Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Re: Cam Newton Will Not Be A Franchise Caliber QB

lol
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I will take Gil Brandt's word on Cam's performance with Gruden over the big sports blogs.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Really? Because just about every sports blog I read was discussing that interview with Gruden how and stupid he came off so I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...-em-up-segment

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...-mental-acuity

These are observations that I've made. I've proven to have a much greater fundamental understanding of football not to mention I simply have a much better feel for how things work (along with life in general) then you.
Really, this is the best you can do? I don't even know who you are, and certainly don't value your opinion on yourself. That isn't even a slightly valid argument. Yeah, they did say what you said. "Ooh, Newton didn't provide an 'X-right-39-post-double-off' line, he's an idiot!" YOU'RE an idiot if you think him not making up some line of gibberish that doesn't exist in the AU offense proves anything about his intelligence.

Citing a blog. Really. We need an intelligent Newton detractor to step up here, this kid isn't cutting it.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

^ Exactly.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Really, this is the best you can do? I don't even know who you are, and certainly don't value your opinion on yourself. That isn't even a slightly valid argument. Yeah, they did say what you said. "Ooh, Newton didn't provide an 'X-right-39-post-double-off' line, he's an idiot!" YOU'RE an idiot if you think him not making up some line of gibberish that doesn't exist in the AU offense proves anything about his intelligence.

Citing a blog. Really. We need an intelligent Newton detractor to step up here, this kid isn't cutting it.

How about Newton's proven academic fraud?

It raises one of two questions...

1. Did he not do the work because it was too hard?

OR

2. Did he just not want to do it because he was lazy?

You remember the story, right?

Quote:
He again violated the university’s honor code by putting his name on another student’s paper and turning it in, according to the source. Newton was caught after the instructor asked the real author of the paper why he had not turned in his work, the source said.

According to the source, after the student said he had turned in a paper, he and the instructor went through all the submissions and discovered that Newton had put his name on the paper in question.

Newton subsequently turned in a second paper to the instructor, but it was later found to have been purchased off the Internet, according to the source.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...eating-scandal

Either way, doesn't this put into question Newton's common-sense and decision making? he gets caught cheating once and turns around and cheats again on the exact same paper for the exact same professor!!! He might have actually been a very smart student when he was trying but that story does nothing to help his case.

The thing is, Newton has the academic fraud issue, stolen laptop issue, and recruiting scandals, while Mallett has an alleged case of drug use his freshman year at Michigan (with still no real evidence of it being more than him experimenting with marijuana), yet Newton's character issues are getting 1/100th the attention of Mallett's "character issues".
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #21
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The majority of college students will cheat if given the opportunity. NFL coaches have shown that they will also cheat if given the opportunity. Academic fraud allegations will not give teams pause.

The NFL has never used allegations of recruiting violations against a prospect. If they did a huge chunk the players currently playing in the league would not be there.

Buying a laptop for the low is also not a big deal either.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #22
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
The majority of college students will cheat if given the opportunity. NFL coaches have shown that they will also cheat if given the opportunity. Academic fraud allegations will not give teams pause.

The NFL has never used allegations of recruiting violations against a prospect. If they did a huge chunk the players currently playing in the league would not be there.

Buying a laptop for the low is also not a big deal either.

Ok, that all may be true, but why are Mallett's "character issues" killing him?

You do realize the alleged drug problem was Mallett experimenting with weed as a freshman at Michigan, right? And I know NFL people aren't dumb enough to believe he's the only incoming draft prospect to smoke pot in college. Oh, and Ryan never failed a drug test in his three years at Arkansas. And it can't be the "bad leader" stuff either because the team elected him team captain before he ever played a down at Arkansas, and since the issues of him being a bad teammate were brought out by "sources" in the last few months, Mallett's former teammates have come out and defended and said they loved playing with Ryan.

Yet, this stupid "alleged" shit is killing Mallett's draft stock. Newton has stuff that's just as bad (if not worse) than what Mallett is being accused of, but there's actual hard evidence to back-up Newton's stuff.

And the majority of college students may cheat if given the opportunity, so what? The fact is Newton did cheat - three times - and was caught - three times - but we should just ignore it? He is wanting to be paid millions of dollars for his services as the potential leader of the team and face of the franchise. So, they should just completely ignore the fact that he stole a paper that wasn't his in college, got caught, so he bought a paper online that wasn't his, and got caught again forcing him to transfer to a JUCO because he was probably going to be expelled from Florida? That should be ignored on top of stealing a freaking laptop? Really?!?!

I'm going to school to be a teacher and coach, meaning I will probably start off making $30K a year if I'm lucky. If a job opening comes down to me and one other candidate, and I knew the other candidate was expelled or forced to transfer schools because of academic fraud, and were caught stealing a laptop from their school but still got the job over me despite having a clean record, I'd be ticked.

And yes, I know teachers actually contribute to the development of society while NFL players are just entertainers, but NFL teams are investing millions of dollars into players. The thing is, you'll be proven right because Newton will be drafted ahead of Mallett.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Dasher

I was hearing that Mallet was lazy in the film room, unprofessional, and had off the field issues this time last year. Someone from the Arkansas program or a jilted agent is leaking this stuff. Stomach virus or no, he shouldn't have skipped the meeting with The Panthers. It showed the lack of professionalism that teams have been hearing about.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #24
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I was hearing that Mallet was lazy in the film room, unprofessional, and had off the field issues this time last year. Someone from the Arkansas program or a jilted agent is leaking this stuff. Stomach virus or no, he shouldn't have skipped the meeting with The Panthers. It showed the lack of professionalism that teams have been hearing about.

Mallett wasn't lazy in the film room. Just like 99.9% of the other accusations about his character, it was just rumors. Petrino has even come out and said Mallett was a VERY hard worker off the field. The offense Arkansas runs is very complex and Petrino is extremely demanding of his quarterbacks. Despite his immense God given abilities Mallett couldn't have a lazy off-field work ethic and throw for 7,496 yards and 62 TD's on 60% passing in Petrino's offense in a two year span. Not to mention he put those numbers up in the SEC, won 18 games, and lead Arkansas to the Sugar Bowl in his second season.

If Mallett was having consistent off-field issues, i.e. problems with teammates, drug use, etc. it would have been all over the news in Arkansas, yet, ask just about anyone who lives in Arkansas and they'll tell you they don't recall ever hearing any of these things until the last couple of months. University of Arkansas athletics are in a fishbowl and if an athlete (especially one of Mallett's magnitude) is having a number of off-field problems, they more than just "leak-out".

And as for the meeting with the Panthers, Mallett didn't skip the entire thing. He went to the morning session with the offensive coordinator's of the Panthers' staff, told them he was sick, they told him to go back to his room and if he was feeling better later that day to come back. Now, if the reason Mallett was sick due to being out late partying, that doesn't look good. However, that can't be proved either. Mallett and his agent came out almost immediately after the story broke and said he was back in his room by 10:00 or 10:30 that night after having dinner with Julio Jones.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-24-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #25
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Quote:

You're just about widely regarded as probably the biggest idiot fraud on this board and that's really saying something. I've owned you multiple times in this very forum and in the OTC so not very surprised you "don't know who I am". You're the guy who is too afraid to post a picture of himself in fear of getting ridiculed.

You've never cut it at anything. You're in your early 30's and the main focus of your life involves being a mod on a forum full of teenagers. Dude what are you doing with your life?

You constantly post stories about experiences that have happened to "friends of yours", once again in fear of being ridiculed. Honestly you're just about the most pathetic tool I've encountered on ISH.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #26
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wonder if I'm one of the few that actually loves this QB class. I'm a fan of Cam Newton's prospects at the next level as well as Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, Kaebernick, Ponder could be decent as well. Only one I don't really like is Andy Dalton hoping the Niners get Gabbert at 7 and somehow the Raiders get Kaebernick in the 2nd round. Ponder wouldn't be a poor 2nd round pick for the 49ers either if they choose to go Quinn or Peterson (would be lucky if he was still on the board at #7).
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
How about Newton's proven academic fraud?

It raises one of two questions...

1. Did he not do the work because it was too hard?

OR

2. Did he just not want to do it because he was lazy?

You remember the story, right?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...eating-scandal

Either way, doesn't this put into question Newton's common-sense and decision making? he gets caught cheating once and turns around and cheats again on the exact same paper for the exact same professor!!! He might have actually been a very smart student when he was trying but that story does nothing to help his case.

The thing is, Newton has the academic fraud issue, stolen laptop issue, and recruiting scandals, while Mallett has an alleged case of drug use his freshman year at Michigan (with still no real evidence of it being more than him experimenting with marijuana), yet Newton's character issues are getting 1/100th the attention of Mallett's "character issues".
I agree that it's valid to question Newton's character but lack of academic ability/disinterest in working hard at school doesn't prove he can't be an NFL QB. Plenty of jocks have had 0 academic aptitude.

And Newton's character issues have gotten a ton of attention.

It was made a big deal of throughout the season and here we are talking about it right now. But because he was put on such a long and public trial by the NCAA it's an issue that has been fully explored and thus isn't as big news as Mallet fairly or unfairly being blasted for missing that meeting with the Panthers. The drug allegations are a bigger concern to the NFL because a millionaire NFL QB isn't going to steal a thousand-dollar (or whatever) laptop and there will be no papers for him to cheat on, whereas a drug addiction will be a problem no matter how much money he has, in fact money could make things worse because it would make it even easier for him to get whatever he's been abusing. Please note that I'm not saying Mallet has a problem, I have only heard hearsay and wouldn't be surprised if it was exaggerated or just pure BS, I'm just pointing out why for an NFL player being a drug addict is a bigger problem than merely being a computer-stealing jerk and poor student in the classroom.

It could make you worry about how hard he'll study film and playbook, but the fact of the matter is that Newton went to school to become a great quarterback, not a great (whatever his major was). So Newton does have concerns but I wouldn't be worried at all about an incident like the stolen laptop recurring.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #28
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
You're just about widely regarded as probably the biggest idiot fraud on this board

blah...

blah...

blah...
Let's cut this short. This topic is about Cam Newton's NFL potential, not your unhealthy obsession with my life. You and I don't have any kind of relationship. If you have a real argument to make about why Newton would be a bad pick, like KG215 made, I'm willing to debate. But it's not fair to the rest of the board to sidetrack this thread with some kind of "me vs. you" idiocy, especially when you're such a thoroughly uninteresting poster, I don't know you, and don't want to.

I recommend that you grow up a bit, but am not going to lose any sleep over your low opinion of my person. I'm secure in who I am, in spite of your lame attacks.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
I wonder if I'm one of the few that actually loves this QB class. I'm a fan of Cam Newton's prospects at the next level as well as Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, Kaebernick, Ponder could be decent as well. Only one I don't really like is Andy Dalton hoping the Niners get Gabbert at 7 and somehow the Raiders get Kaebernick in the 2nd round. Ponder wouldn't be a poor 2nd round pick for the 49ers either if they choose to go Quinn or Peterson (would be lucky if he was still on the board at #7).

I really don't like any of the QB's in this class. I think some good be good starters and decent players but I wouldn't be spending a top 10 pick on anyone. This class is heavy at a bunch of positions and I'd want to grab a DE or DT that could be a key part of the future. Or even a CB to get a stud cover guy like Peterson who can be a playmaker back there for the next decade. The only QB I'd be willing to take a chance on is Newton in the top 10 and I'd take Gabbert at around 15 or so.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Let's cut this short. This topic is about Cam Newton's NFL potential, not your unhealthy obsession with my life. You and I don't have any kind of relationship. If you have a real argument to make about why Newton would be a bad pick, like KG215 made, I'm willing to debate. But it's not fair to the rest of the board to sidetrack this thread with some kind of "me vs. you" idiocy, especially when you're such a thoroughly uninteresting poster, I don't know you, and don't want to.

I recommend that you grow up a bit, but am not going to lose any sleep over your low opinion of my person. I'm secure in who I am, in spite of your lame attacks.
Yes I spend all my waking hours thinking about you. Bottom line is your life revolves around being a moderate on insidehoops.com. I recommend that you move out of your mom's house, turn the computer off, and maybe get a real job and a real life.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: