Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default '93 Charles Barkley finals team

I just watched a Hardwood Classics DVD of Chuck and all I have to say is I'm blown away. I've watched footage and highlights but never a full story... and such an in depth documentary.

The passion and fire this guy had to lead his team twice that year in playoff comebacks after being down... and his willpower to beat the Sonics who double and triple teamed him all game was astonishing. I never realized just how good he was. Outplaying Shawn Kemp, David Robinson and the Lakers with pure hustle and energy. Only the mighty Bulls could stop Barkley from winning a ring.

I now understand the Blake Griffin comparisons that threw me off. Barkley was very guard like the way he ran the fastbreak.. and his passing was awesome. I will say Blake is nowhere near as skilled as Barkley when it comes to running a fastbreak and breaking down guys off the dribble.

Point is Barkley was a damn beast and I was inspired to write a thread about him.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: '93 Charles Barkley finals team

I think young Barkley when he was on the Sixers was even better. He was a smarter basketball player on the Suns, but he was a surprisingly athletic scorer, and a total monster on the boards in his Philly days.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
kaiiu
Banned

Barkley was an animal man
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I think young Barkley when he was on the Sixers was even better. He was a smarter basketball player on the Suns, but he was a surprisingly athletic scorer, and a total monster on the boards in his Philly days.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/barkely_chat_040316.html

"I feel like I was a much better player in Philadelphia, but I had a better team experience in Phoenix. It's just a great feeling. It's hard to explain it."

His top season was '89-'90. Slotted in the lineup on paper as the small forward he was versatile enough to play either forward position. His defense may have been questioned throughout his career as a 6'5 PF, however he was always an excellent shot blocker. Mahorn was also a big boost for the team that won 53 games + the Atlantic Division Championship at the end of the regular season with a big game from Barkley vs defending champion Bad Boy Pistons. Not too many 6'5 players would be dominant enough to lead the league for many years in 2 point FG%.

Easily the best Sixers team of the past 25 years, though the roster depth was lacking.

PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I just watched a Hardwood Classics DVD of Chuck and all I have to say is I'm blown away. I've watched footage and highlights but never a full story... and such an in depth documentary.

The passion and fire this guy had to lead his team twice that year in playoff comebacks after being down... and his willpower to beat the Sonics who double and triple teamed him all game was astonishing. I never realized just how good he was. Outplaying Shawn Kemp, David Robinson and the Lakers with pure hustle and energy. Only the mighty Bulls could stop Barkley from winning a ring.

I now understand the Blake Griffin comparisons that threw me off. Barkley was very guard like the way he ran the fastbreak.. and his passing was awesome. I will say Blake is nowhere near as skilled as Barkley when it comes to running a fastbreak and breaking down guys off the dribble.

Point is Barkley was a damn beast and I was inspired to write a thread about him.

Barkley like Bird and Magic where players that u could not classify in a single position

We will never see another 6`4 3/4 post player as strong and as skilled as Barkley was

He was like a 6`4 Shaq with Guard like Handles and Instincts

He forced Rule Changes unlike so many Hyped Up Players of Today

If u wan`t game resumes of him just go to my site at youtube
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Big League
I usually hit open layups

It's a shame that Richard Dumas wasn't able to stay clean.
Big League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILA

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/barkely_chat_040316.html

"I feel like I was a much better player in Philadelphia, but I had a better team experience in Phoenix. It's just a great feeling. It's hard to explain it."

His top season was '89-'90. Slotted in the lineup on paper as the small forward he was versatile enough to play either forward position. His defense may have been questioned throughout his career as a 6'5 PF, however he was always an excellent shot blocker. Mahorn was also a big boost for the team that won 53 games + the Atlantic Division Championship at the end of the regular season with a big game from Barkley vs defending champion Bad Boy Pistons. Not too many 6'5 players would be dominant enough to lead the league for many years in 2 point FG%.

Easily the best Sixers team of the past 25 years, though the roster depth was lacking.

Robbed from that MVP
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Here u can Watch Some of Barkley`s Game Resumes

http://www.youtube.com/user/Defender80s?feature=mhum
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Barkley like Bird and Magic where players that u could not classify in a single position

We will never see another 6`4 3/4 post player as strong and as skilled as Barkley was

He was like a 6`4 Shaq with Guard like Handles and Instincts

He forced Rule Changes unlike so many Hyped Up Players of Today

If u wan`t game resumes of him just go to my site at youtube

Another thing I forgot to mention is he was Shaq before Shaq. Meaning a bigman who has tremendous personality, humor and is brutally honest. Shaq is known as the NBA's tell it like it is... funny man but Barkley had him beat.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

I was a huge fan of Barkley growing up, always had arguments with Jordan fans about who was better .
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil
I was a huge fan of Barkley growing up, always had arguments with Jordan fans about who was better .

I always say that after Jordan the players that where the best from the late 80s and early 90s was Barkley and Hakeem.

They where at another level compared to other players in the mid 90's

Here are Barkley Game Resumes from the 90s and 80s

http://www.youtube.com/user/Defender80s?feature=mhum
Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86

If he could have played on stacked teams people would be saying he was top 10.. His only weakness was defense but it's not like he was the worse defender.. Offensively he was better than any pf I can think of.. But that is only one part of the game.. His rebounding was great as well.. He could jump with the best of them. He could pass and score.. A great one..
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil

If he could defend he would have been up there.. He was a dominant player..
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
bootsy
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

People always overrated Barkley and I see it is no different on this site. As a Sixer fan, he let me down A LOT. He was never a true leader like Doc and Moses were and that was even after he cried his way out of Philly and then folded up against Michael and Hakeem and others. He was very good player but I can never put that dude as the elite great players because he didn't lead his team when he had chances to do so. That 93 Finals should have been a 7 game series but Barkley was busy kissing MJ's ass and trying to be buddy buddy and got his ass kicked instead. I know this isn't the popular opinion because people don't think deeply like me and just like to gloss over things but I really don't care if people like it or not. That's just how I feel.
bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: