Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Carrying/palming is there some type of guideline to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
My hand stays in the same position as it would for a normal around the back or spin move and my foot stays in the same position as it would for any spin move. It still seems like a carry just because the ball spends so much time under my hand.
It's not. Don't worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cEZ74bWfE
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

OK, here is a bad video of me doing this move. Before you ask I don't have anything up my butt, I just got done doing legs. I may try to get some better ones later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN378ASfue4
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
OK, here is a bad video of me doing this move. Before you ask I don't have anything up my butt, I just got done doing legs. I may try to get some better ones later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN378ASfue4
Thanks for the video. That helps a lot. The best I can say is if I were officiating a basketball game and I saw that move performed, I would not hesitate to call a travel. I feel that a routine spin is going to be about as far as a player can maintain the ball on their hand without crossing the travel threshold. That extra little bit of movement to put it behind your back clearly crosses that threshold in my eyes.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far

Yea, that's a travel. I really can't explain why but the ball stays in your hand so long and then you add a move where your hand is not on top of the ball. It's more of an and1 move to do when you are just playing around.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Yea, that's a travel. I really can't explain why but the ball stays in your hand so long and then you add a move where your hand is not on top of the ball. It's more of an and1 move to do when you are just playing around.
That's not a travel. It's carrying. It's only a violation because he placed his hand under the basketball as he went behind his back.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
That's not a travel. It's carrying. It's only a violation because he placed his hand under the basketball as he went behind his back.

I was thinking carry too but when I do it quickly I'm not sure my hand actually goes under the ball. No more than it would in an around the back or behind the back move. But because the ball spends so much time under my hand I don't see how it would be legal in an actual game. I am just a recreational player though so I think I can get away with it, and its a lot of fun to do in a game
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
For some reason, in my region where I grew up, it was always accepted to throw all those types of ball violations under the one "traveling" umbrella. Carry, palming, travel, it's a violation either way, so most people in my area just call it a travel regardless. It's interesting because there have been moments in street games where an opponent will vehemently deny they traveled but will concede "I may have carried, but I didn't travel." Sometimes I feel like I'm better off just calling a "violation".
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: