Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #1036
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
So I went on a huge tear and read a bunch of pages a few nights back but never finished off the book... Hodor is the Mountain's son What the f*ck is going on here... gonna try like hell to finish the last 80 pages tonight. Will this be addressed by the end of the second book .

are you at the Battle of Blackwater?
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1037
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

So pissed. i got my box set yesterday, brought it home, started reading it in the bathroom and left it there, then this morning i accidentally knocked the book into the toilet
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #1038
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
are you at the Battle of Blackwater?

Yea that's what I was talking about, but I finished the book last night. So it's all good

also

@ toilet book.. that sucks bud..
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #1039
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Yea that's what I was talking about, but I finished the book last night. So it's all good

also

@ toilet book.. that sucks bud..

I don't think they fully explain it until later. The small folk are telling stories of Renly's ghost being on the battlefield, but it's mostly not believed, I think mainly stated by Cersei and Tyrion. But there is an explanation for it ... I just don't think it comes until much much later. Late in book 3 I think it is.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1040
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I don't think they fully explain it until later. The small folk are telling stories of Renly's ghost being on the battlefield, but it's mostly not believed, I think mainly stated by Cersei and Tyrion. But there is an explanation for it ... I just don't think it comes until much much later. Late in book 3 I think it is.

Ah, right on.. I read them say it was a ghost. I figured it might be someone else (maybe the knight of flowers) dressed in his suit or just a lie altogether
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #1041
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Ah, right on.. I read them say it was a ghost. I figured it might be someone else (maybe the knight of flowers) dressed in his suit or just a lie altogether

Your guess is as close as you're capable of being at this point.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #1042
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Something in book 4 got me pretty pissed when I was reading yesterday: How is GRRM just going to get rid of Davos like that? I'm hoping this guy pulled a Theon and used someone elses head and spared Davos, but I doubt it because he wanted his son back in return. I just hate how he was done away with like he was nothing.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #1043
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

I have 5 chapters left in book 4 and I have to say the book gets really interesting towards the end. It's definetly underrated. Some of the things that are being planned are just...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #1044
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I'm really pissed off that there's no Lord Snow in book four so I haven't read anything in two days. I was actually thinking today I'd take a break from this series and start on the Dark Tower but I know there's good stuff waiting for me in book 5 [i hope], so I'll just plow through book 4 this weekend and hopefully finish next week.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #1045
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
HBO’s Programming President assures fans that Game of Thrones won’t get Deadwooded or Romed. “I can promise you that we won’t stop it before it’s ready to stop,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association press junket yesterday.

HBO Co-President Richard Pepler added, “We told George [RR Martin] we’d go as long as he kept writing.”

But wait! That’s not exactly a promise that the show will last as long as the books. For one thing, HBO says that they’re not entirely committed to the idea of one book equals one season. That’s actually good news for those who suffered through A Feast For Crows. And while they’re committed to the show, the HBO suits say that a lot of this rests on the shoulders of David Benioff and DB Weiss.

From Hitfix:

“I think the challenge for us is always, how long do the creators want to stay with the show?” Lombardo ponders. “Dan and David have signed on for a couple years and we’re going to have that conversations with them every couple years,” Lombardo adds.

So it sounds to me like HBO intends to end Game of Thrones fully and totally, but that the show may not end the same as the books – or could even end before the books. Think of it as the Scott Pilgrim option, where the movie has a different ending than the comic series. It seems smart of them to guarantee a finale, because this is a show that will sell like mad in the home video market, and having an unfinished series will eventually hurt those sales.

By the way, don’t get your hopes up for longer seasons. Again, from HitFix:

“If we could do 12 episodes of a show like ‘Game of Thrones,’ we would,” Lombardo says. He says that “there is no way they could physically do more than 10,” without sacrificing quality.

Not sure what to think of this.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #1046
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I'm really pissed off that there's no Lord Snow in book four so I haven't read anything in two days. I was actually thinking today I'd take a break from this series and start on the Dark Tower but I know there's good stuff waiting for me in book 5 [i hope], so I'll just plow through book 4 this weekend and hopefully finish next week.
Although I personally am not satisfied with ADWD at all, I strongly recommend that you do not switch series until you are finished with it. AFFC and ADWD are actually one book split into two.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #1047
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Not sure what to think of this.
This piece of news is actually very promising, my prediction is that the show will be like this:
Season 1: AGOT
Season 2: ACOK
Season 3: ASOS
Season 4: ASOS AFFC
Season 5: ADWD TWOW
Season 6: ADOS and possible book 8
Old 07-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #1048
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

I think since this thread now contains some major spoilers for people who've only watched the first season and/or read the first book, the thread title should be changed to include a warning. I am expecting books 2-4 in the mail within the next few days and almost ruined everything by reading this thread!

Luckily I knew better and only scanned some posts quickly, others might not be so lucky!
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #1049
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
This piece of news is actually very promising, my prediction is that the show will be like this:
Season 1: AGOT
Season 2: ACOK
Season 3: ASOS
Season 4: ASOS AFFC
Season 5: ADWD TWOW
Season 6: ADOS and possible book 8

Possible book 8? I thought he was only doing 7 and that was the end of it?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #1050
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Possible book 8? I thought he was only doing 7 and that was the end of it?
Thats my personal opinion after reading ADWD.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: