Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Re: Suggestions in L.A. anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyhigh
i have a grudge against la. it's too damn big, excessively. a few weeks ago i was driving from marin down to LA then to phoenix, anyways, i drove 7 or 8 straight hours from marin to south ca, it was about 10 pm on my first stop and my gps being the ******* it is i thought i was in la...NOPE. i ask gas station cashier where the hell i am, says ventura, ok...drive another 30-40 mins...thinkin i'm in la...NOPE i;m in fcking tarzana(i know wtf is tarzana, extremely rude people as well)...anyhow i eventually made it to la...stopped at a gas station at around 12pm on hollywood blvd right by the freeway...had planned to stay in la but instead i bought me a few rebulls and drove straight to phoenix... sht was intense

what the hell...you drove straight through LA to Ventura?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
artificial
:-P

Great suggestion guys. Will get back to you later when I return from work, but I've been reading them all and appreciate them

Thanks
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Check out the whole coastline from Huntington to Malibu. My personal favorites along the way are the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Hermosa Beach, Venice Beach, and Zuma Beach Malibu.

Go see Hollywood. Venues like the Viper Room, The Whiskey, and The Troubadour for live music, the Saddle Ranch if you just wanna party, and restaurants like Roscoes Chicken and Waffles to eat. If you get chance to see a big name band you like at the Hollywood Bowl GO!

Vist the Getty Museum. Also hike up into the Griffith Park Observatory. They both have Amazing views, the best of LA!

Lastly the downtown is a hell hole of the worst kind, but if you ever find yourself down there eat at Coles Famous French Dips. It is the originator of the french dip and is pretty tasty in a neat old location. Just watch your back.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
wheyhigh
con my cuerno de chivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
what the hell...you drove straight through LA to Ventura?
i drove from marin county(monterey) to LA then to phoenix
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
thatoneblackguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyhigh
i have a grudge against la. it's too damn big, excessively. a few weeks ago i was driving from marin down to LA then to phoenix, anyways, i drove 7 or 8 straight hours from marin to south ca, it was about 10 pm on my first stop and my gps being the ******* it is i thought i was in la...NOPE. i ask gas station cashier where the hell i am, says ventura, ok...drive another 30-40 mins...thinkin i'm in la...NOPE i;m in fcking tarzana(i know wtf is tarzana, extremely rude people as well)...anyhow i eventually made it to la...stopped at a gas station at around 12pm on hollywood blvd right by the freeway...had planned to stay in la but instead i bought me a few rebulls and drove straight to phoenix... sht was intense
I take offense to this story. I was born in Tarzana.
thatoneblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
bigdaddyfunk
Not airballing my layups anymore

Disneyland.
bigdaddyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
wheyhigh
con my cuerno de chivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneblackguy
I take offense to this story. I was born in Tarzana.
well tell the cashiers and store clerks to stop being rude and grumpy because they live in california but not in LA. i had drove a very long distance all alone and i was hungry, beat up and i smelled like sh!t, the last thing i needed is unhelpful peasants giving me an attitude when i ask them simple geography questions. pieces of sh!t. the ONLY helpful store clerk was some guy at a 76 gas station in LA on Hollywood blvd right off the freeway in front of that famous burger joint. he charged my phone for free(car charger took a dump) and i even had a good convo with him about life in general. dude was awesome and very helpful. when i'm old enough i will go back there and buy him a beer.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
lbj4kb8
Decent playground baller

Get a Double Double and a shake from In-&-Out...

Hit up the beaches and relax, check out the hot girls around...
lbj4kb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
UCLAlegend32
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyfunk
Disneyland.

this

i dropped $500 for an annual pass
UCLAlegend32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Check out some TV show/game show tapings.....
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

see the dodgers-- great atmosphere

go to venice and santa monica beaches
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
artificial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Check out an L.A. Galaxy soccer game.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup final is going to be played there this summer. It will more than likely be USA vs. Mexico so it should be a fucking badass game.

UCLA will have a few football games at the Rose Bowl as well. Maybe check out a USC game?

Great suggestions. I will probably have to go to USC on work at some point, might as well go before that and try to catch a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
Check out the Red Car Brewery in Torrance, and order a "Southbay IPA"

Checked on the map and it's incredibly easy to go from the place I'm staying at. Will definitely go, probably this weekend. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Thing about so cal is there is no shortage of stuff to do, it really depends on what you enjoy.

I assume you'll do the hollywood thing? It's not all that it's cracked up to be but if you're in LA you should atleast visit it. Griffith observatory is pretty cool too and it's in the same area. There is also a ton of stuff in Downtown LA.

I'm actually further south in OC. IMO the beaches are nicer here but it's all the same, cold water everywhere so it'd better be a hot day if you go in, or you could be from alaska.

Do go down to San Diego for a weekend if you get the chance. La Jolla is pretty cool, also hit Coronado island and gaslamp quarter while you're down there. If you're going just for the day you can get a ticket to one of those old town trolley things. They take you all over SD. Just park at the gas lamp so you can dis-embark there in the evening as your final stop and enjoy the night life.
Thanks for the suggestions. Not so sure about visiting Hollywood, but may take a look at some point. I will have to go to San Diego later this year, so might as well wait until then, and explore LA in the mean time. Went to Redondo and Manhattan beach last weekend, and I definitely want to see more beaches
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
artificial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
Check out the whole coastline from Huntington to Malibu. My personal favorites along the way are the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Hermosa Beach, Venice Beach, and Zuma Beach Malibu.

Go see Hollywood. Venues like the Viper Room, The Whiskey, and The Troubadour for live music, the Saddle Ranch if you just wanna party, and restaurants like Roscoes Chicken and Waffles to eat. If you get chance to see a big name band you like at the Hollywood Bowl GO!

Vist the Getty Museum. Also hike up into the Griffith Park Observatory. They both have Amazing views, the best of LA!

Lastly the downtown is a hell hole of the worst kind, but if you ever find yourself down there eat at Coles Famous French Dips. It is the originator of the french dip and is pretty tasty in a neat old location. Just watch your back.
Thanks for the suggestions. Venice beach is now a must-go on my list, will try to check out the other beaches you mentioned. Your input on Hollywood is actually the first real motivation I've seen to go there. Sounds cool, might go at some point.

Getty Museum and Griffith Park sound nice (and it's the 2nd mention on Griffith). And thanks for the advise on downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyfunk
Disneyland.
Considered it, but since I'm making visits on my own, probably won't go. Going to Disneyland alone doesn't sounds very appealing
Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
artificial

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj4kb8
Get a Double Double and a shake from In-&-Out...

Hit up the beaches and relax, check out the hot girls around...
Those two were already on my to-do list. Everyone has been saying great things about In-N-Out and there's one on my way to work, and now thanks you I even know what I'll be ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Check out some TV show/game show tapings.....
Not so sure about that. Don't even know that much about north american TV/actors/actresses, so I think I'll pass on that. Still, thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
see the dodgers-- great atmosphere

go to venice and santa monica beaches
Given that I probably won't catch a NBA game (I've heard the Lakers' playoff tickets are too expensive, and I hate the Lakers anyway), might as well see the Dodgers.

Venice was already in my must-visit list, and coming from you I'll definitely catch Santa Monica as well. Thanks
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: