Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Denver Nuggets Offseason Plans

Its safe to say the Nuggets are going to look a lot different next year. Question is, what moves do they make and who do they retain?

Free Agents:
Kenyon Martin
JR Smith

Restricted Free Agents:
Aaron Afflalo
Wilson Chandler

Expiring Contracts:
Nene (ETO) (11.6M)
Raymond Felton (7.56M)

Players under contract past next year:
Al Harrington
Birdman
Timofey Mozgov
Danillo Gallinari
Ty Lawson
Kosta Koufos

Depth Chart:
Pg: Ty Lawson, Raymond Felton
Sg: Aaron Afflalo
Sf: Danillo Gallinaru, Wilson Chandler
Pf: Al Harrington, Nene
C: Nene, Birdman, Timofey Mozgov

2011-2012 Team Salary: 41M

Now, it looks like Smith and Kenyon are gone, so they are not returning. That does leave holes in the lineup however. They seem to be overloaded at some positions, but lacking on other positions.

What to do with Ty Lawson and Raymond Felton. 2 talented point guards who are capable starters. They played Ty at point and Ray at the 2 for stintis during the game. Does a rotation of Ty, Felton and Afflalo work? Perhaps add another shooting guard? Or do they deal away Ty or Felton? I think Afflalo should be re-signed and they should math any offer within reason.

Small forward situation with Gallinari and Chandler. I really think Nuggets covet Gallinari over Chandler as we saw a decline in minutes for Chandler over the course of his stay in Denver. Chandler likely will field offers from multiple teams. Do the Nuggets match those offers?

Holes at the power forward spot. With Martin gone, their front line is very much depleted. Can Gallo play the 4 at times during the game? I wouldnt want him full time at the 4, but I think in certain matchups, he can play the 4. That leaves Al Harrington at the starting 4, which I don't like at all. nene can play some 4, but he likely plays mostly center next year.

Center will belong to Nene as of now and backup time designated to Birdman and Mozgov. Maybe Mozgov can elevate his game and he can be starting center and Nene moves to the 4.

A lot of their moves will depend on the direction they want to go and the players they want to keep as the core. Potential trade bait is Felton and nene bc they have expiring deals and are starting caliber players. Who do you guys think they should keep, let go or trade? I feel the Nuggets are in a great spot because they have a nice flux of talented players, and they have a good situation in regards to their cap. The moves they make this year could define who they are for the next 4+ years.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Denver Nuggets Offseason Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Center will belong to Nene as of now and backup time designated to Birdman and Mozgov. Maybe Mozgov can elevate his game and he can be starting center and Nene moves to the 4.
I feel like this is not only possible, but could be key. Mozgov can be very solid at center, and will get better with minutes and experience. Nene would be a big mismatch at the four. That would be a huge front line.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
I feel like this is not only possible, but could be key. Mozgov can be very solid at center, and will get better with minutes and experience. Nene would be a big mismatch at the four. That would be a huge front line.

It would be huge if he could. Not sure if he is ready. He got a lot of chances in NY and he barely got any PT in Denver
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
It would be huge if he could. Not sure if he is ready. He got a lot of chances in NY and he barely got any PT in Denver
But when he was on the court he looked good, at least later in the season. The difference he made against the Lakers and Andrew Bynum is a big reason for them winning that game. With Nene down low, he won't have to do much other than rebound and be tall.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

I agree with the last thing you said. If Mozgov can step up and give Karl a solid 20 minutes at center (I think he can), then it would allow Nene to play his natural PF position (where he could dominate IMO).

A crucial part of their off-season (most important IMO) would be re-signing Arron Afflalo, it shouldn't be hard considering he's restricted, I just feel they need him along with Lawson, Gallo and Nene as their building blocks.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Rnbizzle
Banned

They'll probable get rid of either Lawson or Felton, seems like the smart thing to do. Yeah it's cool to have 2 good point guards, but they should use their money better then that.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
But when he was on the court he looked good, at least later in the season. The difference he made against the Lakers and Andrew Bynum is a big reason for them winning that game. With Nene down low, he won't have to do much other than rebound and be tall.

I think he just needs to learn to defend consistently without fouling. This is the biggest problem young big men have entering the league. He averaged about 2 fouls a game on 11 mpg. He needs to learn to defend without fouling if he is to get consistent minutes
Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
I agree with the last thing you said. If Mozgov can step up and give Karl a solid 20 minutes at center (I think he can), then it would allow Nene to play his natural PF position (where he could dominate IMO).

A crucial part of their off-season (most important IMO) would be re-signing Arron Afflalo, it shouldn't be hard considering he's restricted, I just feel they need him along with Lawson, Gallo and Nene as their building blocks.

Mest def. they need to keep Afflalo. A top perimeter defender with excellent range and a developing offensive game. MLE money is good for him.

I think they should keep Nene but I guess it depends on how much he wants and if he wants to be in Denver.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

The only FA's they have are

(R) Wilson Chandler, will prob keep him
(R) Aaron Afflalo, will keep him
(UR) JR Swish, he pretty much gone
(UR) KMart, they better keep him.
(PO) Nene aint opting out considering there will be no CBA

The Nuggets will look exactly the same minus some end of bench players. Unless they move Felton if he starts complaining, but Karl likes the 2 pg attack.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

AA will be matched. I think one of J.R|K-Mart|Chandler will be back. Felton isn't going to back up Ty, so he'll probably be moved.

However if teams throw a retarded amount of money at guy's like AA|Chandler similar to the Wes Matthews situation last year I think it changes everything. You could see guy's like Nene moved for prospects|picks. Witch wouldn't happen if we retained a few guy's.

Biggest thing I'll be looking at is guy's like Ty|Gallo. Ty coming off his first half season starting. Gallo being in position to take on a much bigger role. Someone's going to need to step up and take a bigger role if this Nuggets team wants to do anything. Nene's mentality imo won't allow him to be that guy.

Nuggets either come back next year a little less deep, core more solid and defined or we see a fire sale because the offseason didn't go as planned and Denver becomes a team rebuilding.
NuggetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Looks like Nene wants out...this is really going to affect the team next year. It sounds like he will not re-sign with the Nuggets..

Quote:
Whenever the NBA gets around to having a free agent signing period after the lockout — an intense, condensed free agent signing period — Nene might make a lot of money. He might be the biggest name on the board.

That is, if he opts out of the $11.6 million he would get next year. And it feels more and more like he is going test the free agent market (even though talks about a three-year extension have taken place). Ask Nene why leave and he says it’s because he is not happy with the Nuggets, reports the Denver Post.

“I’ve been here for nine years,” said Nene, 28. “If that doesn’t work how you want it, you need to sit down and evaluate everything and see what you can do….

“If I play happy, if I enjoy the game, my game improves,” Nene said. “I did my best for the team, for the city. I tried to do my best for the fans. But the (Nuggets) need to understand you need to see the return on the other side, or you need to look for it. You need to look for it sometimes.

“They don’t realize all of the sacrifices I made. When you don’t feel appreciated, it’s hard.”

In a league where real centers are hard to come by, Nene has real value. He is a good defensive and rebounding center who also scored 14.5 points per game shooting 61.5 percent. Just about every team could use that.

The money Nene likely will draw will be comparable to what he would get if he picked up his option, maybe a couple million more. Players of his ilk are in the $12-$13 million a year ballpark. He likely would get a long-term deal however, he’s only 28 so teams may well offer whatever length the new collective bargaining agreement will allow.

He was key to a lot of Denver’s post-Carmelo success. Nene cannot carry a team, but he can be a key cog at a hard-to-fill position. The Nuggets need to find a way to convince him he is appreciated in Denver or they will have a big hole to fill in the middle.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-test-market/

Nuggets will really struggle to make the playoffs without a guy like Nene. That leaves them no starting quality bigman.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

If the Nuggets lose Nene for nothing, they're screwed, like lottery-bound screwed. I think he'll end up staying, although if he opts out it shows he really doesn't want to stay (b/c he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table and he can always talk about an extension with only Denver if he doesn't opt out). I think he can turn Golden State into a playoff team. I wonder if he's looking at Miami (of course with a paycut or sign and trade with Bosh and Felton involved?). He'd be sick in NY too, but they won't have the money to pull that off.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Droid101
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Its safe to say the Nuggets are going to look a lot different next year. Question is, what moves do they make and who do they retain?

Free Agents:
Kenyon Martin
JR Smith

Restricted Free Agents:
Aaron Afflalo
Wilson Chandler

Expiring Contracts:
Nene (ETO) (11.6M)
Raymond Felton (7.56M)

Uh, sorry, Raymond is not a free agent next season.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Uh, sorry, Raymond is not a free agent next season.

did I say he was? he is an expiring deal going into next year, so is nene if he doesnt opt out
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
kurple
5-time NBA All-Star

Let KMart and one of JR and Chandler go

Sign Chuck Hayes.

Hayes and Mozgov will rotate on who starts alongside Nene depending on the match-up

And try to get rid of Harrington

Lawson | Felton
Afflalo | JR/WC | Felton
Gallo | JR/WC
Hayes | Nene | Gallo
Nene | Mozgov | Bird
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: