Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
detroitkid816
I rule the local playground

Default anyone here ever had social anxiety??

Or really ever been really comfortable being alone?? I'm 18, a senior in high school, and don't really have people I call friends. Never been to a dance, never had a girlfriend, never been to any school sports functions, or any of that ish. it used to get to me when I was younger, but I've been really comfortable by myself lately, and I figured my situation would get better with time...time has passed, and I'm starting to get worried. right now I'm comfortable with the way i live, but it's going to kill me eventually. Has anyone ever experienced/know someone that has experienced a similar situation?
detroitkid816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
xcesswee
I rule the local playground

Default Re: anyone here ever had social anxiety??

You're young. Are you going to college? If so, you will meet plenty of friends at a university. Even if you aren't going to college, you will have a lot of opportunities to expand your social circle if you choose to do so. People start to break out of cliques when they get out of high school.
xcesswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
code green
C's Fan since Dee

start smoking weed, and i'm only half kidding.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
BRabbiT

try not to be so hard on yourself. it'll just get worse if you focus on it too much.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Geriatric
Old Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcesswee
You're young. Are you going to college? If so, you will meet plenty of friends at a university. Even if you aren't going to college, you will have a lot of opportunities to expand your social circle if you choose to do so. People start to break out of cliques when they get out of high school.

This. The transition from high school to whatever the next stage in your life is, whether its college, a job, etc. represents the best chance to reinvent yourself if you aren't satisfied with where you are. It's a chance to start fresh with new faces and people who don't already have a preconceived notion about you. You get an opportunity to create a slew of new first impressions on people you have never met and become more friendly and interactive with others without it seeming "out of character" like it might if you suddenly behaved differently at your old school.

I personally was shy in high school and had a small core group of friends, but I made myself go out of state to college and "started over". Best decision I ever made. I wish you luck. Just remember to not take yourself too seriously. Everyone has self-doubt from time to time and you will seem much more approachable to others if you can laugh at your own missteps rather than overreact or retreat from a situation.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

I was awkward around people when I was younger, but then I grew up and stopped giving a fvck.

You have to realize everyone has anxiety about things too, they wonder if they are acting properly or doing it right too. But a lot of this is just peer and societal pressure.

Ever notice how little a fvck little kids, and very old people, give? It's sad how kids lose this but the sooner you can gain it back (rather than on death's door), and just be yourself, the sooner you'll be happy. Happy people attract other happy people, and thus pussy.

College/Being out of high school helps to relieve that pressure a lot. You leave everyone you know behind and can start fresh, having no reason to be awkward about being yourself.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitkid816
Or really ever been really comfortable being alone?? I'm 18, a senior in high school, and don't really have people I call friends. Never been to a dance, never had a girlfriend, never been to any school sports functions, or any of that ish. it used to get to me when I was younger, but I've been really comfortable by myself lately, and I figured my situation would get better with time...time has passed, and I'm starting to get worried. right now I'm comfortable with the way i live, but it's going to kill me eventually. Has anyone ever experienced/know someone that has experienced a similar situation?
feels like you're describing my life very well.
really, it is hard to be one of us and not feel depressed or worth less than the average man in today's society.

the cool thing is that people with social phobia and/or people who are highly sensitive to environmental stimuli tend to be gifted in other ways, such as in the arts, math sciences, philosophy, etc.

the worst thing is that society tends to value the symptoms of your gifts as crap. people will put you down, destroy your confidence and dismiss your gifts, mostly due to their impatience and inability to see you for who you truly are.

simply put, society and civilisation are shallow; very, very shallow. which is why you need to find a mentor / guru / counselor ASAP.

best wishes going out your way,
nic (gigantes)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Draz
The People's Choice

I'm 18. You'll get out of it. I was very independent in HS after my sophmore year. I had friends, but I did keep to myself. When you go to college you'll open up a lot, I did. I wasn't having social problems, I'm very down to earth & socially fine when I'm ingaged with a conversation, very verbal. I was just to shy when I was younger, you should start conversating with girls.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Whiteness
Banned

yes... and then i grew a sac~

srs
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

I have that to some degree...I had many freinds in school though, lots of freinds in high school, but they have dwindled down after that (I am 34)...obviously at my age that normal to some degree...

I think my social anxiety has gotten worse with age, not better, because it seems now that big social events are more stress than fun like they were in school...

if I have a couple days of social events, like for example a work meeting and then a wedding to attend followed by a eating dinner with a girl's family...then I need like a recharge day or two alone...because it almost feels like work being around all that and I need to relax or something...it sucks

most social events aren't very relaxing for me...they are more stressful
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
I have that to some degree...I had many freinds in school though, lots of freinds in high school, but they have dwindled down after that (I am 34)...obviously at my age that normal to some degree...

I think my social anxiety has gotten worse with age, not better, because it seems now that big social events are more stress than fun like they were in school...

if I have a couple days of social events, like for example a work meeting and then a wedding to attend followed by a eating dinner with a girl's family...then I need like a recharge day or two alone...because it almost feels like work being around all that and I need to relax or something...it sucks

most social events aren't very relaxing for me...they are more stressful
I echo your sentiments. I was a social butterfly when I was younger in High School and throughout my college years. The older I get the less I feel like partying with lots of people and I almost dread heading back home and seeing literally hundreds of people I went to school with/knew from home (small town stuff, I know everyone)...It's like work, it really is. It gets really repetitive having the same customary conversation.

"Oh Hey Alex!"

"Hi! *insert name here*"

"Whats up?! Hows it going?? Tell me about your life"

"Uhhh it's good, everythings good"

Repeat like 300x until I leave without saying good bye and smoke copious amounts of marijuana to decompress, lol.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Trust me, the way society is today relying on communicating through phones, computers, and other means, it's no wonder more and more people feel comfortable living alone. I wouldn't worry about it as you are very young.

I have a girlfriend, but she's my first serious one and I turn 30 in a couple of days. Sure, I've dated before, but I lived alone and it felt great to have my space. As far as friends is concerned. You really only need 1 good friend that's going to be there for you and vice versa to live a happy life. Anyone else in your life should just be passing through.

I wouldn't stress it.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
Stuckey
ifirtworld

i only get that anxiety when i'm baked as hell around strangers
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
TylerOO
NBA sixth man of the year

Wow. I am the same way. I have social anxiety pretty bad. I hate being in social places. I love being alone, but I feel the same way about how its eventually gonna kill me. Its scary how much I am like what you posted. I thought things would get better by the time I was done with high school. Well Ive been done and it has only got worse.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #15
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitkid816

You're either introverted or just a *****. If you're fine spending time alone then it's likely the first, don't let the fact that you're not Zach Morris get you upset. And don't let a Doctor get you hooked on benzos.
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: