Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
vincentda
Decent playground baller

vincentda has decent reputationvincentda has decent reputation
Default Air Up There Challenges Blake Griffin to a dunk contest

Yes it's a publicity stunt from Air Up There's new streetball crew BallUp but it's interesting.

Dime Mag link: http://bit.ly/iBtO86

Air Up There is the Sprite Showdown Champion from 2 years ago that had LeBron going nuts and also the guy that did the 720 dunk back in the And1 days. He's by far the better contest dunker and against his (much much weaker) competition you could argue that AUT has just as exciting if not more exciting game dunks.
vincentda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Air Up There Challenges Blake Griffin to a dunk contest

Blake doesnt have the balls to take on that challenge.

Air Up there is filthy sick
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
hkfosho
National High School Star

hkfosho has not been impressing people

Griffin jumps over the hood of a sedan

Air up there jumps over a giraffe
hkfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

What does Blake have to prove to a street ball scrub? He's getting paid. In game dunks are always going to be more impressive and difficult which is why you have immortalized in game dunks like Jordan on Ewing or Hakeem. Or Vince Carter on Fred Weis. In an interview right now on ESPN Blake said "You know I'm not really a dunk contest guy". He's not naturally flashy and I think he just entered this year so he never became Lebron. Where with Lebron people almost consider him a chump for talking about the dunk contest yet constantly dodging it.

Blake may not have deserved to win but nonetheless he won and there is no reason he should enter again. Air Up There... would beat him in a dunk contest because streetball is based on highlights and clowning each other, not winning or competing at the highest level. I'm sure a million guys in the world could beat Blake in a dunk contest. I'd like to see Air Up There play in an NBA game against Blake. When guys like Iverson, Carter and Kobe played at Rucker's park.. or with And 1.. they crushed the street ballers.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
vincentda
Decent playground baller

vincentda has decent reputationvincentda has decent reputation

Reminds me of when Ronnie Fields use to always challenge Michael Jordan. MJ was too busy winning championships, making tens of millions and becoming a legend to care about challenges from people he will never have to face in the league.
vincentda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentda
Reminds me of when Ronnie Fields use to always challenge Michael Jordan. MJ was too busy winning championships, making tens of millions and becoming a legend to care about challenges from people he will never have to face in the league.

Exactly lol. Who cares about a dunk contest? It's fun.. and nice to do... but what's the value of it in the way of judging someone as a player?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who cares about a dunk contest? Then why the hell is the Kia car commercial showing Blake Griffins weak cap dunk? Then why are bball fans dispite half always complaining about it? They are tuning in to see the NBA dunk contest? Lets not downplay the dunk contests. Blake is only popular because of his dunks and highlight reels. People love watching human beings do dunks they simple can not and most likely never will be able to do. Nothin wrong with seeing a great street ball dunker challenge an NBA dunker who has been hyped up this season with his in game dunking. Why call dude a scrub tho? Thats your fanhood kicking in for Blake again.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Who cares about a dunk contest? Then why the hell is the Kia car commercial showing Blake Griffins weak cap dunk? Then why are bball fans dispite half always complaining about it? They are tuning in to see the NBA dunk contest? Lets not downplay the dunk contests. Blake is only popular because of his dunks and highlight reels. People love watching human beings do dunks they simple can not and most likely never will be able to do. Nothin wrong with seeing a great street ball dunker challenge an NBA dunker who has been hyped up this season with his in game dunking. Why call dude a scrub tho? Thats your fanhood kicking in for Blake again.

Fair enough. Marketing and fans do care.. I just meant... let's say he took him up on the offer and lost, then what? People would say Blake sucks? Blake's overrated? What would it prove? He's not the best dunker? We already know that. He has absolutely nothing to gain from it. I understand doing it for fun or w/e but I doubt AUT is wanting to challenge Blake for fun. He's doing it to gain publicity..maybe prove Blake isn't sh**? I'm sure between Eric Gordon, Eric Bledsoe, DJ and Aminu Blake has plenty of fun dunking competition in practices and all that considering all are superb athletes and DJ dunks on Blake's level.

Let's be fair here GOBB. And 1 ballers compared to an NBA all star/superstar ARE scrubs. How many have tried and failed to make it in training camps? Only good one was Rafer.. aka Skip To My Lou. It's not an insult because he would demolish me or any average Joe.. but compared to an NBA star.. he would be a scrub obviously.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 05-04-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Fair enough. Marketing and fans do care.. I just meant... let's say he took him up on the offer and lost, then what? People would say Blake sucks? Blake's overrated? What would it prove? He's not the best dunker? We already know that.

Its just entertainment. For some fans its a dream. When the NBA dunk contest is here people flirt with the idea it would be cool to see the street baller dunkers vs the NBA dunkers. Blake loses, he loses. Fans will bust his balls for it but at the end they will respect the fact he took on a challenge where others passed it up. And who knows Blake could do dunks people talk about regardless if he were to lose. Thats how I look at it. Of course with anyone you'll get extremist who take it overboard. Blake and AUP could play Go Fish and the loser will have a select few ride him hard.

To me it proves an NBA player isnt afraid to take on a challenge where he could end up a loser. Thats something fans of the NBA have said about NBA players who pass up entering the dunk contest. Blake would get props just for taking on such a challenge.

Quote:
“If Griffin is up to the challenge, fans will be the true winners as this will undoubtedly be a great showdown between two talented athletes,” notes Ball Up CEO, Demetrius Spencer, in a press release.

^^^thats basically what it'll boil down too. Fans who love the dunk will be treated.

To add on what you edited in your post. We dont know how AUP thinks. He is probably a humble dude who feels this not only would be entertaining for fans but could help him out as well. Sure its publicity. But good publicity. Blake doesnt have to acknowledge it tho. And I cant call AUP a scrub because he challenged Blake to a dunk off. When AUP starts talkin down on Blake, NBA players and how he could do this and that in the NBA? Then ok, you can pull out the scrub argument. But AUP is making the most out of his career playing basketball since its not in the NBA. I cant knock that. He gets paid to do what he loves to do. Which is entertain fans by playing ball. And him just dunking is a treat for fans. Thats a scrub? I mean you attacked dude for no reason. Where in the article did Blake get bashed? Unless I misread or something. I think you're being unfair to talk down on dude for no reason.

Last edited by GOBB : 05-04-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Its just entertainment. For some fans its a dream. When the NBA dunk contest is here people flirt with the idea it would be cool to see the street baller dunkers vs the NBA dunkers. Blake loses, he loses. Fans will bust his balls for it but at the end they will respect the fact he took on a challenge where others passed it up. And who knows Blake could do dunks people talk about regardless if he were to lose. Thats how I look at it. Of course with anyone you'll get extremist who take it overboard. Blake and AUP could play Go Fish and the loser will have a select few ride him hard.

To me it proves an NBA player isnt afraid to take on a challenge where he could end up a loser. Thats something fans of the NBA have said about NBA players who pass up entering the dunk contest. Blake would get props just for taking on such a challenge.

^^^thats basically what it'll boil down too. Fans who love the dunk will be treated.

I agree with you... although him even joining the dunk contest proved he was willing to challenge doubters to some degree right? How many legit star players do the dunk contest? Lebron has dodged out like 4 times now after saying he wanted in.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: