Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

I pulled a move yesterday that I am sure was a carry but how do you decide if something is a carry or not. I did a spin move then followed through with an around the back move but kept my hand on top of the ball.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,964
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Technically speaking, I believe the hand, as you mentioned, must remain on the top portion of the sphere. However, more often I'm able to recognize a carry off of feel. Sometimes you can watch a move and say, "Yeah, that's definitely not legal."

I think most of the time, carrying or palming occurs when a player has a hand beneath the ball at some point. This does sometimes tend to happen when players attempt spin moves. However, I'm having a hard time piecing together exactly what the move looked like that you pulled off so it's tough to comment. Chaining a behind-the-back dribble to a spin move is definitely possible if done correctly. If the entire spin and subsequent behind-the-back play occured without a bounce, there could be a problem. Otherwise, as I said, it's doable.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

I think most of the time, carrying or palming occurs when a player has a hand beneath the ball at some point. This does sometimes tend to happen when players attempt spin moves. However, I'm having a hard time piecing together exactly what the move looked like that you pulled off so it's tough to comment.


I spin a full 360 and after the spin I just keep the ball going around my back if that clears it up any
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Permodius
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I spin a full 360 and after the spin I just keep the ball going around my back if that clears it up any

I know this move, I seen Gilbert Arenas do it in a commercial. I am not sure whether or not it is a carry. I only know that when I do the move the inertia of the spin keeps the ball in my hand without having to put my hand under the ball. But it is confusing since the ball stays in your hand for so long when you do this move. I think as long as you can do it and keep your hand on top then you are good to go.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
I know this move, I seen Gilbert Arenas do it in a commercial. I am not sure whether or not it is a carry.


Pretty close only I go around my back. I will try his version next week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxPo5SmDYU
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Permodius
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Pretty close only I go around my back. I will try his version next week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxPo5SmDYU

Yea that's the commercial. The way you are doing it may be closer to a carry though, so if anything do the version that Gilbert does at it looks much cleaner then what you described.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Yea that's the commercial. The way you are doing it may be closer to a carry though, so if anything do the version that Gilbert does at it looks much cleaner then what you described.

I was thinking his way is more of a carry because the ball kind of changes directions to go though his legs before it hits the floor again. I will have to give his version a try though
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,964
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

That video definitely helped clear the idea up in my head. I'd probably still need to see your version, as I'd vote for a travel in Gilbert's case. It seems like a small deal, but to take the ball and carry it those extra degrees (beyond a normal spin) seems to initiate the travel to me. I'm not certain on this one though.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
That video definitely helped clear the idea up in my head. I'd probably still need to see your version, as I'd vote for a travel in Gilbert's case. It seems like a small deal, but to take the ball and carry it those extra degrees (beyond a normal spin) seems to initiate the travel to me. I'm not certain on this one though.


Just playing around with it it seems to me like in a normal spin the ball travels 180-270 degrees where with my spin it travels a full 360 before going around the back. I really doubt I could get away with it in an organized game but its a lot of fun to do at the parks in less structured games. It seems like the rules have changed since I was a kid. I always read that you weren't really supposed to take a full two steps. You get one as you are receiving the ball off you last dribble then a full step. Now with the Euro step and other moves that require a really long step players are traveling a lot farther without dribbling. I also notice its pretty common for players to take a step before an outside shot then drop step both feet to get their feet set.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Permodius
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I was thinking his way is more of a carry because the ball kind of changes directions to go though his legs before it hits the floor again. I will have to give his version a try though

Well I tried out Gilbert's version at the court today and I would say it is a carry, since I needed to have my hand on the side of the ball to keep it in control. Also I guess I am picturing something different than what you actually were doing, that is why I think your version is more of a travel when it probably isn't. Do you have a video or something of what you are doing? Or are you doing the same move but with a bounce between? If so then you definitely are good.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A
 
1manfastbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 707 - 415
Posts: 3,529
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

if your palm is under the ball at any time it's a carry
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
if your palm is under the ball at any time it's a carry


That's the part that's confusing. For a normal spin more the ball rotates a little more than 180 degrees. With the spin move I described it rotates over 360 degrees but m hand stays in the same place that it would for a normal spin move.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Kombo
:)
 
Kombo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 886
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

To do a full 360 spin move you need to switch your dribble hand in order for it to not be a carry. Unless I don't understand what you're talking about.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,110
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
To do a full 360 spin move you need to switch your dribble hand in order for it to not be a carry. Unless I don't understand what you're talking about.
What if he can do the spin move while keeping his hand over the ball? In that case, it would be legal.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 434
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
What if he can do the spin move while keeping his hand over the ball? In that case, it would be legal.


My hand stays in the same position as it would for a normal around the back or spin move and my foot stays in the same position as it would for any spin move. It still seems like a carry just because the ball spends so much time under my hand.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy