Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #796
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I've gotta be right behind Bano. I just finished an Arya Chapter last night where Dondarrion got word from the old lady forest midget that her uncle was getting married at the Twins.

It must be some happening. Because I've read a lot of people say book three is there favorite. But I'm over 600 pages in, and I'd say I still prefer book 2. Maybe because of the increased focus on Tyrion in book 2. The Arya stuff and Sansa stuff, and to some degree the Dany stuff feels like it drags a bit in book three. Dany's still wandering around the wasteland. Sansa is still a confused and controlled girl in King's Landing, and Arya is still lost in the wilderness, although I find her lostness interesting. It feels like all three of those arcs need to come to some kind of resolution. And meanwhile Tyrion's been back burnered to an extent. And the war has more or less come to a halt, with Robb not really moving from Riverrun while still getting weaker by screwing up his alliances. And Stannis stowed away in Dragonstone, with his perspective being Davos who only 600 pages in getting out of holding.

I'm still very much enjoying it, but it feels like some stuff needs to come to a head for me soon. Jon's been the most consistently good stuff as far as I'm concerned in book 2.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #797
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can anyone tell me how many years go by in the books? I'm just wondering if all the young gentleman and ladies grow up.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #798
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Can anyone tell me how many years go by in the books? I'm just wondering if all the young gentleman and ladies grow up.

Between book 1 and book 3 I'd say about 3 years? In book 3 Arya keeps saying how she was 8 when she left for Kings Landing and now shes 11...or almost 11. I cant remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I've gotta be right behind Bano. I just finished an Arya Chapter last night where Dondarrion got word from the old lady forest midget that her uncle was getting married at the Twins.

It must be some happening. Because I've read a lot of people say book three is there favorite. But I'm over 600 pages in, and I'd say I still prefer book 2. Maybe because of the increased focus on Tyrion in book 2. The Arya stuff and Sansa stuff, and to some degree the Dany stuff feels like it drags a bit in book three. Dany's still wandering around the wasteland. Sansa is still a confused and controlled girl in King's Landing, and Arya is still lost in the wilderness, although I find her lostness interesting. It feels like all three of those arcs need to come to some kind of resolution. And meanwhile Tyrion's been back burnered to an extent. And the war has more or less come to a halt, with Robb not really moving from Riverrun while still getting weaker by screwing up his alliances. And Stannis stowed away in Dragonstone, with his perspective being Davos who only 600 pages in getting out of holding.

I'm still very much enjoying it, but it feels like some stuff needs to come to a head for me soon. Jon's been the most consistently good stuff as far as I'm concerned in book 2.

Don't worry. Shits about to get real.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #799
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I think it was like 2-3 years max. originally, GRRM was planning to have a 5 year time jump to age all the kids after book 3 but he kept running into problems with that so he had to scratch everything. not sure how he is going to handle all the kids being so young as the story progresses. he admits that he should have started them off a bit older but o well, i can suspend my disbelief that a 16 year old boy can fight and defeat a 30 year old man as long as the writing remains this good.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #800
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Between book 1 and book 3 I'd say about 3 years? In book 3 Arya keeps saying how she was 8 when she left for Kings Landing and now shes 11...or almost 11. I cant remember.

Don't worry. Shits about to get real.

yep, it's just a slow burn until shit starts hitting the fan.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #801
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Yes, the falling dream would've been fantastic. I mean it took up an entire chapter IIRC. So far the only one they've included in the show was the dream Bran has of the crow with three eyes and the crypt.

as good as the show is, it would have been so much better if each season was 22-24 episodes. can't complain though, i'm just happy HBO had the guts to bring this to tv
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #802
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

While reading book 3 there has been one thing that I have wondered. What is the Bear and the Maiden Fair warning of? Songs obviously have a deeper meaning, as proved by that Castamear song but the Bear and Maiden Fair has been brought up a dozen times at least and I still cant think what it is warning of. It's bothering me because usually I'm good at figuring things like this out.

One thing it obviously foreshadowed was Tyrion and Sansa's marriage, but even after that it still gets plenty of mention. I can't wait until I find out what its foreshadowing, if it foreshadows anything else.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #803
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
While reading book 3 there has been one thing that I have wondered. What is the Bear and the Maiden Fair warning of? Songs obviously have a deeper meaning, as proved by that Castamear song but the Bear and Maiden Fair has been brought up a dozen times at least and I still cant think what it is warning of. It's bothering me because usually I'm good at figuring things like this out.

One thing it obviously foreshadowed was , but even after that it still gets plenty of mention. I can't wait until I find out what its foreshadowing, if it foreshadows anything else.

Jorah's the bear via his house sigil and that would make Dany the Maiden. At least that's what I think whenever I read it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #804
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:

One thing it obviously foreshadowed was Tyrion kills Dumbledore, but even after that it still gets plenty of mention. I can't wait until I find out what its foreshadowing, if it foreshadows anything else.

if i recall correctly, the song was about jorah and the maiden who became his wife and was the cause of him losing his honor. i may be wrong though, i kind of glossed over that part

Last edited by rezznor : 07-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #805
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
as good as the show is, it would have been so much better if each season was 22-24 episodes. can't complain though, i'm just happy HBO had the guts to bring this to tv

I think 10-13 episode seasons for shows like this are the norm. They have such elaborate sets and costumes I doubt they could afford it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #806
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
I think 10-13 episode seasons for shows like this are the norm. They have such elaborate sets and costumes I doubt they could afford it.
yeah. 10 million per episode
Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #807
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
if i recall correctly, the song was about jorah and the maiden who became his wife and was the cause of him losing his honor.

Yeah but the song keeps getting brought up. I want to know why and what it may be warning.

SPOILER IN WHITE, I WOULD NOT SUGGEST READING IT UNLESS YOU ARE DONE WITH BOOK 3.

For example,The Castamear song was about the Lord who betrayed Lord Tywin and how Lord Tywin brutally repaid that debt. When the Frey's are about to kill Robb and his men at Lord Tywins asking in the letters the musicians in disguise begin to play tha Castamear song. The song foreshadowed Tywin Lannister punishment of the North for betraying King Joffrey.

Now the Bear and the Maiden Fair keeps coming up. We know its about Jorah's relationship with his wife buy why does it keep coming up. What purpose is it's mention trying to serve?

Jorah and Danaerys isn't a bad guess but that song is never played in the East as far as I've read. And you also have to remember that Danaerys scolded Jorah pretty badly for being over-protective of her and said she basically did not love him in that way.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #808
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
yeah. 10 million per episode

Cot damn that's a lot.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #809
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

You sure you have your figures right?

This link says otherwise. $10 mil seems like a lot, even for an epic fantasy

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features/Entry/3988/
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #810
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Yeah but the song keeps getting brought up. I want to know why and what it may be warning.

SPOILER IN WHITE, I WOULD NOT SUGGEST READING IT UNLESS YOU ARE DONE WITH BOOK 3.

For example,Lady comes back as an Other's hound

Now the Bear and the Maiden Fair keeps coming up. We know its about Jorah's relationship with his wife buy why does it keep coming up. What purpose is it's mention trying to serve?

Jorah and Danaerys isn't a bad guess but that song is never played in the East as far as I've read. And you also have to remember that Danaerys scolded Jorah pretty badly for being over-protective of her and said she basically did not love him in that way.

if it is hinting at something, it hasn't been revealed yet as of the conclusion of book 4, unless I just totally missed it
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: