Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
leonuxury
Can barely lace up my sneakers

leonuxury has an OK reputation so far
Talking Is basketball popular in USA?

I'm from China and basketball is more popular with Chinese young people than any other sports such as soccer or volleyball~
But I was told that basketball or rather NBA is not the most popular sport in America which is about the forth popular sports~
Is that true?
leonuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Ruh-Roh
Da Bulls.

Ruh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRuh-Roh is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is basketball popular in USA?

(American) Football is pretty easily #1, and Baseball arguably #2 although I think basketball and baseball are nearly interchangeable.

Basketball is still very popular, not just in the NBA, but March Madness etc.
Ruh-Roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
opps
Banned

opps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Yes very.
opps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

Apocalyptic0n3 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruh-Roh
(American) Football is pretty easily #1, and Baseball arguably #2 although I think basketball and baseball are nearly interchangeable.

Basketball is still very popular, not just in the NBA, but March Madness etc.

They really aren't. Baseball far and away dominates everything basketball related. It helps that they have nearly 5000 games every year in the majors alone, but they still are very far ahead of basketball. Expect it to be even larger a gap if the NBA locks out and misses some or all of their next season. At this point, the NBA could lose enough audience from a lockout that the NHL may take the 3rd spot amongst pro leagues.

And to the OP, yeah. Basketball is not nearly as popular here as it is overseas. Though, to be honest, China may be the only country in the world where basketball is most popular. Other than a few countries (America with football, Canada/Russia/Scandanavia with hockey, Australia/New Zealand with rugby, Japan/Latin America with baseball), the vast majority of the world has soccer as their most popular sport.

Last edited by Apocalyptic0n3 : 05-02-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic0n3
They really aren't. Baseball far and away dominates everything basketball related. It helps that they have nearly 5000 games every year in the majors alone, but they still are very far ahead of basketball. Expect it to be even larger a gap if the NBA locks out and misses some or all of their next season. At this point, the NBA could lose enough audience from a lockout that the NHL may take the 3rd spot amongst pro leagues.

And to the OP, yeah. Basketball is not nearly as popular here as it is overseas. Though, to be honest, China may be the only country in the world where basketball is most popular. Other than a few countries (America with football, Canada/Russia/Scandanavia with basketball, Australia/New Zealand with rugby, Japan/Latin America with baseball), the vast majority of the world has soccer as their most popular sport.

I hope u mean ice hockey.

Last edited by Sakkreth : 05-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

Apocalyptic0n3 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkreth

I hope u mean ice hockey.

Yep, that is my mistake. I'll fix it right now. That's what I get for trying to work and post on here at the same time.
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Football is number 1 by far now.

Baseball is still clearly number 2....although this is slowly changing and the gap will really narrow over the next 10 years given the generational changes going on right now.

The NBA can't afford a lockout or missed time. It would be devastating right now. Absolutely horrible.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

not as popular as Badminton here in the U.S.A.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
BGriffOwnsAKia
I brick open layups

BGriffOwnsAKia has an OK reputation so far

3rd popular sport.
But, some of the NBA's athletes are more well known than MLB stars.
BGriffOwnsAKia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

3rd....for a brief minute in the 90's it was 2nd, after the MLB strike of '94 and Jordan/Bulls and all those other stars of that time.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
az00m
bet purple 3/05/11

az00m has decent reputationaz00m has decent reputation

basketball is the most popular sport to get together with your friends and play I believe.

I mean I drive past courts all the time and there are always people there.
az00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Inactive
Local High School Star

Inactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by az00m
basketball is the most popular sport to get together with your friends and play I believe.

I mean I drive past courts all the time and there are always people there.
Yeah more people probably play basketball, than any other sport, in the U.S. NBA stars tend to be more relevant as celebrities, than other sports stars, and I hear more people talk about basketball than any sport other than football.

People just don't watch the games, for some reason.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
NauruDude
Banned

NauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputationNauruDude has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic0n3

And to the OP, yeah. Basketball is not nearly as popular here as it is overseas. Though, to be honest, China may be the only country in the world where basketball is most popular. Other than a few countries (America with football, Canada/Russia/Scandanavia with hockey, Australia/New Zealand with rugby, Japan/Latin America with baseball), the vast majority of the world has soccer as their most popular sport.

Russia and Scandinva have defo football most popular. India has cricket.
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
silenc
I airball my layups

silenc has an OK reputation so far

I'm from Latvia. Ice-hockey is most popular sport. NBA ir most popular league. Michael Jordan is most famous athlete in here.

I also know that in Philippines basketball is #1 sport, boxing #2 despite their hero Manny Pacquiao.

Last edited by silenc : 05-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.
silenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Basketball as a sport, is firmly number 2 in the US.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: