Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #76
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Yes, Arya Stark is awesome.

I'm hoping that there's more to Cate's brutal relationship with Snow, because while I would understand some coldness, she's downright nasty to the poor bastard, and it seems to betray what is otherwise a consistently morally true character.

I'm gonna throw out a couple guesses. First, Terien Lannister knows of the relationship between his brother and sister. He's hinted at too much not to.

Second, I'm guessing Joffrey Lannister is in fact the son of the brother and sister. It just seems like they went too far out of their way to make him look like the other two Lannisters. He doesn't have any resemblence to the king at all.

And just to clarify the relationships.

Ned has two brothers. One who died with his father in the war with the mad Targaryian King at King's Landing. And another who is of some high position on The Wall. He also had a sister who was at one time to be married to the current King. So there's four Starks of that generation, at least.

Cate has a sister, still alive, married to the late Hand of The King, John Errand, who for reasons not explained, was "Like a Father" to both Ned and the current King.

There are two surviving Targeryians, the children of the mad king who was killed by the Lannister guy, fled across the narrow sea, and are now staying with some sort of dignitary, and the daughter recently married to a brute who the brother hopes to convince to raid Kings Landing with him. Who is that guy who translates for her? Will I get to see that asian girl again .... Please?

There are three Lannisters of this generation. The Queen, her brother / boyfriend, and The Imp. The Brother is responsible for the former Mad King Targerian's death. Where is their father? Was he royalty of some kind.

And what is the deal with the current King Robert Baratheon. Is he descended from royalty. Why is he king? Did he lead a revolution? Shouldn't the Brother Lanister who actually killed the old king be ruler? Did they fight on the same side during that revolution? How did he hook up with the current Queen?

It seems as if we're not going to get it, but this show almost feels like it could be spectacular if it did nothing but run in flashbacks from here on out, and there would be plenty of ground to cover. But with the Targaryians coming from the south, and Winter is Coming ... from the north, I have a feeling they won't have time to get too much deeper into what set this all up.

I read so little fiction, and now that I'm in on the show, it seems unlikely I'd get into these, but these must be great books.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #77
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
yeah, the guy who was banging his sister used to be part of the old kingsguard but he betrayed the old king and stabbed him in the back when it was apparent robert was going to win the civil war. and yeah, the dwarf is one of the best characters in the books.

this should might help keep everyone in order. http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...e681a0.pdf.pdf

You can pretty much disregard my previous post. It seems everything I'd want to know is in here.

And this is more interesting the more you know about these characters. Pretty much every one we've seen so far is in some way related.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #78
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I'm hoping that there's more to Cate's brutal relationship with Snow, because while I would understand some coldness, she's downright nasty to the poor bastard, and it seems to betray what is otherwise a consistently morally true character.

I'm gonna throw out a couple guesses. First, Terien Lannister knows of the relationship between his brother and sister. He's hinted at too much not to.

Second, I'm guessing Joffrey Lannister is in fact the son of the brother and sister. It just seems like they went too far out of their way to make him look like the other two Lannisters. He doesn't have any resemblence to the king at all.

Ned has two brothers. One who died with his father in the war with the mad Targaryian King at King's Landing. And another who is of some high position on The Wall. He also had a sister who was at one time to be married to the current King. So there's four Starks of that generation, at least.

Cate has a sister, still alive, married to the late Hand of The King, John Errand, who for reasons not explained, was "Like a Father" to both Ned and the current King.

There are two surviving Targeryians, the children of the mad king who was killed by the Lannister guy, fled across the narrow sea, and are now staying with some sort of dignitary, and the daughter recently married to a brute who the brother hopes to convince to raid Kings Landing with him. Who is that guy who translates for her? Will I get to see that asian girl again .... Please?

There are three Lannisters of this generation. The Queen, her brother / boyfriend, and The Imp. The Brother is responsible for the former Mad King Targerian's death. Where is their father? Was he royalty of some kind.

And what is the deal with the current King Robert Baratheon. Is he descended from royalty. Why is he king? Did he lead a revolution? Shouldn't the Brother Lanister who actually killed the old king be ruler? Did they fight on the same side during that revolution? How did he hook up with the current Queen?

It seems as if we're not going to get it, but this show almost feels like it could be spectacular if it did nothing but run in flashbacks from here on out, and there would be plenty of ground to cover. But with the Targaryians coming from the south, and Winter is Coming ... from the north, I have a feeling they won't have time to get too much deeper into what set this all up.

I read so little fiction, and now that I'm in on the show, it seems unlikely I'd get into these, but these must be great books.

I have pretty much the same q's as you.. but in particular am curious about the bolded. How did he become king, why did he lead the rebellion when it seems that it started with the murder of Neds family members, and why did he marry the lady lannister?
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #79
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Ok I just read the wikipedia of King Robert and it explained how he became king and his family background. But it does spoil one thing that will eventually be revealed in this series. So if you dont want to know then I guess dont read. But channces are you either had your suspicions or knew already.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...ratheon#Family

Even tho I read the spoiler I'm not totally shocked given what I've seen after 3 episodes. Just uhh well keep my comments to self.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #80
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I have pretty much the same q's as you.. but in particular am curious about the bolded. How did he become king, why did he lead the rebellion when it seems that it started with the murder of Neds family members, and why did he marry the lady lannister?

You should go into the character section of the link that Rez posted. I'm getting a lot of background from it, and not feeling like it's ruining anything for me, but I never tend to feel like prior knowledge ruins stories for me, unless it's some huge twist.

About Cersai Lannister
Quote:
She is the wife of King Robert Baratheon, a political marriage agreed to by Robert in thanks for her father's late switching of sides in the civil war which brought Robert to power. With Robert she has three children: Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen. She is noted for her great beauty.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #81
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:

The guy that is translating is a knight that had been disgraced and fled into exile. he hates the starks because ned was supposed to sentence him to death. his father is the high commander of the Wall. what asian girl? are you refferring to one of the khaleesi's servants? she will be around until the second book

The father is the lord and head of the Lannister family. they are very rich and the kingdom owes his family alot of money. he will show up later on.

And what is the deal with the current King Robert Baratheon. Is he descended from royalty. Why is he king? Did he lead a revolution? Shouldn't the Brother Lanister who actually killed the old king be ruler? Did they fight on the same side during that revolution? How did he hook up with the current Queen? Robert is the eldest of the baratheon family, which was also very powerful. he led the rebellion with ned as his right hand man. jaimie lannister actually sat on the throne after he killed the mad king but Ned showed up and ordered him off. Robert then claimed the throne and everyone just followed him. the robert of 10 years ago is very different from the one now. he used to be a very powerful warrior.

It seems as if we're not going to get it, but this show almost feels like it could be spectacular if it did nothing but run in flashbacks from here on out, and there would be plenty of ground to cover. But with the Targaryians coming from the south, and Winter is Coming ... from the north, I have a feeling they won't have time to get too much deeper into what set this all up. yeah, there is so much rich history that comes before the current story. george rr martin did a great job of world building. there are some prequel short stories out but i havent read them

hope this helps

Last edited by rezznor : 05-07-2011 at 03:43 PM.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #82
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Ok I just read the wikipedia of King Robert and it explained how he became king and his family background. But it does spoil one thing that will eventually be revealed in this series. So if you dont want to know then I guess dont read. But channces are you either had your suspicions or knew already.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...ratheon#Family

Even tho I read the spoiler I'm not totally shocked given what I've seen after 3 episodes. Just uhh well keep my comments to self.
yeah, that spoiler will actually get revealed pretty soon. i'm expecting it to come out within the next 2 episodes. the revelation kicks off much of the action later on.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #83
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

robert loved ned's sister very much, and in fact he still loves her to this day. the mad king's brother raped and murdered her. also, robert and ned are like brothers, they were raised together. he married into the lannister family for political reasons, he never loved her, or her him.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #84
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
hope this helps

Yeah, I'm reading through the character bios on the Wiki page, and it's really fleshing things out really well.

The asian girl is Calesie's servent that was provided by her brother to teach her the ways of love, and is in fact played by Roxanne McKey, who after a quick google image search, I can rightfully say isn't nearly as famous as she aught to be. Good lord she's damn near perfect.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #85
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

The background on the Targaryean family is really helpfull, and has made what has seemed pretty cheesey stuff, like the brother's repeated warnings to the sister about not "awakening the dragon" make a lot more sense.

That and it really clarified King Robert's ascension, the reason for the rebellion, and his awkward relationship with the Lannisters.

I do find it odd that Ned and King Robert have so much resentment for Jamie Lannister for his stabbing the mad king in the back when he was responsible for the death of their sister / would be wife.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 05-07-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #86
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Cant wait for episode 4 tomorrow.

Quote:
The background on the Targaryean family is really helpfull, and has made what has seemed pretty cheesey stuff, like the brother's repeated warnings to the sister about not "awakening the dragon" make a lot more sense.

That and it really clarified King Robert's ascension, the reason for the rebellion, and his awkward relationship with the Lannisters.

I do find it odd that Ned and King Robert have so much resentment for Jamie Lannister for his stabbing the mad king in the back when he was responsible for the death of their sister / would be wife.

Maybe it has them questioning how trustworthy he could be? While he did kill a guy that they hated. The way in which he did it could be percieved as slimy. If he could knife a man in the back who is to say he wouldnt take that oppurtunity to do the same to Ned or Robert?

I could be offbase and maybe there is more to the story that we dont know. But thats just my guess. The phrase sticking a knife in someones back has never been a positive one. Maybe they feel he did it out of an agenda.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #87
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Cant wait for episode 4 tomorrow.

Maybe it has them questioning how trustworthy he could be? While he did kill a guy that they hated. The way in which he did it could be percieved as slimy. If he could knife a man in the back who is to say he wouldnt take that oppurtunity to do the same to Ned or Robert?

I could be offbase and maybe there is more to the story that we dont know. But thats just my guess. The phrase sticking a knife in someones back has never been a positive one. Maybe they feel he did it out of an agenda.

I agree, it just seems like they're a little wishy washy about it. Either openly despise the guy, or take him in. The character bios say Ned Stark believes that he should at the very least be stripped of his honor of being on the kings guard, which makes sense. It makes sense politically, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a guy making political moves after leading a rebellion against a king.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #88
BRabbiT

looks good.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #89
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
I agree, it just seems like they're a little wishy washy about it. Either openly despise the guy, or take him in. The character bios say Ned Stark believes that he should at the very least be stripped of his honor of being on the kings guard, which makes sense. It makes sense politically, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a guy making political moves after leading a rebellion against a king.
The Kingsguard consists of 7 most elite Knights in all of Westeros. They are sworn to protect the King with their lives so him killing the king whom he swore to protect is a major crime against honor and the scared oaths of knighthood. Additionally the knights of the Kingsguard are supposed to be not only highly skilled in combat but of great honor as they are looked upon with much respect.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #90
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
jaimie lannister actually sat on the throne after he killed the mad king but Ned showed up and ordered him off. Robert then claimed the throne and everyone just followed him. the robert of 10 years ago is very different from the one now. he used to be a very powerful warrior.

That makes some more sense to the scene where he orders more wine from that boy and tells him to bring his cousin in. Saying something to the effect of how much it must suck for him to have to guard the door while he eats and drinks.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: