Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #781
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I was starting to hate getting up to Danearys chapters because of how boring they have been so far in book 3, but this last chapter I just read was intense.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #782
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I was starting to hate getting up to Danearys chapters because of how boring they have been so far in book 3, but this last chapter I just read was intense.

I just finished a Dany Chapter:

She just bought an army of the Unsullied Eunachs. She gets more interesting once Jorah smacks the kiss on her. And her crew is getting more interesting.

I feel like a lot of book two is going to be skimmed over, and some of book three will be crammed into the second season. Particularly (totally spoilers):

The Dany story of her wandering through the red waste is something I can totally see being shortened severely on TV. And parallelly, season one ended with the Dark Watch leaving castle black, but that goes probably 5 chapters long, maybe a hundred pages, before they even reach Craster. That too I could see being trimmed severely. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they reach Craster by episode two of the second season. And all the time they spend on the Fist could be trimmed as well. Book two has a very distinct ending that I'm sure will hold for season two. The chain and the pyromancers flames I'm sure will conclude the story for King's Landing. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dany and Jon's stories get pressed well into book three to conclude season two. Jon maybe right up to the point of joining Mance Raider after killing the halfhand. Or maybe as far as assault on the Fist by the White Walkers.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #783
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I just finished a Dany Chapter:

I feel like a lot of book two is going to be skimmed over, and some of book three will be crammed into the second season. Particularly (totally spoilers):

Well judging by your post I'm a little ahead of you. I read that Dany chapter you read today. That chapter kicked ass

As far as the trimming goes I have to agree with you. There is alot of unneccessary travel that needs to be cut down. For example,

Bran's story needs to be cut down alot. 90% of the time hes either dreaming or traveling with the Reeds. All they need to show is a short scene of him adjusting to being a prince, the scene with Theon in his room, him escaping and his fake death and then escaping with the Reeds. Also the whole warg thing needs to be thrown in but all of his wolf dreams and traveling through mountains shouldnt be shown. I don't even want to begin to think what they are going to do what Arya's story. At this point shes been escaped and caught so many damn times I'm actually starting to get annoyed with her chapters. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #784
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Well judging by your post I'm a little ahead of you. I read that Dany chapter you read today. That chapter kicked ass

As far as the trimming goes I have to agree with you. There is alot of unneccessary travel that needs to be cut down. For example,

giggidy
yeah those arya chapters remind me of jack bauers daughter from 24. bitch keeps getting caught! to be fair, it's usually not her fault though.

there is a purpose to all that though, keep in mind she keeps having to change her identity and it's something that defines her later
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #785
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor

What, is she going to turn out like Jaqen?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #786
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
What
major arya spoiler in white

she eventually ends up in braavos and starts training to become a faceless man. can't wait to read the next book arya is gonna be bad ass

from wiki: Faceless Men
The Guild of the Faceless Men is a religious society of assassins who worship the Many-Faced God, a god of death.

Religion

The Guild originated in the volcanic slave mines of Valyria. Their founder came to believe that Valyria's diverse slave population all prayed to the same god of death in many different incarnations. The Guild believes that the death gods of all religions are faces of a single, Many-Faced God. In the Guild's House of Black and White, followers wear black and white robes and perform religious duties for the community, such as tending to the dead. The House contains a public shrine with idols of many death gods, including the Stranger of the Seven, but there are no formal services. Some visiting worshipers drink from a black cup that provides a painless death. A phrase associated with the cult of the Many-Faced God is "valar morghulis," translated from Valyrian as "all men must die"; a response to this is "valar dohaeris, or "all men must serve."

Assassinations

Followers of Him of Many Faces consider death to be a merciful end to suffering. For a price, the Guild will agree to kill anyone in the world, considering this contract killing to be a sacrament of their god. An elite group of followers within the Guild, called the Faceless Men, are trained to perform this task. Despite their name, Faceless Men are occasionally women. They possess magical abilities that allow them to change their appearance at will. Part of their training includes discarding their true identity and thinking of themselves as "no one". They use a variety of methods to kill their targets, including a poison called "the strangler".[1] The cost of their services depends on the prominence and security of the target. It was thought that if the Seven Kingdoms were to hire a Faceless Man for Daenerys Targaryen, it would cost as much as the hiring of an army.

Faceless Men identities

A Kindly Man seems to have some position of authority in the Guild, as he is the one who takes charge of Arya Stark's training. A Waif works in the House of Black and White handling poisons. Though she is 36 years old, she has a shrunken and childlike appearance brought about by exposure to poisons. Several more Faceless Men are seen by Arya at the House of Black and White. She describes them as "fat fellow," "stern face," "handsome face," "squinter," "lordling", and "starved man." A Faceless Man passing himself off as a Lorathi criminal named Jaqen H'ghar became a recruit of the Night's Watch, then joined the Brave Companions before changing his identity. A man calling himself the Alchemist poisoned Novice Pate and presumably took his place at the Citadel. It is difficult to determine whether any of these identities are used by the same Faceless Man.

Last edited by rezznor : 07-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #787
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's absurd how little I paid attention when I watched the show. I'm re-watching the whole series now and realized I missed entire scenes.

And when you're watching you notice the huge liberties they take. Only two small things have bothered me so far, one: there's a heavy portion of dreams that are described in the book, and they're very interesting to me, yet so far there has been almost none of that in the show. It's a very small aspect and you kind of know they're doing that to save time and cram as much into one episode as they can. I mean each episode is like 100 pages of the book, so whatever.

The other thing is more specific: the way they portray Jon in the show compared to in the book. The exchange between him and Ser Alliser Thorne in the kitchen while Thorne is bad-mouthing Ned about his "treason" was much more violent in the book than the show and the book shows how strong Jon is at such a young age. The scene in the show is just...I don't know, kind of pathetic.

Also, in the book Jon battles the undead guy mostly in the dark while the show It's in front of a fire. Again, the book shows how skilled and strong he is at such a young age and the show is holding back. I don't understand that at all.

Very minor details that don't really matter. I'm probably the only one who was even slightly bothered by it.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #788
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

After what I just read in book 3....words cant even describe how I feel.

This book is the best one by far, and I still have a good 25+ chapters left to read. I honestly don't even see where the book can even go from here. That was brutal.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #789
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
It's absurd how little I paid attention when I watched the show. I'm re-watching the whole series now and realized I missed entire scenes.

And when you're watching you notice the huge liberties they take. Only two small things have bothered me so far, one: there's a heavy portion of dreams that are described in the book, and they're very interesting to me, yet so far there has been almost none of that in the show. It's a very small aspect and you kind of know they're doing that to save time and cram as much into one episode as they can. I mean each episode is like 100 pages of the book, so whatever.

The other thing is more specific: the way they portray Jon in the show compared to in the book. The exchange between him and Ser Alliser Thorne in the kitchen while Thorne is bad-mouthing Ned about his "treason" was much more violent in the book than the show and the book shows how strong Jon is at such a young age. The scene in the show is just...I don't know, kind of pathetic.

Also, in the book Jon battles the undead guy mostly in the dark while the show It's in front of a fire. Again, the book shows how skilled and strong he is at such a young age and the show is holding back. I don't understand that at all.

Very minor details that don't really matter. I'm probably the only one who was even slightly bothered by it.

Yeah, the dream sequences in the book were very vivid and interesting and I'm disappointed now that they didn't include them in the show. The dream Bran had while in the coma about the crow and seeing all the events of Westeros from the sky would've been a great addition. Wouldn't have taken too much camera time either and it could've helped build suspense about the going-ons beyond the wall. Ned's dreams about Lyanna would've been great to see as well, Jon's nightmares about the crypt too.

Kind of surprised they didn't include them since some of the creative team worked on the Sopranos as well, and the dream sequences were a big part of character/plot development and added an interesting dimension to the show.

Almost done with the first book, jumping into the second soon. Ordered 'A Dance With Dragons' on Amazon.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #790
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
After what I just read in book 3....words cant even describe how I feel.

This book is the best one by far, and I still have a good 25+ chapters left to read. I honestly don't even see where the book can even go from here. That was brutal.
book 3 was my favorite as well. the event you are talking about just happens out of the blue...you only know it was coming if you are paying careful attention but even if you had a clue it was still shocking.

1 more week till book 5!

Last edited by rezznor : 07-06-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #791
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Yeah, the dream sequences in the book were very vivid and interesting and I'm disappointed now that they didn't include them in the show. The dream Bran had while in the coma about the crow and seeing all the events of Westeros from the sky would've been a great addition. Wouldn't have taken too much camera time either and it could've helped build suspense about the going-ons beyond the wall. Ned's dreams about Lyanna would've been great to see as well, Jon's nightmares about the crypt too.

Kind of surprised they didn't include them since some of the creative team worked on the Sopranos as well, and the dream sequences were a big part of character/plot development and added an interesting dimension to the show.

Almost done with the first book, jumping into the second soon. Ordered 'A Dance With Dragons' on Amazon.

Yes, the falling dream would've been fantastic. I mean it took up an entire chapter IIRC. So far the only one they've included in the show was the dream Bran has of the crow with three eyes and the crypt.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #792
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm bringing in the rear... down to the last 100 pages of book 1. This event in book 3 sounds pretty interesting.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #793
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
book 3 was my favorite as well. the event you are talking about just happens out of the blue...you only know it was coming if you are paying careful attention but even if you had a clue it was still shocking.

1 more week till book 5!

I honestly did expect it because of this line: "Some battles are won with pens instead of swords." Or something along the lines of that.

I pretty much knew what he was talking about but it was still tough to see the plan come to life.

Honestly I can't even seem to figure out what happens now. Theres no hope left....Unless that letter that Robb said he was going to send to the Wall gets to Jon and he obeys what was written.

It would be awesome to see Jon Snow lead the North to victory and sit the Iron Throne. At least with him on the throne there is king who knows how serious a threat Mance Rayder is.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #794
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I'm bringing in the rear... down to the last 100 pages of book 1. This event in book 3 sounds pretty interesting.

You're in my dust playa. Got my Kindle...will start book two tonight.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #795
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
You're in my dust playa. Got my Kindle...will start book two tonight.

I have a few days off of work, I'm hoping to be a few chapters at least into book 2 by Saturday/Sunday.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: