Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
jphoc13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jphoc13 has an OK reputation so far
Default Marshon Brooks, should be the Bulls draft pick

I think the Bulls ought to package their picks together to make sure they draft Marshon Brooks. Here is a lengthy scouting report on him:

Walker Beeken

Marshon Brooks is a name that pops up in nearly every conversation when discussing the most improved players in the country this season. The Providence senior has put together an extremely productive first half of the season, proving to be one of the best scorers in the Big East.

Standing at 6'5” with a wiry frame, Brooks has a smooth, attacking game on the offensive end with the ability to score points in bunches. And while he often finds himself playing different positions for an undersized Providence team, his body and skill set suggest that he's best suited as shooting guard prospect for the NBA.

Brooks's overall improvement and efficiency can be seen in virtually all areas of his game, as evidenced by his excellent 31.2 PER, which currently ranks him among the top 20 players in the country. His biggest strength though, is his ability to create his own shot and score, as he's averaging 23.8 points per game so far this season, which puts in him in the top five in the nation.
Brooks has plenty of freedom in Providence's wide open, up tempo style (currently ranked 13th in NCAA in pace on kenpom.com), and so far, he's been extremely efficient as a scorer, showing that he's capable of getting his own shot almost whenever he wants at the college level, lighting up top five teams Syracuse and Pittsburgh for 28 and 27 points respectively.

Not quite an elite level athlete, Brooks possesses a very smooth first step, rangy strides, and an improving handle to go along nice change of speed and direction dribbles to keep defenders off balance and get into the paint off the bounce, and slice his way to the basket.

His shot selection can be terrible at times—taking far too many contested pull-up 3-pointers early in the shot-clock--but he's been better this season about focusing on getting to the rim and finishing, as evidenced by the fact that he's shooting 59% on 2-pointers and getting to the free throw line at nearly twice the rate of his junior season. He does struggle at times to finish around the rim due to his average frame and explosiveness, though.

As a shooter, Brooks has gradually improved his percentages from the field, 3-point arc, and free throw line over the course of his career, and he's turned himself into a pretty decent shooter. He has extreme confidence is his shot and at times can be a bit of a gunner, but to this point in the season he's managed to shoot a high percentage even with some of his difficult shot attempts. He's shooting a poor 27% on jumpers off the dribble though, so if he can start to be more selective in that area, he could see his efficiency numbers jump even more.

Brooks often has tunnel vision when in the process of trying to create and hasn't shown much in terms of being able to set up his teammates. His turnover rate is up this season due to his poor shot-selection and the large load he's carrying on the offensive end, and his negative assist-to-turnover ratio illustrates some of his questionable decision making skills.

A key for Brooks and his professional career will be learning to fit into a role and a system and finding ways to contribute without dominating the ball. He should also focus on becoming more proficient on catch-and-shoot opportunities as well, as he likely won't have the ball in his hands and the freedom to create like he does at Providence.

On the defensive end, Providence plays quite a bit of zone in the halfcourt and likes to get out in pressure in the fullcourt as well, so Brooks will have a big adjustment when he's faced with playing almost solely man-to-man defense. He does appear to have adequate length and lateral quickness to defend shooting guards though, and his activity level is generally pretty good too. His 8 rebounds per game for a player his size is an encouraging sign, as are his block and steal numbers (1.8 steals and 1.3 blocks per game). Giving maximum effort on every possession and becoming an asset on the defensive end will be a key for him down the road.

Although Brooks's name wasn't found on many draft boards prior to this season, he's been far too productive to ignore in 2010-2011. And while his upside may be perceived as somewhat limited since he's a senior who will turn 22 this month, his physical tools and continued improvement suggest that there is still room for growth.

He will definitely be a player to keep an eye on as Providence goes through Big East play, as big-time wing scorers who can create their own shot and shoot 50% from the field don't grow on trees. There will still be questions about how his game will translate, and if he'll be able fit in and play a role at the pro level, but if he can sustain his early season success, he will surely earn plenty of looks from NBA scouts.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Pe4rfS1i
http://www.draftexpress.com
jphoc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
(e)
MJ of ISH *Brotherhood

(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Marshon Brooks, should be the Bulls draft pick

Wish he wouldn't of impressed as much as he did.

He was a dead lock sleeper before all the workouts had been done, pretty much everyone pegged him as a 2nd rounder.

He's almost lotto bound just by how he's impressed everyone with workouts.

I'd definitely give up both picks to get him, he can light it up.
(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is a pretty well-respected posterljsbb27 is a pretty well-respected posterljsbb27 is a pretty well-respected posterljsbb27 is a pretty well-respected poster

I wish we could get him.

I'm excited for the Draft. I hope the Bulls plan on being active and doing what they have to do to try and improve our team as best they can.
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He's going to be solid. IDK who would be willing to take our picks that is in the scope, but I would do it. Hell, I would try to trade these picks regardless because I think they aren't going to amount to a damn thing in this weak draft.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

If he's still their for the Bulls to get that a HELL YEAH.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
jphoc13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jphoc13 has an OK reputation so far

He is still on the board at 20!!!
jphoc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro has decent reputationeeeeeebro has decent reputation

it was said that Brooks was dominated by buttler in practice before the draft. That being said bulls are probably going to start an SF as SG cause our team is so long that we would do good with a Brewer type of SG. So that SG is a strength on defense not a weakness.
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Butler is a 5 position SF. He can play everything. IDK, But I wouldn't get too wound up on this. Brooks might not even become a solid player, until after his first 4 seasons.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
dee-rose
Words and stuff.

dee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation here

We aren't starting a rookie at the SG spot. That's for sure.
dee-rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

I hope not, but I wouldn't swear by it, based on a premise that he's a rookie, and thats all I have to go by. If Butler were to earn his spot, ala Taj did... there would be no reason to complain.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #11
dee-rose
Words and stuff.

dee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation heredee-rose has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
I hope not, but I wouldn't swear by it, based on a premise that he's a rookie, and thats all I have to go by. If Butler were to earn his spot, ala Taj did... there would be no reason to complain.
Sure, if he ends up being a steal that's awesome. The point is that we need to actually sign a 2 or trade for one.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't think Thibs will start him at all this year unless Bogans and Korver get injured. and that's a maybe he starts him over Brewer. He's not the type of guy to start younger players or give them time I think. I'm pretty sure that's why James never got playing time.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
dee-rose
Words and stuff.

I just think Thibbs didn't like JJs game personally, or JJ just didn't get the defense. He played Asik, a rookie, important playoff minutes, as well as Gibson, a 2nd year guy. If Butler can contribute, he'll play. He won't start, because we better ****ing sign a 2 guard.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-rose
We aren't starting a rookie at the SG spot. That's for sure.
did we not start gibson? because of defense if buttler plays defense thib will keep him out there
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

And im very sure thibs had his say so in drafting buttler
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: