Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
KG215
NBA Legend

Default Arkansas and the South has been a living hell lately

Just in Arkansas alone in the last few months there have been multiple earthquakes, multiple tornadoes, and floods. Central Arkansas in general has been pummeled. There's been 3 or 4 earthquakes since February of 4.0 magnitude or higher. Nothing to do any serious damage but the people that live in that area are starting to get freaked out about the possibility of an even bigger earthquake hitting at any time.

Then, last night a tornado that was reportedly a 1/2 mile wide tore through central Arkansas area (Conway, Little Rock, Maumelle, Vilonia for those that might be familiar with the area) and did quite a bit of damage leaving 9 dead.

On top of that there's been all sorts of flooding from the ridiculous amounts of rain over the last few weeks. A lot of my yard is underwater and parts of it are almost knee deep on me, and I'm 6'5".

It's not just Arkansas either. Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia have been getting hit with some or a combination of this stuff, too.

This is about the town that was hit hardest by the tornado last night where four people were killed. The article says 10 people were killed the day before by a series of stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110426/...ather_arkansas

This is about a storm that had real strong winds and knocked over a lot trees. Seven people that night were killed because of trees falling through their house/trailer at night while they were in bed.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog...ees-kill-three

While the earthquakes haven't killed anyone, yet, there's still been something like 1,100+ small earthquakes in central Arkansas. Just Google "Greenbrier, Arkansas earthquakes" and you'll get a lot of different links about the earthquakes.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
ROCSteady
One of One

Default Re: Arkansas and the South has been a living hell lately

that's because it is the worst state in America.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
FourthTenor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Arkansas and the South has been a living hell lately.

FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
DuMa
Canned

Japan inclines to disagree
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
Japan inclines to disagree

No arguments there. Our problems compared to Japan are extremely mild. I wasn't trying to say it was anywhere near as bad here as it is other places in the world.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady

Ok, I have to take some offense to that because I've grown up in Arkansas. Those of us that were born and raised here don't have a lot of complaints because we're used to the small town life. We don't have the night life of a lot of states with big metropolitan areas but, since we've never been around that kind of life on a consistent basis, it's not much of an issue.

And go ahead and make all the inbred hillbilly jokes you want. There's some very "redneck" parts of Arkansas, but there's also parts of the state with a ton of money and well educated people. If you come from a more populous state with a more vibrant and active night life, then I understand why Arkansas wouldn't be for you. I know a lot of people from here that love taking vacations to big cities but also say that wouldn't be a constant lifestyle they would enjoy.

Go ahead, bash me all you want, but I had to make some sort of effort to stick-up from where I was raised.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
ROCSteady
One of One

Sorry, just my personal opinion. Every state has 'diversity' per se but Arkansas was just a less than picturesque place with some pretty creepy sights and foul smells/swamps.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Sorry, just my personal opinion. Every state has 'diversity' per se but Arkansas was just a less than picturesque place with some pretty creepy sights and foul smells/swamps.

What part of Arkansas did you go through? Sounds like it was southern and/or eastern Arkansas. Northwest Arkansas (where all the money is: Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt) is really nice, but I also know it's not for everyone.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
Riddler
Step 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Just in Arkansas alone in the last few months there have been multiple earthquakes, multiple tornadoes, and floods. Central Arkansas in general has been pummeled. There's been 3 or 4 earthquakes since February of 4.0 magnitude or higher. Nothing to do any serious damage but the people that live in that area are starting to get freaked out about the possibility of an even bigger earthquake hitting at any time.

Arkansas has dealt with much bigger problems, they will be okay.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
Riddler
Step 11

Quote:

Wyoming says hello.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: