.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #4490
Raymone
The Chosen King

Raymone has an OK reputation so far

Another item to add to the list of qualities that are insufficient to raise The Wire from good to great: underlying political and social messages. Who cares. It's supposed to be a TV show, not a documentary. If it doesn't add to the show's overall entertainment value or make it any more compelling to watch, then it's a non-factor.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #4491
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
didn't this guy already admit he's only watched a few episodes? why bother trying to convince him lol

just so you kno what you're missing raymone: the wire is straight damning social commentary on whats wrong with the way your tax dollars are spent. its an expose on how the public sector has been perverted and compromised to the point that its making promises it can't keep and fighting battles it can't win... and everybody knows it except the folks making the promises and fighting the battles. and it demonstrates those facts with such poignancy and modern relevance, to the point it can actually tweak the way you see your every day, because it dissects institutions we not only live and breathe but also fund; the police force, the school system, city hall.

scenes like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZZdL1qhk8 (mostly the end) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

just don't happen anywhere else. that first scene is a city cop taking the exact same giant shit on a wildly corrupt defense attorney and a top notch angel of a public prosecutor, one right after the other. thats why it tops virtually every list imaginable. on top of the fact its extremely well written and well acted.

Quote:
Can you imagine if HBO managed to buy an entire commercial break during the superbowl to air the Paper Bag speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fV-_eiKxE

HBO would have had 40 million new customers the next morning.

Amen.

While completely dissecting and destroying the fictitious "War on Drugs," which I would say is the show's primary subject, it also manages to hit other extremely important topics, like the illusion of border control, the ridiculousness and destructiveness of one size fits all school testing, the decline of print media and how that has destroyed competent, in-depth reporting, etc.

There is no way to overplay the brilliance of David Simon and the show's writers/producers/actors that they were able to tackle these extremely layered societal ills and present them in such an entertaining way, while not losing a bit of realism.

I love The Sopranos... recently just re-watched the whole series, which I do routinely every couple years.

But, the difference between The Sopranos and The Wire is like the difference between appreciating a beautiful painting of a fictitious scene from the past and actually visiting a slum and investigating how it got that way... the difference between art appreciation and investigative journalism.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #4492
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
Another item to add to the list of qualities that are insufficient to raise The Wire from good to great: underlying political and social messages. Who cares. It's supposed to be a TV show, not a documentary. If it doesn't add to the show's overall entertainment value or make it any more compelling to watch, then it's a non-factor.
The brilliance is in the creator's ability to entertain you and pull you into the story while also informing you about social ills... whether you even realize it or not.

But, by all means, if this is how you feel... don't watch the series. I've never been one to push someone to inform/entertain themselves.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #4493
Raymone
The Chosen King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
But, the difference between The Sopranos and The Wire is like the difference between appreciating a beautiful painting of a fictitious scene from the past and actually visiting a slum and investigating how it got that way... the difference between art appreciation and investigative journalism.

And only one a brilliant drama series makes.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #4494
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone

I bet the creators of the Sopranos would wish for better fans of their own product if they read some garbage like that.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #4495
Raymone
The Chosen King

Quote:
I bet the creators of the Sopranos would wish for better fans of their own product if they read some garbage like that.

And I bet if they were tasked with creating a drama series that insisted on delivering some social commentary with the goal of "changing the way you view your daily life" and public institutions, they could so in an entertaining manner and still create a captivating universe and storyline and characters like The wire largely failed to do.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #4496
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How is The Wire not captivating and entertaining? It's the epitome of authentic life drama. It creates a society with real people going through real issues. Every single season of The Wire you have ending episodes that hold real gut punches when shit hits the fan. It created iconic characters, delivered mature storylines and dialog, all while entertaining with witty quotes and surprising developments. I guess the issue lies in the fact that the show doesn't insult people's intelligence. They reward it with complex material.... And unfortunately it seems that not all who view it can grasp it's value.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #4497
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How fitting, came here to post an article about how GOT's season premiere got the highest ratings for HBO since the Sopranos finale and people are in here arguing about the latter and the Wire.

Anyway for anyone interested- http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstj...pranos-finale/

GOT had 6.6 mil viewers, the Sopranos finale had 11.9 million

That prompted HBO to immediately renew GOT for 2 more seasons.

On topic...err sort of... I've seen every episode of both the Wire and the Sopranos and I think both are at the top in terms of dramas all time. I prefer the Sopranos though. Didn't care for Season 2 of the Wire and Season 5 pissed me off. But Season 4 of that show is as good as TV gets. I do think the writing on the Wire tends to get overrated a bit IMO. People mistake quantity as automatically being higher quality sometimes.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #4498
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quantity? Im not sure how that even applies. You saying the wire had a lot of writing as opposed to the sopranos?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #4499
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

You know the show Talking Dead where people just...talk about the previous Walking Dead episode?

That shit had 7.3 million viewers one night. Not related to anything...just saying.

Walking Dead is a monster. Its post show interviews get better ratings than some of the biggest shows on tv.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #4500
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
You know the show Talking Dead where people just...talk about the previous Walking Dead episode?

That shit had 7.3 million viewers one night. Not related to anything...just saying.

Walking Dead is a monster. Its post show interviews get better ratings than some of the biggest shows on tv.
That is just obscene. I smh everytime I read someone on the Internet proclaim TWD as the best show on television.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: