Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #811
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Hodor is the Prince who was Promised
yeah, the bad guys lose too, but it didn't satisfy me nearly enough. I want them to suffer more. *
and the Red Viper is a bad ass! The Martells are an interesting clan. I can see myself enjoying their adventures almost as much as the Starks.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #812
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
book 5 is out today

When do you plan on getting it, and if you've already started reading is it good....or a more fitting question, how good is it?
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #813
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
When do you plan on getting it, and if you've already started reading is it good....or a more fitting question, how good is it?

i don't have time to read it until August so I'll get it then. I know if i got it now, I would be putting everything off until i finished it.

All the reviews have been very positive so far. it is best read as a "companion" to book 4 so it'll be good for you guys who are going through the series right now since everything will be fresh. (book 4 felt a bit incomplete, 5 ties everything together and then moves the story forward)

i think we get some more hints or outright answers to Jon's parents and Coldhand's identity but I'm not sure. the review i read teased it but didn't give a straight answer.

also, in a recent GRRM interview, he said that Book 5 is now the point where he will start moving everybody together.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #814
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
i don't have time to read it until August so I'll get it then. I know if i got it now, I would be putting everything off until i finished it.

All the reviews have been very positive so far. it is best read as a "companion" to book 4 so it'll be good for you guys who are going through the series right now since everything will be fresh. (book 4 felt a bit incomplete, 5 ties everything together and then moves the story forward)

i think we get some more hints or outright answers to Jon's parents and Coldhand's identity but I'm not sure. the review i read teased it but didn't give a straight answer.

also, in a recent GRRM interview, he said that Book 5 is now the point where he will start moving everybody together.

So they don't actually give out Coldhand's identity. Since he was so briefly introduced, I guessed it was Benjen.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #815
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So they don't actually give out Coldhand's identity. Since he was so briefly introduced, I guessed it was Benjen.
are you talking about book 4 or book 5? but yeah, alot of people think it's Benjen, especially since he calls Sam "brother"
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #816
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
are you talking about book 4 or book 5? but yeah, alot of people think it's Benjen, especially since he calls Sam "brother"

I'm almost through book three, and yeah, it is because he calls Sam brother. He's gotta be a crow. I actually thought at first maybe it was Quorin Halfhand, but then I figured Sam would recognize him seeing as he's got the halfhand, and he would have just recently seen him. The cold hands seem to be a sign that the Wight infection somehow got to him, but he's able to kee some semblence of himself (no matter who it is). And since Jon killed Quorin, it seemed doable that he could've been turned after that while he was out there. Sam to my knowledge never met Benjen. He left just before Sam arrived. So he wouldn't recognize him.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #817
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
I'm almost through book three, and yeah, it is because he calls Sam brother. He's gotta be a crow. I actually thought at first maybe it was Quorin Halfhand, but then I figured Sam would recognize him seeing as he's got the halfhand, and he would have just recently seen him. The cold hands seem to be a sign that the Wight infection somehow got to him, but he's able to kee some semblence of himself (no matter who it is). And since Jon killed Quorin, it seemed doable that he could've been turned after that while he was out there. Sam to my knowledge never met Benjen. He left just before Sam arrived. So he wouldn't recognize him.

the prevailing theory is that *the others killed Benjen and turned him into a wight but the children of the forest intervened and allowed him to keep his intelligence and personality*
Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #818
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:

Book 4 and the beggining of book 5 happen at the same time right? I wonder what it would be like if I read one chapter of each at a time?

Something would probably be spoiled during the beggining of book 5 so idk.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #819
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Book 4 and the beggining of book 5 happen at the same time right? I wonder what it would be like if I read one chapter of each at a time?

yeah the first part of book 5 occurs concurrently with book 4
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #820
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
yeah the first part of book 5 occurs concurrently with book 4

Do you think I should read both at the same time?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #821
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Do you think I should read both at the same time?
naaa, i would read it in order. i'm sure he wrote it with that in mind.

just be happy that you didn't have to wait 5 years to find out what happens after book 4, and 10 years to find out what happens to Dany, Jon, and Tyrion like I did!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #822
Thorpesaurous

Quote:

I've been wondering how it would read if you rearranged all the chapters and did each character in sequence whole. You would miss the perspective of what's going on, but you'd get a similar sense of shock when the news is broken. Like last night I read the Jamie chapter:

Where he gets back to King's landing finally. But on his way there, he hears word that Joffrey is dead, and the rumors that The Imp killed him. Maybe he just choked on a morsel of food. Maybe he was poisoned by the imp and his wife. And then she disappeared in a puff of smoke and ghostly direwolf was seen about the castle that night. Had I read that without reading the chapters about the death first, I would have been put directly into Jamie's perspective of WTF? You'd have to figure out who to read first and the like, but they could be re-sequenced in some pretty interesting ways.

Right now they're sequenced in a timeline, and had they been written straight through, each new chapter would pretty much have to begin with the word "Meanwhile ... "
Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #823
alenleomessi
W

man am i the only one that doesnt like this show ?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #824
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
man am i the only one that doesnt like this show ?

The thread is 900 posts long ... but it's really only about ten of us.

I admit that it took me a little effort to get into the show.

They dump a lot of characters and info and relationships and names of places and history on you all at once. So those first few episodes I was close to giving up on it. Honestly The Wire had a similar effect on me. Too many people too soon, too hard to figure who to care about, who to like, who to dislike. But once you catch on, it allows for extra depth that makes them both extremely rewarding.

One issue I think the show had was it's opening sequence with The Others. Awesome scene. But they don't show up again, and with no background knowledge, and seeing that before the opening credits, you feel like that's a major element, yet no other character knows about them or believes the story of the deserter, who's quickly executed, and as a viewer there's a quick sidetrack that distracts you from an already massive undertaking.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #825
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
I've been wondering how it would read if you rearranged all the chapters and did each character in sequence whole. You would miss the perspective of what's going on, but you'd get a similar sense of shock when the news is broken. Like last night I read the Jamie chapter:

Jaime goes on a killing rampage when he realizes he can't even beat off with his left hand.

It's interesting you mention reading in sequences because I read the other day that GRRM took all of Dany's chapters in A Game of Thrones and put them all together into one book, which won an award.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: