Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Embry as Interim GM?

Quote:
Bryan Colangelo made it clear this week when he sat down with Toronto hoop scribes that A) he wants to keep running the Raptors and B) he doesn’t know if his current bosses plan to keep him in power much longer.

The matter is muddled by the fact that Colangelo’s bosses are planning to put majority control of the team up for sale ... which could actually wind up helping Colangelo if his staunchest supporter –- current Raptors governor Larry Tanenbaum –- is still part of the Raptors’ upper-management structure after the sale.

The working assumption in Canada is that Colangelo, with the draft just two months away, will be in charge of the Raptors' war room June 23 on draft night despite the fact that his contract expires June 30. There are likewise plenty of observers who believe Colangelo, given his experience dealing with changes to the league's economic system and his overall body of work in both Phoenix and Toronto, deserves at least one more season to run the point on Toronto's post-Chris Bosh rebuild.

However ...

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com this week that the Raptors do have a backup plan if the current management -- at the urging of staunch anti-Colangelo board member Glen Silvestri -- decides it's best to make an immediate change.

One possibility management is considering, sources said, is naming Raptors special advisor Wayne Embry as interim GM. Embry and longtime Raptors scouting director Jim Kelly would then oversee Toronto's draft in Colangelo's place.

Embry, 74, has already served as interim GM for the Raps once before, taking temporary charge of the team's basketball operations in January 2006 from the ousted Rob Babcock -- even making two trades before the trade deadline that season -- before Colangelo was hired on Feb. 28, 2006.

If Silvestri is successful in blocking Colangelo's extension and the Raptors go the interim route, Embry and Kelly would be entrusted with deciding whom to select with Toronto's expected top-three pick ... or whether to trade it. But with a lockout looming July 1, most basketball business after that would soon be on hold anyway.

The Raptors also face a June 15 deadline to decide whether to pick the last-year option on the contract of coach Jay Triano, who has generally been absolved of blame for Toronto's 22-60 record in the wake of Bosh's departure last summer and the Raps' decision strip the roster down and start over.

“We’re geared up for the future,” Colangelo told Toronto reporters this week. “The question is, is it going to take place?

"If I’m here, and I’m able to finish [the rebuilding job], that’s my preference. If I’m not here, I’m going to walk out of here with my head high knowing I did everything I could while I was here.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...run-raps-draft

With MLSE up for sale, getting the GM position resolved before the draft might be quite difficult.

Love ya, MLSE.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Embury as Interim GM?

Embry** lol

I have no problems with this. He did a good job last time with the interim position. Hopefully he can get us draft picks and expirers for Bargs, Jose and Kleiza.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I think if Colangelo isn't going to be part of the team next season there is no point having him around for the draft.

So I'd be okay with having Embry in on an interim basis until a replacement is found.

Though, if they plan to keep Colangelo, this is a moot point.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Unless we feel the need to pull of some crazy deal, I think our pick will be high enough that I'd certainly trust just about anyone to make it. Certainly if we get the 1st it'll be a no-brainer.

Love Embry and if him being the interim means BC gone then go for it.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation
Default Re: Embry as Interim GM?

What kind of retarded management wants to have a guy run the draft war room and then hands the team to a different guy?
The GM in charge at the draft must be the GM in charge for the next couple of years.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
What kind of retarded management wants to have a guy run the draft war room and then hands the team to a different guy?
The GM in charge at the draft must be the GM in charge for the next couple of years.

Yep.

Last time we tried something similar to this it landed us Rafael Araujo.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko

True, and to address both you and Funk:

It's unconventional for sure, but if Colangelo is no longer a part of the equation, and you don't hire a replacement right away, Embry is absolutely first in line.

Clearly you'd rather have Colangelo or his replacement, but if that can't be found, having somebody who works within the organization with a good track record is not the worst thing in the world.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

BC should be extended (imo). Fukc MLSE.
BRabbiT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

If we had like an 8th pick in a deep draft I'd be inclined to agree this is a bad move, however this draft is so week and it looks like we'll be 3rd with only 3 decent players anyway so I wouldn't mind handing the pick to Embry, especially since he's competent.

Again, if it's decided we want to trade the pick however ten I'd be more concerned about having an interim do it.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT
BC should be extended (imo). Fukc MLSE.

I'd tend to agree, but I can see the argument behind letting him go.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I'd tend to agree, but I can see the argument behind letting him go.

Then the question becomes, do you really trust them to find someone better than Colangelo to run the team? I certainly don't...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
hassano
High School Varsity 12th Man

hassano has decent reputationhassano has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Then the question becomes, do you really trust them to find someone better than Colangelo to run the team? I certainly don't...

qft
hassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman

Finding someone to do a worse job than he has would be a harder task.

Sticking with someone who has failed at his job because you're afraid of things getting worse is a terrible attitude for an organisation to have, and organisations that are that cowardly will never get or deserve success.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
hassano
High School Varsity 12th Man

hassano has decent reputationhassano has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
Finding someone to do a worse job than he has would be a harder task.

Sticking with someone who has failed at his job because you're afraid of things getting worse is a terrible attitude for an organisation to have, and organisations that are that cowardly will never get or deserve success.

he has failed the organization as some points during his tenure, however he has set up the team to rebuild with some really nice moves and is still capable of turning it around. people need to remember this is the same guy who came from Phoenix, nothings changed... his first overall pick didnt pan out (can't blame him for the pick, can for sticking with Bargs for so long) and his only all-star left him.

i dunno about you guys but IMO id be ok with keeping BC to give him another shot at rebuilding, its certainly much easier now with more young talent than he had when he first got here.
hassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassano
he has failed the organization as some points during his tenure, however he has set up the team to rebuild with some really nice moves and is still capable of turning it around. people need to remember this is the same guy who came from Phoenix, nothings changed... his first overall pick didnt pan out (can't blame him for the pick, can for sticking with Bargs for so long) and his only all-star left him.

i dunno about you guys but IMO id be ok with keeping BC to give him another shot at rebuilding, its certainly much easier now with more young talent than he had when he first got here.

I think we were in a much better position at the point BC took over than we are now. We had a young All-Star, the number 1 pick, a far better coach, a good cheap point guard and lots of cap space.

It was a great situation, a great chance to start making the Raptors the major force they should be. Unfortunately, not one major move Colangelo has made since has been a success (unless, I suppose, you count the no-brainer picks in the last two drafts).

Something has indeed changed since he came from Phoenix. He has has 5 whole years of proving time, 5 years of decisions that were unquestionably his (I don't know how true it is but rumour always said his father was a/the major influence on much of what went on with the Suns). And in those 5 most recent, most relevant years of his career, he has proven to be a failure.

He didn't even realise that the pathetic roster we had at the start of this season needed to be blown up- he was genuinely aiming to continue to try for the playoffs with Bargnani and that gaggle of rejects. He did finally accept the inevitable midway through the season, but it's not as if he then managed to put together a roster bursting with youthful promise. Things look a bit brighter now with Davis and DeRozan, but they are the only really promising young players we have. And even they are more likely to max out as solid NBA starters rather than All-Stars. The large majority of NBA teams have more promising young players than the Raptors do.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: