Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #961
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
he sure as hell better have the rest of the story mapped out like Jordan did.

I don't mind the new writer at all, he doesn't drone on over minutia like Jordan tended to.

True.

It seems to me Jordan was a bit overly obsessive with WOT to the point he got bogged down in a lot of useless details while it is clear Martin, or a part of him can't decide what direction he is going with the story after killing off a lot of characters that would be key characters in a typical tale. Hopefully he has the last few books mapped out and with the focus on the show he actually sticks to finishing the series and not doing so many side projects.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #962
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
True.

It seems to me Jordan was a bit overly obsessive with WOT to the point he got bogged down in a lot of useless details while it is clear Martin, or a part of him can't decide what direction he is going with the story after killing off a lot of characters that would be key characters in a typical tale. Hopefully he has the last few books mapped out and with the focus on the show he actually sticks to finishing the series and not doing so many side projects.
yeah i'm hoping HBO gives im added incentive to finish the damn thing already. we don't need any more conan stories or short stories.

at least Jordan knew he was going to die so he was prepared. i hope grrm doesn't get hit by a car or something
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #963
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
about the deaths in this series: (spoilers for books 3-5 don't read this unless you have finished the latest book)

Tywin + Catelyn = Robb?
Spoilers for Book 5 in white:
Martin is losing his grasp on the plot a bit, he is falling into RJ's trap and I dont want my A Dream Spring credited by Scott Baker! My earlier post:

It was a bitch to read when it came to Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Quentyn and even Arya's chapters. When reading them I felt like I was reading the same chapters all over again. I never thought I would ever find Jon, Tyrion or Arya's chapters ever boring or repetitive...
Dany was either mooning over Daario or acting like a bitch, her transformation back to the girl she was in AGOT and ACOK only made her previous development to a queen the more ridiculous. Jon's chapters were all about saving wildlings and Bowen Marsh's scowls. Tyrion kept being passed around from captivity to another one. Quentyn's plot line was useless as bulltits.Theon, Davos, Bran and Griff saved ADWD from becoming a disaster though.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #964
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
So now I have just finished Jaime's first chapter and would like to change my guesses to either Brienne or Jaime

You were closer the first time.

Here, if you want (I don't feel it's that big of a deal.):

It was Loras' brother Garlan. Like I said, you had your guess right. You knew it was a flower based on his adoration of Renly (probably more enforced by the gay scene in the show, which really seems a stretch in the text, but for me I can't get the implication out of my head, and I read Loras and Renly like that all the time).
Anyway, it was Loras' brother, Garlan, who I don't believe you've been introduced to yet. But it's only because Loras was too small to fit in Renly's signature green armor with the Stag Antlered helm. So Garlan did it.
He tells the story to Jamie later on.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #965
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Why would cate do that, and it seems to all have blown up in her face.. a mothers madness?!?!

What're you talking about?

Dig the crowned stag avatar by the way.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #966
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
What're you talking about?

Dig the crowned stag avatar by the way.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Catelyn freeing Jamie with Brienne.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #967
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Catelyn having sex with the Imp.

Ah ... that makes sense.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #968
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Book four is so tough to get through when you don't care about almost all of the featured characters.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #969
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Book four is so tough to get through when you don't care about almost all of the featured characters.

Book 4 took me the longest to get through. I was reading like 2 chapters a day which is nothing compared to how many I read in book 3.

In my opinion the best characters to read are Cersei and Jamie. Cersei because this book exposes her for how much of a bad bitch she really is. Cersei is hands down the most manipulative, horrible woman character I have ever read. She makes Lady MacBeth look like a Nun. Jamie's chapters were great to me because it was interesting to see how much he matures as a character from book 1 to his last chapter in book 4.

And the last like 8 chapters so much is put in play that you can't wait to get into book 5. Some of the things being planned are so exciting that you have to pick up the next book right away to find out how things go down. I'm still early in book 5 so I couldn't say how they do.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #970
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Book 4 took me the longest to get through. I was reading like 2 chapters a day which is nothing compared to how many I read in book 3.

In my opinion the best characters to read are Cersei and Jamie. Cersei because this book exposes her for how much of a bad bitch she really is. Cersei is hands down the most manipulative, horrible woman character I have ever read. She makes Lady MacBeth look like a Nun. Jamie's chapters were great to me because it was interesting to see how much he matures as a character from book 1 to his last chapter in book 4.

And the last like 8 chapters so much is put in play that you can't wait to get into book 5. Some of the things being planned are so exciting that you have to pick up the next book right away to find out how things go down. I'm still early in book 5 so I couldn't say how they do.
Jaime has taken a complete 180 in just the beginning of the book. He really cares about his legacy all of a sudden, and I'm willing to bet It's because of Brienne.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #971
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Jaime has taken a complete 180 in just the beginning of the book. He really cares about his legacy all of a sudden, and I'm willing to bet It's because of Brienne.
you really have to HAND it to him
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #972
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
you really have to HAND it to him

god that was awful

About 450 pages into book four. Finally an Arya chapter.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #973
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
god that was awful

About 450 pages into book four. Finally an Arya chapter.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #974
Thorpesaurous

I'm struggling with Book 4 as well.

Arya, who's been probably my favorite character, just feels off as this meek trainee.

I do agree that Cersei and Jamie are interesting. I've just spent so much time getting invested in all these characters, and they're just not here. No Jon, No Tyrion, No Dany. And all of a sudden I'm supposed to care about Victarion Greyjoy, whose actually pretty badass, but still. And all the early stuff with the Dornish was pretty cool, but again, I'm not invested in them.

My favorite chapter so far was the Sam chapter when he crossed paths with Arya. I love the moments when two characters perspective's cross, like the chapter where Jon and Bran are both in the Gift at the same time, and it's one of the best parts of the whole Red Wedding, that Arya and Catelyn are seeing it from different angles at once.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #975
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm struggling with Book 4 as well.

Arya, who's been probably my favorite character, just feels off as this meek trainee.

I do agree that Cersei and Jamie are interesting. I've just spent so much time getting invested in all these characters, and they're just not here. No Jon, No Tyrion, No Dany. And all of a sudden I'm supposed to care about Victarion Greyjoy, whose actually pretty badass, but still. And all the early stuff with the Dornish was pretty cool, but again, I'm not invested in them.

My favorite chapter so far was the Sam chapter when he crossed paths with Arya. I love the moments when two characters perspective's cross, like the chapter where Jon and Bran are both in the Gift at the same time, and it's one of the best parts of the whole Red Wedding, that Arya and Catelyn are seeing it from different angles at once.
Victarion IS badass, the guy is T800 with daddy issues!
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: