Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #1006
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presence
I've officially f*cking had it with book four. It STINKS. F*cking STIIIIIINKS.

I'm skipping to book five and I'll just look something up if I don't get a reference.
lol good luck man, ADWD is just another name for AFFC! You just wait and wait and read the same shit happening again till you reach the end of the book then you will be like WTF?
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #1007
Presence
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Welcome back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO88HHSWg-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Book four was definitely a chore, but it's got a few moments of note.

The Arys Oakheart chapter where he meets up with Hotah ... Cersie's introduction to the new High Septon, and her bargain with him to get Tommen blessed ... and the last 100 pages.

Other than that, yeah it can be a bit trying. The Arya / Cat of the Canals stuff was exhausting. I actually fell asleep during one of the chapters.

I also was amused by the post script, about how book four and five happen concurrently, and the need to point that out, when the entire series has required you to sort of read into the timeline of stuff. From chapter to chapter things happen concurrently.

I had high hopes for Stoneheart after her such a long wait for her to really appear in anything other than rumors since her introduction, and was a bit disappointed when she finally showed up some 1000 pages later.

I'm at a "Cat of the Canals" chapter, about 720 pages in. What do I have to look forward to if anything?
Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #1008
Presence
Learning to shoot layups

>>>>>>
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #1009
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO88HHSWg-c

I'm at a "Cat of the Canals" chapter, about 720 pages in. What do I have to look forward to if anything?

I don't know. I think it's just that I liked the headstrong, stubborn, not unlike her Dad version of Cat, and now that she's in training with the faceless men, she's just not the same character. It's all about her becoming meek and passive and blending in, it's just not her.

She does have some good moments though. When she meets up with Sam and Dareon the singer, it's a nice run in. But frankly, the entire island there is a bit of a mish mosh of characters which makes the reading a little tough.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #1010
Presence
Learning to shoot layups

I realized I only had like 250 pages left so I said F it, read about 100 pages tonight. I'll finish it this week.

However, I'm gonna skip any Dorne or Ironborn chapters. I don't give a shit about those story-lines.

I did read another two Arya chapters, one where Dareon mentions that Jon Snow is now the lord commander of the Night's Watch. At first it doesn't seem like she cares at all, and I've been dreading the thought of her becoming some...meaningless monk or whatever, but she pulled me back at the end of that chapter.

Also, It's about time Sam got some p*ssy. He's such a craven!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #1011
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I realized I only had like 250 pages left so I said F it, read about 100 pages tonight. I'll finish it this week.

However, I'm gonna skip any Dorne or Ironborn chapters. I don't give a shit about those story-lines.

I did read another two Arya chapters, one where Dareon mentions that Jon Snow is now the lord commander of the Night's Watch. At first it doesn't seem like she cares at all, and I've been dreading the thought of her becoming some...meaningless monk or whatever, but she pulled me back at the end of that chapter.

Also, It's about time Sam got some p*ssy. He's such a craven!
Do read the Dorne and Ironborn chapters man, they become more important in the next book. Well relative to the extreme slow pace of ADWD.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #1012
Presence
Learning to shoot layups

Son of a BITCH. Can't I just get 45 Lord Commander Snow chapters?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #1013
rezznor
Nosetradamus

the Martells of Dorne are the most interesting of all the new characters. Can't wait to read some sand snake chapters.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #1014
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the Martells of Dorne are the most interesting of all the new characters. Can't wait to read some sand snake chapters.

Yeah, the Dornish culture interested me, but it's clear that the Martell's are very important in the last Dornish chapter of the fourth book, the princess in the tower, when Doran Martell's plan is finally explained, that was pretty much the high point of the book. Book four really does come together in those last 100 pages or so.

They all have there moments, but the Sam on the boat and Arya on the Islands is just so blah, it just kills the momentum of the book.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #1015
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, the Dornish culture interested me, but it's clear that the Martell's are very important in the last Dornish chapter of the fourth book, the princess in the tower, when Doran Martell's plan is finally explained, that was pretty much the high point of the book. Book four really does come together in those last 100 pages or so.

They all have there moments, but the Sam on the boat and Arya on the Islands is just so blah, it just kills the momentum of the book.
and briene wandering...and wandering...and wandering around westeros.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #1016
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
The only interesting chapters were of Reek and Victarion where actually something happened. I dont even know what purpose Quentyn serve the plot and the series.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #1017
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Sandor marries Brienne

yeah dunno why there were so many chapters devoted to him. guess GRRM had to fulfill a one POV death per book quota.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #1018
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
and briene wandering...and wandering...and wandering around westeros.

Yeah, I never was even to wrap my head around where she was. She wondered with Crabb forever it seemed, and then all of sudden she was right back where she started with him. I know the road home always feels shorter than the road out, but that was rediculous.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #1019
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Gilly
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1020
Thorpesaurous

Quote: