Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
keep-itreal
High School Starter

keep-itreal is considered somewhat coolkeep-itreal is considered somewhat cool
Default Can you guys give some tips on shooting form?

I lack any fundamentals of shooting, so i started looking up some sites and watching some vids about shooting form. One thing I heard that on your shooting hand, only your thumb, index finger and middle finger should be used when releasing the basketball. Is that correct? I tried it a couple times and I just can't get any lift on the basketball because I have small fingers. It's hard for me to flick it off when my fingers are so small. What do i do!?!?

And the elbow, should it be lined up directly to the basket? because sometimes I tend to steer away from it.

And basically any details that are essential in shooting a basketball, can you please give some?
keep-itreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you guys give some tips on shooting form?

For starters:

1. Wide base (at least shoulder width apart). A wide base will provide balance on each of your shots. With feet close together, it often becomes easier for your body to shift its weight from one side or the other, creating an off-balance and inconsistant shooting form.

2. Spread Your Fingers On The Ball - This will provide better control over the ball as you prepare to shoot. The ball should not be resting on your palm. Rather, it is much better off in my experience to have it resting on the "pads" of your fingers.

3. Keep Your Shooting Elbow In - You already mentioned this, and it's true. I picture shooting a basketball like launching a catapult. Your strong hand is your shooting hand aka your catapult. I would not devise a catapult with a crooked arm. Instead, I'd have it flinging in a directly line toward my target. That's what you want out of your shooting elbow. An elbow square to the basket provides additional power and consistency.

4. Use Your Off-Hand As A Guide, Not A Second Shooter - When shooting a basketball, the job of your off-hand is ensure the ball is stable on your shooting hand. Imagine trying to get off a shot in a game while only using one hand. The ball would be unstable, yes? That's what the off-hand is for. It can rise with your shooting hand, but it's not being used to propel the ball itself. It's just going to make sure the ball stays where it's supposed to until it's released.

5. Follow Through - Regrettebly, I once told my players to think "Oh Snap" when they released their shots. This was to remind them to follow through and snap their wrist as they shot.

Like So:

I don't exactly know how to explain why such a follow through is effective, but it is. It seems to ensure the ball follows the path you desire. Snapping the wrist (making it look like a duck's head) seems to provide a proper backspin on the ball, improving the range from which you may be able to shoot as well as providing a nice "touch" to your shot.

6. Jump Straight Up, Straight Down - Often, developing shooters tend to lean or drift or fall away any time they're not stationary prior to setting up for a jump shot. Regardless of situation - running off a pick, spotting up, pulling up on a fast break, shooting off the dribble - attempt to achieve your standard form. The idea is to keep things as simple as humanly possible. You want to teach your body the right way to shoot, then develop ways in games to put yourself in position to get off your desired shot.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 04-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Sheed
Serious playground baller

Sheed has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
4. Follow Through - Regrettebly, I once told my players to think "Oh Snap" when they released their shots. This was to remind them to follow through and snap their wrist as they shot.
That's awesome! I just started snapping my wrist. it works wonders.
Sheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
keep-itreal
High School Starter

keep-itreal is considered somewhat coolkeep-itreal is considered somewhat cool

Thanks Rake220 for that post. Really appreciate it.

I started using the snap wrist technique and it is really effective. really makes you feel like you're in control of the ball release.

But i'm still having issues with the whole elbow thing. I found myself kind of positioning my shoulders slightly diagonal towards the basket. My right shoulder is a bit closer to the basketball than the left shoulder in order to have my elbow lined up directly to the basket. Is this the correct shooting form? My shoulder isn't facing directly to it, just slightly turned, like 30 degree angle. I hope you guys can understand what I mean by this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHG8E-OFHI#t=1m53

For example, this derrick rose jumpshot, his shoulder is slightly turned where his right shoulder is in front of the left shoulder. Is that the right way to shoot?

Last edited by keep-itreal : 05-08-2011 at 12:27 AM.
keep-itreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Sheed
Serious playground baller

Sheed has an OK reputation so far

I took in a lot of what Rake said in his post when I went to go shoot around today. God ****ing damn. I was hitting at least 80% of my shots. Maybe I was just really hot or something but I know I had to be doing something right. The wrist snapping, the jump straight up, the elbows, etc. I've been practicing my shooting nonstop for about a year now and nothing seemed to be working, but now i'm glad I finally figured out what works best for me. Confidence = BOOSTED.

For the whole elbow thing, it's just like how Kobe and Paul Pierce shoot their fadeaways. That's how I think of it. like so:

I know, easier said than done. But if you think about it it's not too hard to do

Last edited by Sheed : 05-08-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Sheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Watch Dirk.

No matter how he got there, spinning, coming off the baseline screen or feet planted, catch & shoot, his elbow is always in the right place.

It's not easy to learn, but not only is it proper form, it's a very tough shot for a defender to bother.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: