Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Do the Lakers have any real shot at Howard? If not, then WHO DOES?

correct me if any of this is wrong, but here's what i see, starting with the lakers:

FREE AGENCY- if howard opts for FA this offseason and does it scot-free, i don't see how the lakers could possibly sign him. their team salary was $91 mil this year, with all of the major contracts being multi-year deals. and with the new CBA, that headache is not likely to get any better.

of course, most 'opt-out' years give the original team a lot of rights, such as with sign-and-trades. for example, even cleveland (james for a couple of picks), toronto (bosh for a couple of picks) and denver (anthony for a treasure chest of stuff) got some decent value back, recently.

side note- does anybody know exactly how howard's opt-out clause with orlando is structured?

TRADES- it's very hard to see otis smith trading howard, period. nevermind the recent, flaky incarnation of otis smith, who might conceivably trade howard for bynum plus $3 mil in filler (their salary difference) and picks. but if you're smith and orlando, that's still a "turrible beating to take," according to charles barkleys everywhere. first, because bynum is nowhere near as reliable as howard. second, because late-round lakers picks are not going to get anybody excited, anyway.

then there's a colleague of mine, who proposed this, which makes sense from orlando's perspective:
Quote:
I think that two things need to happen for Dwight to go to LA:

1. He has to force a trade there and not accept signing an extension with any other team.

2. LA has to be willing to gut their frontcourt and trade at least two valuable pieces (ie Bynum and Odom) and take back at least one bad contract from Orlando.
still, it's very hard to see LA wanting to do that, either. orlando's two dreadful contracts are turkoglu and arenas, you know? i mean, talk about endless migraines...

so... anybody see how howard could POSSIBLY land with the lakers in any reasonable universe?

otherwise, otherwise... it seems to me that howard passes on to new york or brooklyn. which is a whole 'nother set of arguments, of course...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
WBynumToTheHole
I hit open layups

WBynumToTheHole has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do the Lakers have any real shot at Howard? If not, then WHO DOES?

he can't opt out till 2012 anyway
WBynumToTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

THe Bulls
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
PHaYze
Banned

PHaYze has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
THe Bulls

Haha yeah, Boozer/Taj for Dwight
PHaYze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Other than better health, I wouldn't want Dwight over Bynum.
Dwight is not a skilled player, doesn't have range, no footwork.
He's highly overrated because of the complete lack of centers.
His numbers are poor for being the focal point of the offense and getting the most touches........if you swapped out Byunm and Dwight and gave them the touches the other was getting the numbers would be identical.
Dwight would still be the 3rd option on this Lakers team........the only issue is how are Bynum's knees going to hold up.

What the Lakers REALLY NEED is a point guard.....CP3 would make championships a lock......but there are tons of guys who would be a big upgrade to our old tough warrior DFish.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
opps
Banned

opps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Other than better health, I wouldn't want Dwight over Bynum.
Dwight is not a skilled player, doesn't have range, no footwork.
He's highly overrated because of the complete lack of centers.
His numbers are poor for being the focal point of the offense and getting the most touches........if you swapped out Byunm and Dwight and gave them the touches the other was getting the numbers would be identical.
Dwight would still be the 3rd option on this Lakers team........the only issue is how are Bynum's knees going to hold up.

What the Lakers REALLY NEED is a point guard.....CP3 would make championships a lock......but there are tons of guys who would be a big upgrade to our old tough warrior DFish.

Yup. But Dwill is what we need.
opps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Sheed
Serious playground baller

Sheed has an OK reputation so far

Dwight to the Nets.

Dwill+Morrow+A better SF in the offseason+Brook+Dwight

t'would be sick.
Sheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
AI3Anthony
A New Era Begins

AI3Anthony is considered somewhat coolAI3Anthony is considered somewhat coolAI3Anthony is considered somewhat cool

I don't think they will trade him. I think they'll keep him and do their best to keep him in free agency.
AI3Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
I don't think they will trade him. I think they'll keep him and do their best to keep him in free agency.
yeah and they will probably bet on Mosley to beat Pacquiao
flipogb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Lakers have a shot if that where Dwight wants to go.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
correct me if any of this is wrong, but here's what i see, starting with the lakers:

FREE AGENCY- if howard opts for FA this offseason and does it scot-free, i don't see how the lakers could possibly sign him. their team salary was $91 mil this year, with all of the major contracts being multi-year deals. and with the new CBA, that headache is not likely to get any better.

of course, most 'opt-out' years give the original team a lot of rights, such as with sign-and-trades. for example, even cleveland (james for a couple of picks), toronto (bosh for a couple of picks) and denver (anthony for a treasure chest of stuff) got some decent value back, recently.

side note- does anybody know exactly how howard's opt-out clause with orlando is structured?

TRADES- it's very hard to see otis smith trading howard, period. nevermind the recent, flaky incarnation of otis smith, who might conceivably trade howard for bynum plus $3 mil in filler (their salary difference) and picks. but if you're smith and orlando, that's still a "turrible beating to take," according to charles barkleys everywhere. first, because bynum is nowhere near as reliable as howard. second, because late-round lakers picks are not going to get anybody excited, anyway.

then there's a colleague of mine, who proposed this, which makes sense from orlando's perspective:

still, it's very hard to see LA wanting to do that, either. orlando's two dreadful contracts are turkoglu and arenas, you know? i mean, talk about endless migraines...

so... anybody see how howard could POSSIBLY land with the lakers in any reasonable universe?

otherwise, otherwise... it seems to me that howard passes on to new york or brooklyn. which is a whole 'nother set of arguments, of course...

Turkulu could actually be a very good fit in LA. You are right though, I don't see them doing that either.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
opps
Banned

opps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Turkulu could actually be a very good fit in LA. You are right though, I don't see them doing that either.

Not sure if serious...
opps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by opps
Not sure if serious...

Why not? He is like a rich man's Luke Walton. A Point Forward fits the triangle perfectly, why else do you think LA would have kept Walton all these years?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Turk' > Odom, lol.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Knicks and Nets.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

G-Funk has decent reputation

Lakers have a better shot at CP3
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: