Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #121
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harion
if you haven't read the books, then i should like to point out that the Kingslayer was part of the Kingsguard (kind of like the secret service) so that alone leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Imagine if one of the secret service killed the president. not to mention that the Lannisters (the kingslayer's family) joined them in the war when it was all too obvious they would win. right up until the last minute, the Lannisters stayed neutral. what makes it equally bad was that they were able to kill the mad king through treachery. they took the castle by treachery, not by force. Tywin Lannister, the then Hand of the King (and the father of the twins) arrived at the gate and the Mad King thought he was there to join their side, opened the gates and let the Lannisters in. that was when the Kingslayer turned around and killed the King he swore to protect. This, in a day and age when chivalry and honor is everything to men. You get this? And Ned Stark is the biggest uptight dick there is when it comes to honor and stuff. He's the sort of man who'll say, "Pick up your sword. I refuse to kill a man without sword," kind-of-guy. He's the sort of guy who'll see you as worse than scum if you broke your oath.

Robert (the present king) is mighty grateful for the Lannisters though for ending the war easily. His hatred of the Mad King is so great he'd overlook anything so long as it brought about the Mad king's downfall. if you notice, in episode 3, when he finds out Daenerys Targaryen (one of the last living descendant of the Mad king; the other one was Viserys - the one who sold his sister to get an army) was pregnant, he literally wanted to send out an assassin to kill both Daenerys and the unborn child. Ned (the ever honorable guy) dissuades him of this and they argue saying they are not into killing children (Daenerys is just 13 or 14 in the books) and unborn kids. In the sacking of the palace (in the war), the Lannisters killed the then queen and her children (a small kid and a babe) to prove to Robert they really were joining his side. When Ned Stark arrives in the palace, this grisly act leaves even more of a bad taste in his mouth. as you've probably guessed, Ned Stark is not into the killing of women and children, even if it is war. Robert, in his unending hatred for the Mad king and all Targaryen-related things (Targaryen is the Mad king's line) overlooks this grisly act and calls the Lannisters murder of the queen and her children as proof of their loyalty to him.

backgrounder: to understand Robert's hate of the Targaryens, you have to look back at the cause of the war. Robert is bethrothed to Ned Stark's sister, Lyanna. He loves Lyanna like the moon and stars, yada, yada. Rhaegar Targaryen, the prince, kidnaps Lyanna (a page right out of Troy). and of course, a war starts because of this. Lyanna dies before the rescue arrives and the rest, as they say, is history. Robert kills Rhaegar on the Trident River, and the Mad King is killed by Jaime Lannister. and since then, Robert will kill anyone named Targaryen.

all of this would be understood better if you read a bit of background (spoilers)
here

Why then the passive agressive dislike of Jamie Lanister by King Robert? It's not like he knows that the guy is nailing his wife / his sister.

I would think that Robert would pamper the guy for turning on The Mad King. But instead he belittles him.

Ned I get. There's consistency in the way he behaves. But I haven't quite figured out the motive for Robert's opinion of Jamie.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #122
Harion
Banned

that part isn't in the books. in the books, Robert isn't derogatory to Jaime. only tolerant. he tolerates Jaime because he is the queen's twin. but make no mistake, Robert thinks little of Jaime's namby-pamby sword skills and thinks he's just the by-product of Lannister gold (Lannisters own the gold mines. they mine and mint the gold coins. hence the "crown" being in debt to them. they're like the bankers of the kingdom).
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #123
tian820
NBA lottery pick

Just watched all four episodes and read up in here. This story and world seems pretty fantastic, almost makes me want to even read the books. Maybe I will at some point, but for now the show will do. Happy I stumbled upon this thread
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #124
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

I read the wiki and spoiled it for myself

But a lot of you were alluding to it but I guess I was just oblivious.

I didn't see the part where the queen and Jamie were getting it on and the young Stark saw them?? I watched the premiere episode like 3x and was looking for it the last time????

I think Snow is a gangsta, and I think the queen is fine as hell, too bad she is mean.

The King is pretty awesome too, but he is kinda shoot from the hip, thats is gonna cause him trouble.

The guy who gave his sister to Khal Drago is an a-hole, I wanna sock that chump
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #125
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

I don't want you guys to spoil me but is this spoiler able to be predicted or completely out of nowhere?
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #126
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Lightbulb Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
I don't want you guys to spoil me but is this spoiler able to be predicted or completely out of nowhere?

I think you can figure it out based on the present goings on, its not like something very out of the blue.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #127
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
they've been hinting at it since the first episode.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #128
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
I read the wiki and spoiled it for myself

But a lot of you were alluding to it but I guess I was just oblivious.

I didn't see the part where the queen and Jamie were getting it on and the young Stark saw them?? I watched the premiere episode like 3x and was looking for it the last time????

I think Snow is a gangsta, and I think the queen is fine as hell, too bad she is mean.

The King is pretty awesome too, but he is kinda shoot from the hip, thats is gonna cause him trouble.

The guy who gave his sister to Khal Drago is an a-hole, I wanna sock that chump
the last scene in episode 1, right before Bran gets thrown out the window
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #129
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor

dammit, now I gotta go watch it again, was it a quick scene? I was so shocked during episode 2, I was lost for a good minute like wtf happened

I saw it during the episode 2 review before the episode, but not during the actual show.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #130
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:

They had their clothes on which kinda took away from the visuals.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #131
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
They had their clothes on which kinda took away from the visuals.
yeah that sucked, he was doing her doggy style with her dress on i think
Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #132
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
dammit, now I gotta go watch it again, was it a quick scene? I was so shocked during episode 2, I was lost for a good minute like wtf happened

I saw it during the episode 2 review before the episode, but not during the actual show.
yeah, bran was climbing the tower, hears some grunting and moaning so he heads to the window to investigate, queen and brother were going doggy style and queen looks up and sees bran watching from the window. jaimie grabs bran and tosses him out the window.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #133
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
I think you can figure it out based on the present goings on, its not like something very out of the blue.

I actually guessed it in this very thread. I think it's easier to tell in the show than the books.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #134
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
just the first book?
Almost done with the second book 'A Clash of Kings'. I have about 130 pages to go..

Really looking forward to 'A Storm of Swords' since Ive heard its past paced and filled with action..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #135
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Bump.

Any thoughts on Ep. 5?
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: