Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation
Default Cam Newton Will Not Be A Franchise Caliber QB

While he's filled with loads of potential he lacks the mental make up to be an elite NFL QB. I don't think he's smart enough nor do I think he has the work ethic to be a great QB in the NFL. Sure he is blessed with an unbelievably freakish skill set but that won't overcome his inability to grasp the playbook + being able to read/breakdown sophisticated defensive schemes with athletes that are on par with him + you have to be smart to be a really good NFL QB.

Everyone falls in love with pure athletes but last time I checked most of the elite QB's aren't elite athletes. Not saying that an elite athlete can't be an elite QB but he relies solely on athleticism and has no grasp of the metal part.

He will not be a good NFL QB. I do think he could make a great tight end but that seems unrealistic at this point in time.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Cam Newton Will Not Be A Franchise Caliber QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
While he's filled with loads of potential he lacks the mental make up to be an elite NFL QB. I don't think he's smart enough nor do I think he has the work ethic to be a great QB in the NFL. Sure he is blessed with an unbelievably freakish skill set but that won't overcome his inability to grasp the playbook + being able to read/breakdown sophisticated defensive schemes with athletes that are on par with him + you have to be smart to be a really good NFL QB.

Everyone falls in love with pure athletes but last time I checked most of the elite QB's aren't elite athletes. Not saying that an elite athlete can't be an elite QB but he relies solely on athleticism and has no grasp of the metal part.

He will not be a good NFL QB. I do think he could make a great tight end but that seems unrealistic at this point in time.

I couldn't disagree more.

Cam Newton is a straight baller.

I'll compare him to LeBron James... might not give you the ring but he
kicks much @ss.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How do you know he's stupid?
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green

recruiting allegations?

I don't think he's going to be a good NFL QB either. I will laugh if Carolina drafts Newton #1, he's going to be a major bust..

I'd rather take my chance with Locker or Dalton in the 2nd round. I truly think Locker is going to be the best QB in this class, he's a stud and has all the tools.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Steve Spurrier disagrees with the work ethic statement. I heard him in a recent interview laud Newton's work ethic. He said that when he was recruiting Newton during Cam's Jr. year in highschool he flat out told him that his throwing mechanics were so flawed that he would have to be converted to another position. Within a year Newton had completely overhauled his motion to make himself a SEC caliber QB.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Because I've listened to him speak. Not to mention I also know he played with literally the most dumbed down playbook. Being able to call audibles in the NFL requires a lot of quick processing/decision making skills that this guy really lacks.

John Gruden interviewed him for that QB camp (which is awesome btw) and asked Cam to relay a verbal playcall and he was unable to. If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.

"Simplistic equals fast" - Cam Newtown

That doesn't apply in the NFL ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GqGLPh9PoY
Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Kinda funny you bring up Gruden, because he said Newton was the most impressive quarterback at the QB camp.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I truly think Locker is going to be the best QB in this class, he's a stud and has all the tools.

Not to mention his eye-popping stats in college. Oh, wait....

Sorry, I just tend to be scared off by QB's NFL potential when they put up pedestrian numbers in college.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Steve Spurrier disagrees with the work ethic statement. I heard him in a recent interview laud Newton's work ethic. He said that when he was recruiting Newton during Cam's Jr. year in highschool he flat out told him that his throwing mechanics were so flawed that he would have to be converted to another position. Within a year Newton had completely overhauled his motion to make himself a SEC caliber QB.

This.

Your work ethic statement is way off-base. Everyone raves about how hard a worker he is.

And Cam sounds fine speaking to me as well

This coming from a Gator fan....
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think he's gonna bust too. Could be pretty good but I don't think he'll be elite or worthy of anything in the top 5

question for anyone who will answer.. what is this Blaine Gabbert to AZ stuff all about. I'd prefer someone on the defensive end.. Is Gabbert really the answer to AZ's qb needs?
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Another good QB in the draft is going to be Mallet. He has the tools you look for in a QB and is a pure QB. He has the best arm by far although he makes alot of stupid throws(which can be fixed).
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ponder and Dalton will be the most successful, book it.

I think Newton will bust, i think Gabbert will bust. I think Locker and Mallet both have a 50/50 shot at becoming good starters. But i think Dalton and Ponder will be solid starting QB's for a while.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Ponder and Dalton will be the most successful, book it.

I think Newton will bust, i think Gabbert will bust. I think Locker and Mallet both have a 50/50 shot at becoming good starters. But i think Dalton and Ponder will be solid starting QB's for a while.

ugh.. I hope not if the Cards take him.. I hope they pick up V Miller or Peterson
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
recruiting allegations?
None of that crap proves anything about his intelligence, it just shows he and his family didn't care about NCAA rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Because I've listened to him speak. Not to mention I also know he played with literally the most dumbed down playbook. Being able to call audibles in the NFL requires a lot of quick processing/decision making skills that this guy really lacks.

John Gruden interviewed him for that QB camp (which is awesome btw) and asked Cam to relay a verbal playcall and he was unable to. If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.

"Simplistic equals fast" - Cam Newtown

That doesn't apply in the NFL ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GqGLPh9PoY
He didn't sound stupid at all. I wasn't blown away by his speaking but nothing he says there sounds like an especially dumb guy. "Simplistic equals fast" was Newton stating one of the truths of the offense he ran. Nowhere does he say he won't have to deal with greater complexity in the NFL. You criticize him for not having complex audibles or whatever but you're ignoring that that was the offense the team wanted and that offense worked very well for them, to the point where they were undefeated and won the National Championship. He wouldn't be the first guy that had a far more complex NFL offense than what he ran in college if he succeeds in the NFL.

Newton has done things that justify questioning his character. But there's no strong evidence of him lacking the necessary intelligence to be an NFL QB.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:
None of that crap proves anything about his intelligence, it just shows he and his family didn't care about NCAA rules.
He didn't sound stupid at all. I wasn't blown away by his speaking but nothing he says there sounds like an especially dumb guy. "Simplistic equals fast" was Newton stating one of the truths of the offense he ran. Nowhere does he say he won't have to deal with greater complexity in the NFL. You criticize him for not having complex audibles or whatever but you're ignoring that that was the offense the team wanted and that offense worked very well for them, to the point where they were undefeated and won the National Championship. He wouldn't be the first guy that had a far more complex NFL offense than what he ran in college if he succeeds in the NFL.

Newton has done things that justify questioning his character. But there's no strong evidence of him lacking the necessary intelligence to be an NFL QB.
Really? Because just about every sports blog I read was discussing that interview with Gruden how and stupid he came off so I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...-em-up-segment

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...-mental-acuity

These are observations that I've made. I've proven to have a much greater fundamental understanding of football not to mention I simply have a much better feel for how things work (along with life in general) then you.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: