Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #1081
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
let me ask u guys a question. If i skip to where the HBO series ended where would that be in the books, and would i be missing out on a lot? i think this was maybe asked somewhere earlier in this thread but i'm not about to wade thru it, and it wasn't relevant at the time so i didn't bother to remember.

just sux reading stuff i already saw happened, want to get to stuff that is new.

thx
the hbo version is pretty accurate although it has a few editorial changes. you will be missing out on alot of small details and POV motivations if you skip on the book though.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #1082
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the hbo version is pretty accurate although it has a few editorial changes. you will be missing out on alot of small details and POV motivations if you skip on the book though.

ok then i guess i'll push thru. its at least ez to read but really sux reading stuff i already saw.

thx
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #1083
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Season one ends pretty much dead in line with the end of book one.

It's a pretty easy read though, and worth going through. You'll get a lot more detail out of the book, even though the show did an excellent job translating.

yeah i think i'll go with u guys advice and push thru. it is a ez read, or easier than i thought it would be.

thx again
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1084
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Asha cast is perfect and I still dont get the name change, Osha was never even called by name in the show. If we ask ppl here who have only watched the show I dont think anyone of them could refer to her by name. Even if thats the case, you dont change the name of a major character over a minor one and its not like the writers did not know Asha was gonna show up and are now stuck with that problem.

Based on the extremely limited number of pictures I've seen, she does look like she could pull off Asha, who's defining physical characteristic is her squared, I'd call Roman, nose. But she's gotta have a good body, and more importantly, she's got to exude a flirty arrogance. She's one of my favorite characters.

I can see the name change being of some import. You could make the case that Osha is at least as major a character as Asha. She appears sooner, and has a prominent relationship with Bran, and when she finally disappears it is with Rickon, so she may very well come back with some value later on. Asha appears later in book two, has a memorable but short stint while Theon is on the Iron Islands. Then disappears until Theon's can't seem to hold Winterfell, makes a brief appearence there. Then she pops back up with the Reader prior to the Kingsmoot, does the Kingsmoot, and after that disappears again.

I still don't think it's necessary, but I can live with it. They changed Lisa Arryn's son from Robert (named after Robert Baratheon), to Robyn, for clarification too. It's less noticable because King Robert is dead by the time Robyn becomes at all prominent, and the names are so close anyway. But I don't think that was necessary either.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #1085
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Based on the extremely limited number of pictures I've seen, she does look like she could pull off Asha, who's defining physical characteristic is her squared, I'd call Roman, nose. But she's gotta have a good body, and more importantly, she's got to exude a flirty arrogance. She's one of my favorite characters.

I can see the name change being of some import. You could make the case that Osha is at least as major a character as Asha. She appears sooner, and has a prominent relationship with Bran, and when she finally disappears it is with Rickon, so she may very well come back with some value later on. Asha appears later in book two, has a memorable but short stint while Theon is on the Iron Islands. Then disappears until Theon's can't seem to hold Winterfell, makes a brief appearence there. Then she pops back up with the Reader prior to the Kingsmoot, does the Kingsmoot, and after that disappears again.

I still don't think it's necessary, but I can live with it. They changed Lisa Arryn's son from Robert (named after Robert Baratheon), to Robyn, for clarification too. It's less noticable because King Robert is dead by the time Robyn becomes at all prominent, and the names are so close anyway. But I don't think that was necessary either.

i think the name change is good. osha and asha sound way to similar. osha's supporting role is pretty important to the younger stark brothers.

even reading the books it can get confusing with all the similar names. aerys, aegon, aerion, aegar, aemon, drogon, drogo, etc etc

Last edited by rezznor : 08-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #1086
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Dont have a problem with Robyn since its even better suited as he is a weakling. But seriously YARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit sounds like a dwarf jouster's stage name
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #1087
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Dont have a problem with Robyn since its even better suited as he is a weakling. But seriously YARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit sounds like a dwarf jouster's stage name
it's their viking battle cry
Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #1088
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm down to reading one chapter a night. I made the critical error of volunteering as an assistant coach to a pop warner team aged 5-7, which is really really really young ... for the uninitiated.

My buddy has a daughter who cheerleads, and the practices and games overlap, so he last year he helped out, and this year he decided to take on the head coaching spot. He was beggaring for help, and I said yes.

We have absolutely no idea what we're doing. It's incredibly frustrating. I have coaching experience, but basketball, and at the middle school through high school levels. I know enough football, but I don't even know where to begin with kids this young.

... anyway ... because of that, I've slowed down a lot. But I'm about two thirds through book four. I just finished a Brienne chapter last night where she arrives at the Saltpans with the Septon and Dog, and her Night guy and Podrick.

I like the Jamie stuff as he's headed back to Riverrun. His run in with Lancel was good stuff, and Lancel's Darry wife I find intrigueing.

Cersei's rearming the faith seems like it's gonna be a major problem down the road. The Sparrows are a pain in the ass.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #1089
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
I'm down to reading one chapter a night. I made the critical error of volunteering as an assistant coach to a pop warner team aged 5-7, which is really really really young ... for the uninitiated.

My buddy has a daughter who cheerleads, and the practices and games overlap, so he last year he helped out, and this year he decided to take on the head coaching spot. He was beggaring for help, and I said yes.

We have absolutely no idea what we're doing. It's incredibly frustrating. I have coaching experience, but basketball, and at the middle school through high school levels. I know enough football, but I don't even know where to begin with kids this young.

... anyway ... because of that, I've slowed down a lot. But I'm about two thirds through book four. I just finished a Brienne chapter last night where she arrives at the Saltpans with the Septon and Dog, and her Night guy and Podrick.

I like the Jamie stuff as he's headed back to Riverrun. His run in with Lancel was good stuff, and Lancel's Darry wife I find intrigueing.

Cersei's rearming the faith seems like it's gonna be a major problem down the road. The Sparrows are a pain in the ass.
great observation
Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #1090
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
great observation

Jamie kind of slaps you in the face with it when he's meeting with Lancel. Lancel intends to join them (I can't remember what they're called), and Jamie can't understand why Cersei would agree to it when the Targaryens spent 200 years trying to get them disarmed.

I know I'm not supposed to, but I like Cersei ... almost like I've been sucked in through the text just like the characters, because she's hot and charming. Even with the background of knowing her dark secrets and motives, I still find myself liking her. She wipes out the crazy broad chart.
I would not be opposed to her winding up truely at war with the faith, because I already dislike the new High Septon, and her having an enemy I dislike will allow me to like her more, and I can relate already to disliking religous fanatics anyway.

I despise Walder Frey. He cannot get it bad enough as far as I'm concerned, and he better, or I will be exceptionally disappointed.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #1091
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/65...of-thrones-rpg

this is great
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #1092
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

just watched the series. Amazing show. I'm gonna buy the books too.

Only decision left is paperback or hardcover?

Quote:

I'm just gonna read the first book. I hear it is worth it.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #1093
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

I thought about not doing it, glad I did.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #1094
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

I bought the paperback for reading and the hardcover for my collection. Had to buy the hardcover for the 5th book though since it came out earlier.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #1095
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton

I would totally play that game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: