Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgystan

apparently the custom is this part of the world is for marraiges to be aranged. not only that, the potential bride is kidnapped by the potential groom's family. the men do the kidnapping but it is the women's job to convince the kidnapped bride to stay and get married.

if the bride refuses her reputation can be ruined. there also have been cases where the woman commited suicide rather than face forced marraige.

technically the practice is illegal but the law is rarely enforced.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
apparently the custom is this part of the world is for marraiges to be aranged. not only that, the potential bride is kidnapped by the potential groom's family. the men do the kidnapping but it is the women's job to convince the kidnapped bride to stay and get married.

if the bride refuses her reputation can be ruined. there also have been cases where the woman commited suicide rather than face forced marraige.

technically the practice is illegal but the law is rarely enforced.

It's not as unusual as you think. In some places in Eastern Europe they would kidnap the women, and convince them to marry. If they didn't, they would return to their home and like you said, their rep could be ruined. I don't think it's still done, but at one time it was.

And during the middle ages, and it still probably happens, but if a man was convicted of raping a virgin, the court could force the man to marry them.

Funny thing is we might consider this barbaric and inhumane, but I bet you they didn't have a 50% divorce rate. Nor did they have their kids being raised by the television or anyone else for that matter, because single mom Jane couldn't be at home to raise her kid, she had to work 3 jobs to support her kid.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

yeah, i saw something like this a while back on tv. the chick was freaking out and trying to get away(she wasn't doing a very convincing job at it). she finally gave up and agreed to marry the guy. it was really weird. i guess it would be good for really ugly dudes, but crappy for the chicks.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
It's not as unusual as you think. In some places in Eastern Europe they would kidnap the women, and convince them to marry. If they didn't, they would return to their home and like you said, their rep could be ruined. I don't think it's still done, but at one time it was.

And during the middle ages, and it still probably happens, but if a man was convicted of raping a virgin, the court could force the man to marry them.

Funny thing is we might consider this barbaric and inhumane, but I bet you they didn't have a 50% divorce rate. Nor did they have their kids being raised by the television or anyone else for that matter, because single mom Jane couldn't be at home to raise her kid, she had to work 3 jobs to support her kid.

i'd just like to metnion that a lower divorce rate doesn't mean the couples are happy.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: