Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #961
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Eh, that is a terrible shot of Carice.

She is by far the biggest star in Dutch cinema at the moment, but she's never blown me away to be honest.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #962
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

i was planning on holding out for the HBO series than read the books since i've gone thru the same thing with Naruto anime vs manga, and ended up spoiling myself with the manga which makes me less interested in the anime. but i just caved and picked up the box set along with the Dark Tower box set too. i'm looking forward to reading it, just hope it doesn't ruin watching the new seasons on HBO so much.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #963
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
i was planning on holding out for the HBO series than read the books since i've gone thru the same thing with Naruto anime vs manga, and ended up spoiling myself with the manga which makes me less interested in the anime. but i just caved and picked up the box set along with the Dark Tower box set too. i'm looking forward to reading it, just hope it doesn't ruin watching the new seasons on HBO so much.

personally, it didn't ruin the show for me but i'm not the type of person who gets bothered by spoilers. besides, you can finish all the books this summer and forget about alot of the details by the time seasons 3-7 (hopefully) come around.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #964
clipse026
Local High School Star

I had to skip so many pages in this thread since I stopped keeping up on here during the season. I also picked up the books and I'm almost finished with A Clash of Kings. It's so much more exciting than the 1st book and really has me excited for more. Good shit. The part with Asha also caught me off guard. Also in white: Renly's death was quite surprising mid chapter. I wonder who they will cast as Brienne.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #965
rezznor
Nosetradamus

they already cast brienne

this chick. supposedly a well regarded stage actress that has had some minor movie roles. she's 6'3"

Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #966
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Davos the Onion Knight has been casted also

Quote:
The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros are experiencing a population boom. On the heels of Tuesday's news that Stephen Dillane and Carice van Houten have joined HBO’s second season of Game of Thrones, another actor reportedly fills the last major new role of next season.

sauce
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #967
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Melisandre and Stannis have been cast:

Carice van Houten

Stephen Dillane

Eh

Stannis is pretty much exactly what I pictured in my head.

Oh, and to the others who just read the part about Theon's sister, I just read that chapter too and was like oh shit, lol. Embarrassing, haha.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #968
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Davos the Onion Knight has been casted also

sauce

I hope this guy can act, Davos is one of my favorite characters in the book. He's actually alot like Ned Stark and finds himself in alot of the same situations.

Does Davos have any chapters in book 5? I just found out where he's speninding his time during book 4....doesn't sound too good.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #969
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I hope this guy can act, Davos is one of my favorite characters in the book. He's actually alot like Ned Stark and finds himself in alot of the same situations.

Does Davos have any chapters in book 5? I just found out where he's speninding his time during book 4....doesn't sound too good.

Davos is very much like Ned in that he's inexerably tied to his own code. And if you like him so far, he'll get even cooler.

I really want a good Asha. I haven't gotten far enough to know, but I feel like she'll be a pretty good subplot in book 4 when the fighting to rule the Iron Islands really gets going. Whatever the hell a Kingssmoot is.

I'm about 150 pages into book 4.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #970
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Davos is very much like Ned in that he's inexerably tied to his own code. And if you like him so far, he'll get even cooler.

I really want a good Asha. I haven't gotten far enough to know, but I feel like she'll be a pretty good subplot in book 4 when the fighting to rule the Iron Islands really gets going. Whatever the hell a Kingssmoot is.

I'm about 150 pages into book 4.

If you just read that Asha chapter then I'm like 3 or 4 chapters ahead of you. I just finished a Cersei chapter. She's a bad bitch.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #971
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
If you just read that Asha chapter then I'm like 3 or 4 chapters ahead of you. I just finished a Cersei chapter. She's a bad bitch.

I finished Cersei chapter last night, where she:

Is told that Tywin is dead.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #972
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Stannis is pretty much exactly what I pictured in my head.

Oh, and to the others who just read the part about Theon's sister, I just read that chapter too and was like oh shit, lol. Embarrassing, haha.

I agree that that guy has a pretty good Stannis look.

One of the things that strikes me more in the books than in the show is the size of some of these guys. Robert was supposed to be a monster. Stannis too, just a wiry thin one, but monstrously tall and strong. And The Hound reads as huge too, which he at least sort of looks the part. He's a guy who had a decent role in the first season, but I hope that guy has some chops, because turns out that's a pretty meaty role. They obviously used some trickeration to make The Mountain look appropriately big, but he's gonna be in more stuff as they move on that will be a little more complicated.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #973
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:

One of the things that strikes me more in the books than in the show is the size of some of these guys. Robert was supposed to be a monster. Stannis too, just a wiry thin one, but monstrously tall and strong. And The Hound reads as huge too, which he at least sort of looks the part. He's a guy who had a decent role in the first season, but I hope that guy has some chops, because turns out that's a pretty meaty role. They obviously used some trickeration to make The Mountain look appropriately big, but he's gonna be in more stuff as they move on that will be a little more complicated.

Yeah, I thought personality-wise, they did a good job with the actors.

I thought Jon Snow, Eddard (big Sean Bean fan), Cersei, Arya, Sansa, Drogo, and Tyrion were really well cast.

The guy who plays Robert had the role down, but didn't fit the description in the book. The only guy who seemed to be as big as his character in the book (out of the big guys) was Drogo, lol.

Didn't take away from the show for me though because I thought the actors really captured the character personalities.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #974
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Yeah, I thought personality-wise, they did a good job with the actors.

I thought Jon Snow, Eddard (big Sean Bean fan), Cersei, Arya, Sansa, Drogo, and Tyrion were really well cast.

The guy who plays Robert had the role down, but didn't fit the description in the book. The only guy who seemed to be as big as his character in the book (out of the big guys) was Drogo, lol.

Didn't take away from the show for me though because I thought the actors really captured the character personalities.

Yea, and outside of WWE style wrestlers, who are that big? But they're most likely gonna be awful actors.

Even Ned was supposed to be big and imposing, but you don't really get a sense of that in the show except for when Little Finger is talking to the two whores about the duel for Cat and how she then had to marry her fiance's brother (Ned) and said that he was an even better specimen than his brother. or something to that extent

Last edited by Anti Hero : 07-20-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #975
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:

in the books the Mountain is like over 7 feet of muscle. too bad none of those WWE guys can pull off a convincing accent.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: