Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1456
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I got stop coming into this thread, too many semi spoilers and questions that drive me crazy.I already found out about dany thanks to this thread
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #1457
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
What family is going to side with the Lannisters?

the Hobbits, they have alot in common with Tyrion
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1458
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I remember the Jon Snow following Craster with the son in the books but I remember Craster giving them to the wolves...not the others. (white text) If anything it could lead to him being sodomized by Sam.

As far as the Stannis and Melisandre thing...im 99% sure that did happen because...(white text **dont read if you dont want to know anything coming up in season 2* major spoiler*) who cares so long as I get to see some naked ginger.

Im pretty sure one of those 3 she sent out in the books died, but I dont think he was sent back, I think he just never came back from the red waste. I think they were just trying to establish that Dany isn't considered a Khalissi by other Khals. And I know for a fact there are only 2 blood riders in the rest of her story...."It is Known"

The first one I could see them working their way around because what Jon saw could be hidden from The Bear for a for a couple reasons. One, he was already being reprimanded for butting into the business with Craster, and it may behoove him to not expose the fact that he tailed the guy into the woods. The other thing is that it could be used as a motive to drag Gilly along, which isn't exactly how it happens in the books, but it'd be a reasonable shortcut, and if they drag her along, that's certainly something that's gonna have to be kept under wraps.

The second, your memory is correct. I do question the how necessary it was to show it while at the same time trying to establish him as this extra stuffy, morally rigid, beacon of integrity.

Dany's story continues to be the most shortcutted. I don't recall him dieing either, and I'm certain he didn't during this scouting trip, but it's kind of a quicker way to get to her being marked by the other Khals. There's so much wondering out of her it's really hard to remember what happened when exactly.

In the trailer I spotted the fat Pit Fighter guy who I look very forward too. There's a secret there that I look forward to seeing how the show handles.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #1459
Thorpesaurous

This is the episode write up from Grantland. I really like the work here, it's usually funny but still appropriately serious. And it's authored without any book knowledge, so it's spoiler free. One of the reason I posted it is because it's interesting to hear someone do this type of analysis and know that he's completely wrong in some spots. It makes me recognize where the storytelling is flawed. I'm gonna put some notes in White that you can read if you're a book guy or just want some more insight.

ďI donít imagine itíll be a story fit for children,Ē the grim, Greta Gerwig-ish warrioress Yara Greyjoy declares, while being Littlefingered by her fancy brother on horseback (I feel obligated to point out that in the book that while she's extremely flirty with Theon and teases him, she does push him away when he gets too handsy, which she doesn't in the show. Her name is Asha in the book, and she's among my favorite characters.). The savage babycide of last week certainly should have made that clear for the viewer and, if not, last nightís glimpse of male birth control measures beyond the wall was an unwelcome reminder: Game of Thrones is most certainly not suitable for all ages. But the dark ďThe Night LandsĒ made me consider Yaraís pronouncement in a different way. Itís not just that children shouldnít watch this story. Itís that itís incredibly hard to be someoneís child within the story as well. Parents in the Seven Kingdoms appear to be as cruel and capricious as kings. Worse, itís a lifetime position.

Ned Stark was the only good father weíve seen, and in return for his self-abasing attempt to protect his children last season, he ended up with his head on a pike. Now his orphans are scattered like so many action figures on Stannisís Great Iron Sex Table. Arya is attempting to hide her second X chromosome by hanging out with the XXX vulgarians en route to the Nightís Watch, but Iím glad her bull-helmeted bastard buddy called her on it because, really, how could she be fooling anyone? Maisie Williamsís peepers are large and luminous enough to be worn as jewelery by that dandy Theon! She looks like sheís trying out for the role of Fantine in the worldís least sanitary production of Les Miserables! Anyway, after the commander chases some royal goons back to Crotch Landing by pointing a sword at their king (or the other way around), Gendry calls Arya on her reverse-Tootsie act. But when he finds out who she really is, heís abashed (he believed her all to quick here). ďAll that about cocks, I should never have said it. Iíve been pissing in front of you and everything.Ē Flirtatious banter! (Fun fact: These same lines of dialogue were spoken by Katherine Heigl in 27 Dresses.) But it turns out Gendryís parenting history is no less sad: His bar-wench mom passed on when he was a kid. And though the goons were after him, he has no idea that itís because his father was the wine-drunk, boar-averse King Robert.

Combine these two twisted family trees and you get Jon Snow: His father was Ned Stark, but his mother is as mysterious as whatever huffing-and-puffing snow beast made off with Crasterís latest grandson/son (Uhh ... this may work even better on TV than in the rich deep written narrative). (Early guesses include a Yeti, a Minotaur, or a Nick Nolte.) With such a bad backstory itís no wonder that Jonís unable to act tough in the face of his buddy Samís puppy love for Gilly, one of Crasterís pregnant daughter/wives (played with toothy gravity by the great Skins veteran Hannah Murray). Itís Jonís curiosity about what will happen to Gillyís baby that leads him out of the camp (although, really, is it so hard to figure out?) and what earns him a concussion at the hands of his monstrous host at episodeís end.

Over on the Iron Islands ó picture that on a holiday brochure! ó Theon has an undressed party below the decks for the seasonís first instance of pure sexposition (this term was coined in these articles last year to explain those parts of the show where someone seems to be speaking in exposition, where it really feels like it isn't taken from the text, and has been added at lenghth to help clarify some broad concept in the book. For whatever reason, it seemed to happen frequently over a sex scene last year. Oddly, this one actually is taken almost verbatum from the books, however there was another one in this episode, the one with the spying on the spy in the brothel scene with Littlefinger. Littlefinger also had the first "sexposition" this season, when he confronted Cersie in episode one. Neither one I'm crazy about because they make him seem less underhanded than he does in the books. He's almost too bold and brash here, not quite sneaky enough, but it's a small gripe), , and then is promptly dressed down by his craggy would-be king of a father. Heís been gone nine years in the care/captivity of the Starks, and he doesnít even get complimented on his well-groomed Vandyke, let alone a hug. Balon barely turns from his ornate octopus fireplace to greet his wayward son. Instead, he reintroduces Theon to his riding partner/sister (more multihyphenates on this show than on IMDB, amirite?) and announces, ironically, that it will be Yara leading the Iron ships into battle. Oh, and it seems like theyíll be taking their Kingdom back from the Starks directly, thank you very much, not helping them take Kingís Landing. This is terribly rough for Theon and his dual loyalties (and for us, to be honest: Did his family know he was coming? Or were they really delaying their own battle plans for a little convenient comeuppance?). All parents disparage their kidsí fashion, but there arenít many that allow their sons to almost screw their daughters before screwing them over so completely.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1460
Thorpesaurous

The only quasi-sweet parent-child relationship on display was over in Dragonstone, where Davos (the smuggler turned knight, not the global economic conference) tries to help his moon-faced son see beyond the fire-god worship thatís consumed him. Davos is a likable sort, and not only because he has cool pirate friends like Salladhor Saan, the first person of color to grace snow-white Westeros. (Salladhor is a man with simple dreams, including gold, glory, and having Queen Cersei walk his gangplank.) Davos seems devoted to Stannis ó even though Stannis still seems more overwhelmed than deserving ó but equally interested in teaching his son some hard-earned wisdom about the way the world works: A life canít be saved by lighting a candle and whispering words. Sometimes more aggressive action is required. Davos is illiterate, but he can read a situation better than most. (Though itís almost tragic that the best parenting weíve seen comes from a man who was absent for most of his sonís life. No wonder the kid needs a higher power.) Stannis is childless (his sick wife is Rapunzeled away in a tower somewhere, apparently) (This isn't really accurate. Stannis does have a daughter who is stricken ill, it's just that he doesn't have a male heir that his wife seems unable to provide. One of the odd things about Stannis' quick clear and go nailing of Melisandre is that it's made pretty clear that Stannis isn't exactly what you'd call a passionate dude. It's said that he lays with his wife but twice a year out of duty. The sick daughter will become somewhat prominent as time moves on, but it's interesting that reading a guy who's exclusively a viewer that he is left out of the notion that Stannis has a daughter) but when his Wiccan consigliere offers her body instead of advice, heís quick to take it: Everyone on the ďsafeĒ side of the wall is desperate for a son, but for all the wrong reasons.

So maybe itís not a surprise that the smartest guy in the room is the one who no one wanted at all. Peter Dinklage is really taking Tyrion to an entirely different level this season, tempering the jokes with grace notes of patience and potent displays of soft power. He may be half his size, but heís twice the player Ned Stark ever was, nimbly disarming both Lord Varys ó whose social call was immediately understood as a friendly act of frontstabbing ó and Lord Slynt, the suddenly former head of the City Watch. Tyrionís scenes with Cersei were delightful, not only because Lena Headey has also kicked it into a far more interesting gear this season (how is it possible to feel this much sympathy for an incestuous, power-grabbing Lady Macbeth?) (I couldn't agree more. Cersie has become one of my favorite characters, and it's in large part because she does vascilate between being absolutely loathsome and utterly sympathetic, and frankly she's become sympathetic faster in the show than she did even in the book I think in no small part due to how Lena Headley has portrayed her, just in little stuff like posture, and with a few of the liberties the show has taken, like some of the treatment she's gotten from Joffrey. Frankly Joffrey's spectacular performance has also helped this cause.), but because they reminded us of the great ocean of pain that lurks beneath his 24 Hour Party Person exterior. ďYouíve always been funny,Ē Cersei mumurs, cruelly. ďBut none of your jokes will ever match the first one. Back when you ripped my mother open on your way out of her and she bled to death.Ē Motherless and blamed for it by his preening Aryan siblings, Tyrion was always going to be removed from normalcy. But his size seems to be something of a blessing: Not only does it give him a different point of view, but it gives him a different perspective altogether. Being blindly bound to family can be as fatal as pledging allegiance to the wrong king.

Acolytes of George R.R. Martin like to trumpet the ways in which their hero has subverted the typical genre expectations of fantasy, but a lot of the evidence tends to focus on the boinking and the bawdy language. Could it be that the most insidious of all Martinís tweaks lies in upending the traditional primacy of family loyalty? Every sword-íní-sorcery saga, from Tolkien to Camelot, is stuffed with page after page stressing the importance of bloodlines. Yet everyone always seems to end up bloody. Maybe Martin is suggesting that the only smart way to stay alive is either to be a bastard or to act like one.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #1461
Cangri
Local High School Star

Seems like the 3rd season is already coming

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2012/04/gam...-for-season-3/
Cangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1462
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Hipster Game of Thrones

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1463
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1464
bada bing
College star

i never read teh books.

so in the show it appears they will not be showing actual battles. At least thats how it appears so far. In the books, is there graphic description of battle scenes or is it similar to how the tv show illustrates battles?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #1465
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Hipster Game of Thrones

I love how i automatically read this in the Imps voice..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #1466
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Goddamn Renly's wife is hot.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #1467
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Goddamn Renly's wife is hot.

Yeah, great job with Margery Terrell.

I really liked it last night. I thought they handled the Imp's red herring plot exceptionally well. It was also split up in a nice fashion. Less bouncing around, and more of four distinct parts. Jon Snow. Renly/Cat. Imp. Arya. Nothing from Dany. It works best when they focus on different stuff episode to episode, rather than trying to move the entire story forward in a single episode, which means you get trimmed down sections on everything that wind up making less sense.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #1468
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, great job with Margery Terrell.

I really liked it last night. I thought they handled the Imp's red herring plot exceptionally well. It was also split up in a nice fashion. Less bouncing around, and more of four distinct parts. Jon Snow. Renly/Cat. Imp. Arya. Nothing from Dany. It works best when they focus on different stuff episode to episode, rather than trying to move the entire story forward in a single episode, which means you get trimmed down sections on everything that wind up making less sense.

The way they depicted Margery was surprising to me. You can tell from the books that she has a certain conniving nature but it's way more subtle. Same with the Renly-Loras relationship. It's hinted at but nothing as graphic as what was shown last night. Still I like the way HBO is handling it, only more naked Margery and less gay make-out scenes please.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #1469
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The way they depicted Margery was surprising to me. You can tell from the books that she has a certain conniving nature but it's way more subtle. Same with the Renly-Loras relationship. It's hinted at but nothing as graphic as what was shown last night. Still I like the way HBO is handling it, only more naked Margery and less gay make-out scenes please.

Yeah, my opinion of them doing a great job with Marjery is more that she was hot and naked than I felt she was depicted particularly well from the book. I agree it's much more subtle in the book. In fact she almost comes off as a bit naive in the books at time, nowhere near that agressive. And the Renly Loras relationship I don't see at all in the books really. The snarky sarcastic Renly remark about "Marjery's a virgin?" was an interesting touch.

The other big alteration from the book I noticed was that I felt like the Arya raid scene was timed out differently in the book. Didn't they get away, through the trap door, and wound up hiding in the woods with the four of them, then getting caught later? It felt like they compressed a bunch stuff into one shorter sequence. I don't feel at all like it was for the worse however. Frankly Arya's road trip can get a little confusing after a while, so to trim out a thing or two here or there isn't gonna be the end of the world.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #1470
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The other big alteration from the book I noticed was that I felt like the Arya raid scene was timed out differently in the book. Didn't they get away, through the trap door, and wound up hiding in the woods with the four of them, then getting caught later? It felt like they compressed a bunch stuff into one shorter sequence. I don't feel at all like it was for the worse however. Frankly Arya's road trip can get a little confusing after a while, so to trim out a thing or two here or there isn't gonna be the end of the world.

Yeah that bit of editing seemed to tidy things up a bit and keep the story moving forward. All of the books have just a little too much journeying going on imo. Also, Brienne was just how I pictured her. Where did they find a chick that huge?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: