Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #5101
Le Shaqtus
Go Pack Go

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I love when people try and go against the grain just for the sake of it, the show is good and there's nothing bad about it. If it's not you're kind of show that's one thing but it's popular for a reason.
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #5102
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Legend
Perhaps you are referring to Alliser Thorne, Janos Slynt is the bald guy.

I know who Janos Slynt is...I have also read the books.

He betrayed Ned Stark

"I will not have my honor questioned by an Imp"

" Bastard, son of a Bastard...how can a bastard tlak like this to me"

Basically, this fking guy got sent to the wall by Tyrion ( which was fking awesome) and all of a sudden he sits and dines there with other high commanders at the Wall. Who the fk is he?

Anyway, like somebody above said, he has a really cool scene in book 5.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #5103
riseagainst
LeGOAT

Wow.. the macho man is really ignorant. You can tell he's the typical U.S. white boy.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #5104
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Much, much better episode than last week. Sh*t's about to go down in 2 weeks.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #5105
EnoughSaid
Gooner | Heat Nation

Amazing episode this week. The acting has been so spot on this season.

I just have one quick question for you book readers. How many more seasons until Dany gets to Westeros? Is she ever going to? I'm just wondering.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #5106
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
Amazing episode this week. The acting has been so spot on this season.

I just have one quick question for you book readers. How many more seasons until Dany gets to Westeros? Is she ever going to? I'm just wondering.

Spoilers in white

Next season she will still not end up there or even close to Westeros
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #5107
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

The Oberyn-Tyrion scene in the dungeon was maybe my favourite of the season so far. It was a true "Fuck yeah!" moment. Even more than Lysa flying.

The character is not at all how I pictured him reading the books but overall, they nailed the essence of the character as best as they could. It turned out to be a great casting choice. I just wish they made it more clear how great of a fighter Oberyn is going into this battle.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #5108
Droid101
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
popular =/= quality

Just saying.
True.

But in the case of Game of Thrones, it is popular and incredibly high quality.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #5109
Droid101
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I just wish they made it more clear how great of a fighter Oberyn is going into this battle.
I wish they would have done that with a lot of characters. We never see Jamie fight before his 'accident' as far as I can remember. The two second scuffle with Eddard notwithstanding.

They don't show Barristan fight really, or Ser FriendZone (except for like, two seconds). Did Robb Stark ever even face an enemy on camera?

I don't know. I think they could definitely do a better job of showing some of these guys who are supposed to be the best in the land... being the best in the land.

Minor quibble.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #5110
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
I wish they would have done that with a lot of characters. We never see Jamie fight before his 'accident' as far as I can remember. The two second scuffle with Eddard notwithstanding.

They don't show Barristan fight really, or Ser FriendZone (except for like, two seconds). Did Robb Stark ever even face an enemy on camera?

I don't know. I think they could definitely do a better job of showing some of these guys who are supposed to be the best in the land... being the best in the land.

Minor quibble.

It would take a lot of money and time to combat train all the actors to a standard that would do the books justice.

I'd say it's not because of them not wanting to just not feasible on the time that they have. They're already filming scenes for season 6 as we write this.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #5111
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Jorah fights more on the show than in the books. They never even mentioned him fighting like they did when he Dario, and Grey worm took yunkai. He commanded more than he fought.

Jaime fights more on the show than in the books. He didnt even fight Ned in the books and every other fight from the books in on the show.

Ser Barriston I dont believe draws a sword until book 5 though he had a couple fight with a staff.

Robb never fights in the books. Just talk about the aftermath.

The books are violent without much swordfighting.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #5112
Micku
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The Oberyn-Tyrion scene in the dungeon was maybe my favourite of the season so far. It was a true "Fuck yeah!" moment. Even more than Lysa flying.

The character is not at all how I pictured him reading the books but overall, they nailed the essence of the character as best as they could. It turned out to be a great casting choice. I just wish they made it more clear how great of a fighter Oberyn is going into this battle.

Yeah. I agree. I feel like they done a very solid job at hyping up The Mountain.

The Oberyn-Tyrion scene was great. Tyrion's reaction just sold the "Fuck yeah!" moment. This season has been my favorite of the series so far. The acting and events are great.

Still on Storm of Swords, book 3, right? Just shows how crazy and awesome that book is. Even though the show added some elements from other books of the series and added their own thing. Some of the things that that they change are good, some are meh. But that's aside the point.

This past episode was awesome.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #5113
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I think they've made it pretty clear what a badass Oberyn is and I'm not sure how they could have feasibly shown him at his best without completely sidetracking the many narratives they already have in progress. I mean, I guess they could have gone a little further with the whole altercation in the brothel during his initial introduction on the show, but then they also couldn't make the guy that he manhandled too good/important either, or he would have faced some sort of punishment since he put a sword through the guy's hand for basically no reason.

The actor was so wonderfully chosen, he has an aura about him that just says "badass" without him really having to show it... yet. You don't have that kind of swag if you're just some decent knight. The guy basically strolled into King's Landing openly declaring war on the Lannisters and, not only does no one dare to challenge him, they've actually been catering to him. That's a badass. I don't care who his family is or what rank he holds... His brazen disdain for the ruling family likely would not be tolerated if he wasn't such a legendary fighter.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #5114
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Pretty sure Ned and Jaime do fight in the books. Other than that, agreed.
I don't think they did.

Great scenes in the prison with Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn. Tyrion's reaction at the end of scene with Oberyn was great.
Littlefinger is such a boss
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #5115
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
popular =/= quality

Just saying.
that is true, but in this case the show has both
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote