Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #631
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I have about 150 pages left in book 2. It's been a great read. There was a actually a moment I got a little choked up.

Season two will really star Cersei and Tyrion, along with Varys. The larger introduction of Robert's two brothers. And Theon's storyline is awesome and comes out of nowhere.

How much time has been spent yet how little has happened with the ranging north of the wall seeing as I've read almost a thousand pages is a little odd. Same with Dany's progress. And with Robb's war with the Lannisters. There's stuff going on, and it's plenty interesting. But it's not going to translate to TV very well unless they really accelerate those parts of the stories, which I fully expect them to do. I can feel the book heading to another cliffhanger ending.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #632
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I have about 150 pages left in book 2. It's been a great read. There was a actually a moment I got a little choked up.

Season two will really star Cersei and Tyrion, along with Varys. The larger introduction of Robert's two brothers. And Theon's storyline is awesome and comes out of nowhere.

How much time has been spent yet how little has happened with the ranging north of the wall seeing as I've read almost a thousand pages is a little odd. Same with Dany's progress. And with Robb's war with the Lannisters. There's stuff going on, and it's plenty interesting. But it's not going to translate to TV very well unless they really accelerate those parts of the stories, which I fully expect them to do. I can feel the book heading to another cliffhanger ending.
You are going to love sams chapters in book 3. Pretty much what everyone has been waiting for since the prologue in book 1 finally happens
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #633
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Which was weird to me at the time because he says to Arya that he was basically fired, but when you first met him, the Blacksmith says to Ned how good the apprentice is, and the boy showed Ned that helmet.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #634
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I was reading basically this thread on the Rogan Board, and I didn't realize the kid at the end of Arya's scene was King Roberts bastard son (The Blacksmith Apprentice) .

I meant to point that out in here because it's sort of important. They kind of give it away because of his Bull Horned helm that he's lugging around. But I'm guessing they'd like to reveal it in a semi-surprising way. In the book they out and out say it's him right up front, but if you pay attention you can figure it out, and then finally he gives his real name as Gendry, which I know is supposed be a sort of shocking reveal to the reader, but it does require a recall from about 1000 pages earlier.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #635
ctown4eva
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Which was weird to me at the time because he says to Arya that he was basically fired, but when you first met him, the Blacksmith says to Ned how good the apprentice is, and the boy showed Ned that helmet.

The queen will be hunting him down and killing him if he stays in KL, just like the rest of Robert's bastards. That's why he's been sent off.
ctown4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #636
ctown4eva
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Yeah, I don't remember the name of the Stark, but they mention him in the tombs. He's Brandon the Kneeler or something to that effect. He's the guy who swore Fealty to the Tararyens and aligned Winterfell and it's liege's to the seven kingdoms. The point LittleJon is making is that with the Dragons no longer in power, why should they stand by that old agreement.

It could be taken literally, too. Aegon used dragons to unite/conquer the 7 Kingdoms 300 years prior, so Greatjon Umber could be saying that they feared the dragons but they are no more (dragons have been extinct for 300 years).

Minute detail, either way.
ctown4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #637
Thorpesaurous

I finished book two last night. I'll start three tonight. That's something like 1700 pages of fantasy literature in three to four weeks. That's very abnormal for me.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #638
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
I finished book two last night. I'll start three tonight. That's something like 1700 pages of fantasy literature in three to four weeks. That's very abnormal for me.
All hell breaks loose in book 3
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #639
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
All hell breaks loose in book 3

I felt like all hell broke loose the end of book two. The feeling of no one being safe is sort of replaced of nothing being safe. And I'll get a sense that a character is being built up for an eventual conflict, and then it'll come in a much different manner than I expected, and while I enjoy the surprise, I feel a bit like I've been cheated.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #640
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I felt like all hell broke loose the end of book two. The feeling of no one being safe is sort of replaced of nothing being safe. And I'll get a sense that a character is being built up for an eventual conflict, and then it'll come in a much different manner than I expected, and while I enjoy the surprise, I feel a bit like I've been cheated.

this is why i don't even want to get into reading the books. i feel like i'm going to get real frustrated with how they switch up characters you're following. i can tolerate it with the show since its so well done and better than most other HBO series or shows on TV in general, but i'm not the type that likes main characters being killed off, or jumps from different perspectives a whole lot.

altho i do want to see more fantasy than the show offers, which i guess the books probably do better than the show at.

still torn since S2 is so far away...
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #641
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Book 3 is my favorite so far. Some characters really come into their own
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #642
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Well gotta give props when they are due. And after season 1 they are due. Rezznor is on to something. This series could rival TheWire as far as interests goes. If not for this thread I doubt I would have given Game of Thrones much attention. Glad I did.

Good lookin out rezznor
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #643
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

I'm still in the early stages of book 2. I'm about to start Danaerys' first chapter. Everything has been moving a little slow and by far the most interesting part has been Tyrions time at Kings Landing.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #644
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
This definitely has the one more chapter or one more mission feeling that I get when I am doing something I like.

Question, do we ever find out how the butcher's boy died? If it's a spoiler thing please just pm me. I don't think it is but I never saw it mentioned in the show that he died.

It's mentioned in the show. The hound kills him. As Ned is going to meet with Robert after they find Arya, just before he kills The Direwolf, he walks past The Hound with a mass over the back of his horse. Ned says "The Butcher's Boy?", and The Hound says "He Ran ... not very fast."

It's also described in the book, in a bit more detail. But the exchange between Ned and The Hound, and the "... not very fast." line, come direct from the text.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #645
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I'm still in the early stages of book 2. I'm about to start Danaerys' first chapter. Everything has been moving a little slow and by far the most interesting part has been Tyrions time at Kings Landing.

That will continue to be the case for the most part. I kept waiting for more progress to be made from Dany, Robb and Catelyn chapters.

But Tyrion and Cersei, and just Kings Landing in general is awesome in book two. As is Theon after the first 100 pages or so. And Arya, right up until the last 100 pages or so, when she sort of stalls in Harrenhal.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: