Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Tristan Thompson declares for the draft

Quote:
Although I really like Davis' game, one of the reasons I would favour Thompson instead is the personality and motivation difference. Throughout the year, I sometimes felt like Davis didn't enjoy being in Toronto by how he spoke to the media. He also doesn't seem to be very excited or motivated when he plays.

Ed Davis is just calm. Doesn't get to high when we win and doesn't get to low when we lose, I don't see anything wrong with that as long as he is still effective on the court.

Quote:
On the other hand, Thompson is a guy that is full of energy and would love to play in his home country. He seems genuinely motivated to get better, reminiscent of Demar Derozan.

I haven't read anywhere that Ed Davis is not looking to improve. In fact I read that his dad was looking to make him better by forcing him to gain weight. I don't see anything wrong with him and Toronto as well, hes more quiet and laid back, while someone like Demar wants to be a leader.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

As far as Cory Joseph entering the draft, its probably a smart decision from him. He'll likely go late first round and at worst early second round. Weak draft and he looks like hes making the most of it. From what I've watched of him hes more a shooter and a good defender. If the Raps could get him in the second round I definitely would not mind at all.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I suspect Corey Joseph will go back to school. Just testing out the draft waters. Thompson may also return, but with the way people are dropping out of the draft, he may decide to stay in it.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
If the Wizards get the first pick I could see them trading down a spot or two. Pick up a young prospect and then somebody else who they like in the draft.

They don't need Kyrie Irving, but mostly every other lottery team does.

+1

Although I suppose there is "some question" around the Twolves as well as all the rumours have Rubio coming over from Spain ; however I would not be surprised the see the Twolves take Irving and trade away the rights to Rubio.

If it involves paying out cash to buy out the spanish league team (Rubio's responsibility) the Twolves are notoriously cheap. Flipping him to San Antonio would be exactly the type of San Antionio move.

Bottom line in my mind is everyone but the Wizards ahead of us take Irving the concensus number 1.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTTER21
I think Thompson is more athletic and better rebounder than Ed Davis, plus he is Canadian and would be a great piece to build around.

So ?

Never works out - dont need more depth at the 4.

File under unlikely and bad fit rumours:

Sam Dalembert. Steve Nash. Jamal Macglore (spelling).
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Unless Thompson absolutely blows everyone away in his workouts, I wouldn't even think of trading Ed Davis for him. I don't care if he's Canadian or directly related to me. Being Canadian should have zero bearing when it comes to deciding who is and isn't on your roster.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Unless Thompson absolutely blows everyone away in his workouts, I wouldn't even think of trading Ed Davis for him. I don't care if he's Canadian or directly related to me. Being Canadian should have zero bearing when it comes to deciding who is and isn't on your roster.

/thread
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I wouldn't think about trading Davis for Thompson either. But I do think that it would be a very good thing for Canada's team to finally get some Canadians on it. Even if the things believed the world over about players playing for their local teams- that they play harder and have a greater connection with their fans- aren't true, it would at the very least be a good thing for marketing. I hope we can get Cory Joseph, and I'd like Thompson as well if we weren't already set at the position.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
I wouldn't think about trading Davis for Thompson either. But I do think that it would be a very good thing for Canada's team to finally get some Canadians on it. Even if the things believed the world over about players playing for their local teams- that they play harder and have a greater connection with their fans- aren't true, it would at the very least be a good thing for marketing. I hope we can get Cory Joseph, and I'd like Thompson as well if we weren't already set at the position.

This is the same thinking that made Jay our coach. No thanks. I don't want player decisions to be based on marketing potential and appealing to misguided Canadian patriotism. I want them to be based on the best possible player available. That largely rules out Canadians unfortunately at this stage in the game.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
Even if the things believed the world over about players playing for their local teams- that they play harder and have a greater connection with their fans- aren't true, it would at the very least be a good thing for marketing. I hope we can get Cory Joseph, and I'd like Thompson as well if we weren't already set at the position.

Nope - disagree... tho we may choose to disagree.

File under other myths like :

Blue Jays - Paul Quantrel among other Canadian prospects
Maple Leafs - Eric Lindros among other Toronto prospects.

In fact I might argue that teams/fans get "bigger marketing kick" form the pure speculation that:

Blue Jays would have traded for Larry Walker (never did)
Maple Leafs would take a run at signing x local Toronto boy - history is full of these.

The best Marketing promotion is to win games regardless of nationality of player !

Last edited by Jballer : 04-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
POTTER21
Kids at the park dunk on me

POTTER21 has an OK reputation so far

I never suggested a Thompson for Ed Davis trade. I thought that Ed Davis and another piece (3rd pick) may be enough to leverage the 1st overall to snag Kyrie Irving.

I mostly am set on drafting Irivng since he fills a need and is possibly the best player in the draft. Also as someone else suggested earlier, PF prospects seem to be in high supply in current and recent drafts, so trading 1 away isn't so costly.

Then with depth at PG, either Calderon or Bayless could be traded for a mid first rounder, which could be used on Thompson.

But all of this depends on the value of the 3rd pick.
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: