Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #4951
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputation
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
Cannot understand why they made Jamie a rapist
Supposedly the show runners didnt think they were depicting rape.
They thought they were showing cersei resisting at first, but consenting by the end.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #4952
JohnFreeman
Bye

JohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnFreeman is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No such thing as rape, women were put on this earth for mens fun.
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #4953
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY is starting to rub some people the wrong waySTATUTORY is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Supposedly the show runners didnt think they were depicting rape.
They thought they were showing cersei resisting at first, but consenting by the end.
completely ruins Jamie's redemption arc for show watchers, fundamentally changes readers and tv audiences understanding of the character
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #4954
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
There are 2 types of undead zombies (well actually we dont really know what a white walker is)

Jon killed a wight. A wight is a human that died, and came back to life. it is speculated that they are created by and controlled by white walkers.

Wights and white walkers differ in several ways.

Wights are confirmed to be superhumanly strong and resistant against damage. Eg. Arrows and stabbings have little if any affect on them. You m. M. M. Phave to either hack them into little pieces or burn them.

The are rather clumsy and slow, but once again they are super strong.

white walkers are described as agile. When sam swung his steel sword at the white walker it shattered on impact with the white walker. Indicating that they are even more durable than wights who can be cut, even though it doesn't hurt them much.

Although I dont think we have seen it displayed, since white walkers lead the wights I would assume they are at least as physically strong.

White walkers dont fear fire, and can only be killed in one way that is confirmed, Eg. Dragonglass (obsidian in real life). Some characters speculate about a second way.

both white walkers and wights havent been seen in about 8000 years before the time of the show 99.99% of people dismiss them as pure legends and myths. The legend is that the night's watch and the wall were created to combat them, and "protect the realms of men". Most people, like tywin, think the purpose of the night's watch is to defend against wildlings and dismiss white walkers and wights as fiction.

To contrast most people believe in dragons as the last dragon died a little over a hundred years ago.
Thanks!
The tv producers should have done a different colored eyes to distinguish them as I doubt they will go in detail enough about them.

Funny how Jon Snow and Bran seem in way more trouble than their dead family members ever were. Jon and the Night watch crew are literally the whole food chain. The Theens must have fantasies about Sam.
Pointguard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #4955
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

I'm not following. Are you guys saying white walkers are the same thing as the others? I've read online that the others haven't appeared in the series yet but will in the next two books.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #4956
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
completely ruins Jamie's redemption arc for show watchers, fundamentally changes readers and tv audiences understanding of the character
I thought it was fairly obvious that Cersei gave in and willingly had sex with him. I'm not all that familiar with the intricacies of rape etiquette and tendencies, but I'm doubt that most women victims french kiss their attackers in mid-rape.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #4957
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY is starting to rub some people the wrong waySTATUTORY is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I thought it was fairly obvious that Cersei gave in and willingly had sex with him. I'm not all that familiar with the intricacies of rape etiquette and tendencies, but I'm doubt that most women victims french kiss their attackers in mid-rape.
so you just gonna act oblivious to the actual controversy over the scene that has occurred?

rape is a very sensitive subject, any scene depicting a woman verbally saying no while the man continues to assert himself will arouse passion because by letter of what we teach our kids it fits rape.

I'm not saying I agree, but it is a real issue and something the showrunners shouldnt' have overlooked

I'm a Jamie fan, don't like how this portrayal of his character because he's specifically acted against rape several times in the book.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #4958
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
I'm not following. Are you guys saying white walkers are the same thing as the others? I've read online that the others haven't appeared in the series yet but will in the next two books.
yes

In the book they are called the others but in the show they changed it to whitewalkers
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #4959
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
yes

In the book they are called the others but in the show they changed it to whitewalkers
whites sp? are different tho
Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #4960
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
whites sp? are different tho
wights

yes they are just dead people the whitewalkers resurrected to zombie mode.I think someone already made a post about the difference a couple of pages back.

edit-its just one page back
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #4961
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
so you just gonna act oblivious to the actual controversy over the scene that has occurred?

rape is a very sensitive subject, any scene depicting a woman verbally saying no while the man continues to assert himself will arouse passion because by letter of what we teach our kids it fits rape.

I'm not saying I agree, but it is a real issue and something the showrunners shouldnt' have overlooked

I'm a Jamie fan, don't like how this portrayal of his character because he's specifically acted against rape several times in the book.
when a creative mind pays too close attention to an expected reaction, the art suffers. jaime "raping" cersei was absolutely not outside the breadth of his character. because it was his one and true love since he was 15 years old and he understood the consequences. that's the important thing. so bearing that in mind, it absolutely did not ruin jaime's character. if it ruined it in the minds of a bunch of people who take art too seriously and refuse to see it in its own context, that's their fault.

seriously, how terrible would tv or movies be if writers consistently asked themselves, are we keeping our audience happy? well we know how terrible it would be. take a long look at the history of network television.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #4962
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
when a creative mind pays too close attention to an expected reaction, the art suffers. jaime "raping" cersei was absolutely not outside the breadth of his character. because it was his one and true love since he was 15 years old and he understood the consequences. that's the important thing. so bearing that in mind, it absolutely did not ruin jaime's character. if it ruined it in the minds of a bunch of people who take art too seriously and refuse to see it in its own context, that's their fault.

seriously, how terrible would tv or movies be if writers consistently asked themselves, are we keeping our audience happy? well we know how terrible it would be. take a long look at the history of network television.

it was out of character, in the book it was a moment of passion between lovers who havent seen each other in long time. in the show jaime's genuinely angry with cersei and uses his ***** to mediate that anger. the context of the sex was different.

jaime is repeatedly shown to be against rape in the book, he's capable of doing shit things but rape is not one of them.

cersei is also portrayed differently on the show to be more sympathetic. She lacks the agency of the cersei in the books where she's power hungry with no qualifications. in the show her treatment is much more misunderstood woman type.

Last edited by STATUTORY : 04-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #4963
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher has a terrific reputationTrollsmasher has a terrific reputationTrollsmasher has a terrific reputationTrollsmasher has a terrific reputationTrollsmasher has a terrific reputation

if there was ever anything Jaime stood against, it is a violence against women
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #4964
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Keep in mind that is what some characters of that religion believe the roots to be. We have no confirmation of the truth.

The universe of ASOIAF has several main religions.

The seven - is believed in all of westeros (except the north) and some pockets in the east.

The horse god - believed by the dothraki

the red god/god of light - the red priestess (melisandra)'s religion. Also the guy thoros of myr's religion (the guy that raised beric dondarrion from the grave).

The old gods (the religion with the godswood, the trees) - believed in the north and beyond the wall.

Easteros has a bunch of religions.
I decided to post my reply in the thread dedicated to novels. Tell me what you think.

Last edited by dunksby : 04-24-2014 at 06:07 AM.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #4965
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Really simple explanation of people and things north of the Wall if people are still confused:

Wildlings - Any human being that lives north of the Wall. "Southerners" call them Wildlings, while they like to refer to themselves as the Free Folk. Mance Rayder is leading an army of them to the Wall (Thenns are also Wildlings)

White Walkers/Others - Creatures that are believed to have been dead for thousands of years, but have recently returned. They can only be killed with Dragonglass and Sam is the only known human alive that has killed one.

Wights - Dead human beings/zombies (that include Wildlings and the Night's Watch alike) that have been raised by the White Walkers. The White Walkers control them. An army of wights is (slowly) marching south. This is the reason Mance Rayder is also marching south, he's aware of this army and wants to get the f*ck out of there before Winter officially comes.

A lot of W's.. makes it confusing.

Last edited by ItsMillerTime : 04-24-2014 at 01:16 PM.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: