Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #1081
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

For all of those who finished book 5: I'm not sold on Ramsay Bolton's letter. He says he defeated Stannis but he wants Theon returned to him. If he defeated Stannis wouldn't he have Theon? The only way this could be a problem is if Theon escaped before any attack was made, or during the attack.

What do you guys think?
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #1082
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm not even close to the end, I'd say just less than halfway, and I'd already say that book five is much better than book four. But that's to be expected to some degree. It's got Jon and Tyrion in it, replacing Sam and the worst of Arya. And I actually liked all the Dornish stuff in AFFC, which I know some people didn't. Along with all the Cersei stuff which carried that book.
Im about 40% into AFFC.. I dont really dig the dornish portions.. Cersei and the rest is interesting.. Im trying to rush trough the book to get to some more Jon/Tyrion content..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #1083
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Im about 40% into AFFC.. I dont really dig the dornish portions.. Cersei and the rest is interesting.. Im trying to rush trough the book to get to some more Jon/Tyrion content..

Dont worry...by the end of the 4th book you should have some interest for the Dornish story. The final Dorne chapter in that book is powerful.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #1084
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Dont worry...by the end of the 4th book you should have some interest for the Dornish story. The final Dorne chapter in that book is powerful.
Nice.. Ill make sure to pay attention then.. thanks for the heads up.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #1085
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

So I finished book 5 and I thought of a possible direction GRRM might be going in. Spoilers if you havent read book 5.

“It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”
--Melisandre, SoS, pg. 289

Many people speculate what the red star meant. There is a theory that a dragon lived under the crypts in Winterfell. In ACOK it is believed that the dragon was woken.

("This theory comes from something seen from Summer’s point of view on CoK, pg. 956

The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone.

Others claim that the vision Summer saw was not a real dragon, but merely a prophetic vision, or perhaps his interpretation of the comet in the sky. However, Osha says something interesting in the same chapter, CoK pg. 964

“We made enough noise to wake a dragon.”)

So the Red Star has bled now Darkness needs to gather. I believe the darkness gathering is the coming of Winter, which happens around the time of Jon Snows death.

I believe Melisandre who is a red priest will use her power to give a new life to Jon Snow.

Also when Jon Snow is dieing it says "in the cold night air the wound was smoking."

Another good point is when Melisandre was looking in the night fires for Stannis she thinks "I pray for a vision of Azor Ahai, and R'Hllor shows me only Snow"

Now at this time Stannis is marching through the snow storm to Winterfell but I think that was meant to throw the reader off and the vision really is telling Melisandre that Jon Snow is Azor Ahai.
Jon Snow= Azor Ahai Reborn?

Last edited by Bano114 : 08-25-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #1086
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
[/color]
Although the reasoning behind your conclusion is not valid IMO, but its Jon Snow= Azor Ahai is very probable.
Regarding Bolton's letter, its probably a mix of truth and lie with the part about Mance being true while I dont personally believe he has defeated Stannis.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #1087
dunksby
NBA Superstar

So I re-watched Batman Begins just now and to my surprise:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...703h43m40.png/
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #1088
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
So I re-watched Batman Begins just now and to my surprise:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...703h43m40.png/

Aint that some shit...isn't that the commisioners son? I was actually pullin for him then....now I hate this kid.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #1089
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
So I finished book 5 and I thought of a possible direction GRRM might be going in. Spoilers if you havent read book 5.

[color="White"]“It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”
--Melisandre, SoS, pg. 289

COLOR]

I sorta figured that was pretty directly about Dany. The red star was bleeding, she did get born again amidst smoke and did wake dragons out of eggs that were repeatedly described as polished stones.

It could be a misdirection, but it's pretty well on the nose.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #1090
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I made that connection recently as well. Spoilers: Also, Kahl Drogo would be the "kings blood" that Melisandre said was needed.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1091
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Finally got through ASOS after putting it down for a while. God damn that was a great read, the 1200 or so pages just flew by

2 things (***SPOILERS***)- 1) Petyr Baelish is the Machiavelli of Westeros and a BAMF, no one is in a more prime position to snatch the iron throne than him- he's got Harrenhal, the Vale, and he's holding the (assumed) heir to Winterfell hostage, and he killed off Jon Arryn and Joffrey while fomenting the clash between the Lannisters and Starks, causing the war of the 5 Kings. BAMF. 2) Loved the way it ended with the resurrection of Catelyn, did not see that coming
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1092
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Finally got through ASOS after putting it down for a while. God damn that was a great read, the 1200 or so pages just flew by

2 things (***SPOILERS***)- 1) Petyr Baelish is the Machiavelli of Westeros and a BAMF, no one is in a more prime position to snatch the iron throne than him- he's got Harrenhal, the Vale, and he's holding the (assumed) heir to Winterfell hostage, and he killed off Jon Arryn and Joffrey while fomenting the clash between the Lannisters and Starks, causing the war of the 5 Kings. BAMF. 2) Loved the way it ended with the resurrection of Catelyn, did not see that coming

Don't sleep on Varys though. Those 2 are the front runners IMO.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #1093
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Is Varys trying to get the throne too? Who would want a eunich on the throne, he'd most likely have a figure head for king, right?

I think he's trying to get a certain Targaryen on the throne so they would remember him and be greatful.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #1094
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
My new favorite conspiracy theory in Westeros is what lies beneath Winterfell. Bran's dream/Summers Pov. The heated waters that flow beneath the castle to heat the walls. Asha says that it was loud enough to wake a _________. What's going on down under...

That one seems to be getting a lot of play.

I haven't finished book five yet. I'm a little more than half way through (with coaching football soaking up an extra 10-15 hours a week, on top of the nearly sixty I work every week, my spare time has dwindled rapidly), Tyrion is on the Stinky Maiden with Mormont and Penny making his way to Danerys.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me Tyrion will be accepted, probably reluctantly, and eventually become an asset to Dany, and as much as Tyrion is an outcast seemingly not liked by anyone, the one character with whom he still has an extremely positive relationship would be Jon Snow (and I haven't gotten to JS's "death" either, although death seems to be pretty fickle since The Red Wedding), so it's possible that he winds up being the connection between the two.

Theon has been an incredible story arch. Rarely does a character go from sort of blah, to sort of a darkhorse really likeable character, to somewhat sympathetic due to his relationship to his family, his father and Asha, to downright loathsome, to the point where he was neck and neck with Walder Frey, and finally to someone who's completely sympathetic. That's been a hell of rollercoaster.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #1095
Thorpesaurous

Varys and Littlefinger both sort of fell of the face of Westeros after their last major moves. Exporting T and S respectively. Particularly Varys.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: